Corsair Community

Corsair Cooling Block

7SinsLust

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum.

However, I got a question though.

I have purchased this corsair cooling block from SVC.com and shipped it home to Malaysia.

Soon to realize that I did not get an A64 Kit to use,

rather got an Athlon XP CPU block instead.

Picture showed that the totally flat surface was available and "includes AthlonXP CPU cooling block. Looks like Its a total misinterpretation.

Now, my question is, am I able to use this for the A64 or should it be not recommended?

There could be a slight chance that a fraction of the CPU maybe exposed.

don't think SVC would want to ship internationally. I am now in Malaysia.

sigh, neither do I want to see my $200 bucks to waste.

any suggestions? does corsair honor a replacement or a purchase to asia?

The XP water block would physically work on your A64 but you would still need to get the correct retension bracket for the block to mount to the A64. I would not recommend doing this as one edge of the heat spreader on the A64 cpu would be exposed. The quickest and safest way to fix the problem is to order a Swiftech MC6000 cpu water block online and have it shipped to Malaysia. It's about $40.00 + shipping online and it will come with the correct retension bracket. Make sure you get the 3/8" version. It will work flawlessly with your Corsair COOL kit as it is almost identical to the COOL block (Corsair and Swiftech colaborated on designing the COOL). You could try to RMA it back to Corsair, but they will probably want you to sent the whole kit back for replacement. The shipping alone to get the RMA part/kit back to the US would cost you as much as just buying the correct water block online. Good luck!

The XP water block would physically work on your A64 but you would still need to get the correct retension bracket for the block to mount to the A64. I would not recommend doing this as one edge of the heat spreader on the A64 cpu would be exposed. The quickest and safest way to fix the problem is to order a Swiftech MC6000 cpu water block online and have it shipped to Malaysia. It's about $40.00 + shipping online and it will come with the correct retension bracket. Make sure you get the 3/8" version. It will work flawlessly with your Corsair COOL kit as it is almost identical to the COOL block (Corsair and Swiftech colaborated on designing the COOL). You could try to RMA it back to Corsair, but they will probably want you to sent the whole kit back for replacement. The shipping alone to get the RMA part/kit back to the US would cost you as much as just buying the correct water block online. Good luck!

Thank you, I will look into it,

I still have my US account open,

so I will try and order as u have suggested.

thanks so much

Thank you, I will look into it,

I still have my US account open,

so I will try and order as u have suggested.

thanks so much

cost me a whoopin $70.. sigh what a price to pay coz I took for granted that SVC sent me the right kit.

now the waiting time...

• 3 weeks later...
cost me a whoopin $70.. sigh what a price to pay coz I took for granted that SVC sent me the right kit.

now the waiting time...

now that i have got everything installed properly,

and I am looking at the temperature now, 35 C on idle,

does it actually justify the price of the water cooling kit considering on stock cooling I have about 41 to 42 C with the same Overclocked settings

thought I used to get 33 C as idle, maybe not today..

Actually, 35c idle is good for a overclocked A64 with water cooling. You have to understand that water cooling is not the end all be all for cpu cooling. You will never ever get anywhere close to the cooling levels of say phase change cooling (refridgeration). The water temp will never be below ambient temp thus the cpu will never get below abient or even close, but water cooling is more efficiant than air cooling even though not by a large margin over top end air cooling. The two major advantages are: its' usually quieter (sometimes much quieter), and core cool down time from load to idle is quicker. My cpu core temp will drop from full load temp to idle temp in about 3-4 minutes when I let my system go idle after running it at full load. This is with the added heat load of also water cooling my north bridge and video gpu/mem. The only fans I have running in the system are one at the front, and one at the rear plus the one for the radiator. Fan noise is so low that I can actually hear the water pump hum when my system is running. Also realize that the Corsair Cool kit is what would be considered a midrange cooling kit. It uses 3/8" ID tubing (not 1/2" ID), has a fairly low flow pump (94 gph) and uses a fairly low cfm fan on the radiator. It's a balance between performance and noise. You can improve the performance by using a higher cfm fan on the radiator (but this will increase noise). Also you can add a fan shroud to help reduce the dead spot at the center of the fan. Both of these together would probably get you a few more degrees celcius lower temps.

The big key to water cooling is the surface area of the radiator. In this case, bigger is much better. With my A64 system, also cooling a X800XL video card, my idle temps are right around room air temp, but I'm also running dual dual fan heater cores with 4 low speed fans in a push/pull configuration. It's still almost silent when the fans are turned down and even when they're turned up, I can still hear my water pump.

DSC01787.JPG.a48830054fa7c62b4d3be1fefaf71bc3.JPG

DSC01775.JPG.9632ac90708990e8d224c2734337458b.JPG

DSC01778.JPG.7ec75516034dfc819034caf06f2aa890.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived