Corsair Community

SF750: 3 PCIe Cables required: Can I take an additional PCIe from Premium Cable Kit?

tyrannosaurus

Sorry for opening another thread but I can't find an answer here and I have to prepare my RTX3080 video card change.

@OP you can use an SF750, but just know that it is the minimum wattage that your would need for the card, I would suggest if you do use this PSU, I would avoid heavy overclocking.

I would suggest follow this recommended PSU table from tomshardware.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-rtx-3000-power-supply-requirements-PSU-shortage-2020

Thank you for your support and the very helpful link which shows clearly my next SFF Alderlake built needs a stronger SFX PSU. Hopefully there will be SF850+ in future.

What my SF750 concerns: I'm not overclocking.

My RTX 3080 needs 3 x 8-Pin-PCIe.

The SF750 has only 2 PCIe splitting in two connectors. So is there a difference using 1 PCIe and 1 PCIe splitted in two and on the other hand using 3 discrete PCIe cables? I mean do I get more wattage with 3 separate PCIe cables or doesn't it matter.

Can I use one of the PCIe cables from the Premium PSU Cable Kit for the SF750?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/premium-individually-sleeved-psu-cable-kit-pro-package-type-4-generation-3-config/p/CP-8920157

Edited by tyrannosaurus

if the PSU has a free connector it won't hurt :)

In general it's not necesary to use 3 discrete cables unless you heavily overclock or shunt mod, but it looks badass.

3090s that are rated higher still use 2x PCIE.

I still don't get it.

My SF750 has 4 PCIe slots. One for CPU. 3 slots free for PCIe.

My RTX 3080 needs mandatorily 3 PCIe cables.

There a 2 ways to connect:

1.)

One PCIe directly in slot one.

Next PCIe which is splitted in 2 cables in slot two and three.

2.)

3 different PCIe cables in slot one, two and three.

2 PCIe cables from the package.

1 PCIe cable from the Premium PSU Cable Kit which I have lying around.

So does it make any difference and if in which way? Does it suffice chosing the split solution 1.) and are there any advantages in 2.)?

Edited by tyrannosaurus

My Corsair cable box has lots of single PCIe cables and pigtail PCIe cables.

I have many power pig cards and I found the single cable and pigtail combination works with cards want three PCIe cable connections.

Try a R9 Fury card which needs over 300W of power to run it. The RX 480 was actually slightly more powerful while using less power.