Corsair Community

Vengeance Memory question

histrydude

Hi, a year ago I build my PB (with the help of a friend picking out parts and For memory, I got CMW32GX4M2C3200C16. I am attempting to double it and purchased from New Egg the same exact memory kit (16x2). They sent me the CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 instead. From what I can tell, the only difference is the timing, the C is 16-18-18-36 and the E is 16-20-20-38. The voltage and latency and all that is the same. I put it in and the system is running fine and is registering the full 64GB. I don't know if the timing is something to worry about and will cause problems down the line (or sooner). Should I return it and insist they send me the C or am I find sticking with the E.

Thanks,

Rich

if it works, you're l one of the few lucky ones.

there's a lot of secondary timings and other parameters that change between different chip models, so, buying separate kits to make them work combined is pretty much a matter of luck.

Usually it's adviseable to get a matched kit instead of two separate ones, even if the model number and primary timings are identical.

It's annoying since it means repurposing or reselling the previous ram sticks, but it's the safer way to go.

Thanks for the reply. It works, but…I don’t know if it will cause problems down the line. I really have not had time to “road test” it yet. BTW, I did buy the exact same kit as I had already, but New Egg sent the wrong one. I am guessing that the E is an update on the C (timing) but does that make a difference? I still have time to return it and demand the one I ordered but I’m not sure if it is not worth the time. Thoughts?

Thanks

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!  The two different DIMM kits worked together because I was running them at their out of the box speed, 2133MHz and not 3200MHz. Then a friend told me that I needed to go into the BIOS and switch the memory from Auto to DOCP (for AMD, XMP if it was an Intel machine).  So I did this and the OS would not boot at 3200MHz.  So the timings on those two different models did make a difference.  So I removed the new ones and ran the old ones at 32MHz and WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE in speed and performance over what I had the past year since I built it.  I wish I had known that before.  

However, I was still determined to get my machine from 32GB to 64GB.  I ordered the same C3200 from another third party NEWEGG vendor and once again I received E3200, Ugghh,  |:-(.  So I sent those back and finally had to accept that I can no longer find the C3200 kits.  I ordered a 64BG kit (16x4) and these were the E3200.  They work fine and I am happy.  Let me share something I learned, most people probably know this already but I had to learn it through deduction and trial and error.  Before you try to put in a different memory kit with different timings, you don't want to start out at the full speed.  I did that and I could not even get to the BIOS.  I needed to put my old DIMMS back in, go into the bios, and switch it back to Auto (2133MHz).  Then I shut down and put the new ones in and the PC started fine at 2133MHz.  Then I could go into the BIOS and switch it to DOCP to get it to run at 3200MHz.  So I guess the motherboard will not recognize new memory if the memory setting in the BIOS is already in overclock mode. You need to start out in Auto and let it start up once at the slower speed in order for the system to recognize them, then you can overclock it.  Just wanted to share for anyone else who may run into this problem.  BTW, the 64GB kit set me back $416 (with tax) in addition to the original 32GB kit (now sitting in a box) which I bought a little over a year ago when I built the PC.  I took the hit so I can future proof my machine as long as possible.  It would have been best to start right out at 64GB but with that Ryzen 9 3900x monster costing a tone of $$ and all of the other parts, the cost got out of control and I figured adding an additonal 32GB later would be easy.  Lesson learned, it can be more costly in the long run.  But still, no regrets because my wife was ready to kill me when she found out the final cost of the original build.😮