Corsair Community

SP120 RGB Pro fan speed control

I have a new PC with Corsair Node Core RGB controller. The Corsair case came with 3 SP 120 fans. I have added an additional 3 SP 120 fans, so they are all powered from an Arctic fan hub as there were insufficient fan headers on the board. They power up fine and the icue software controls the RGB side of things no problem. However, I have no control over the fans speed. They seem to be running flat out all the time. I've read somewhere that this is because the fans have a 3 pin power connector, not 4? If I swap the node core controller out for a Commander Pro controller, will that solve the problem? Will that provide sufficient power and RGB control to all 6 fans, or will I still need the hub or node core controller?

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide on this!

you can still try to change the fan speed from the motherboard software (Asus AI suite).

If it doesn't work because of the PWM hub, then you can use simple splitter cables and you're good to go.

In bios you can select what type of control on each fan header : DC (3 pin), or PWM (4 pin)

The Commander Pro will do the same job, but you'll have fan control in iCUE, that's the only difference. If you go the CoPro route, it's adviseable in that case NOT to use splitters when driving 3 pin fans. (but that's good, you have 6 fans for 6 ports)

Many thanks for the swift reply.

I've already tried with the ASUS software and it only recognises the CPU fan. Will the Commander Pro provide power, fan speed control and RGB control to all 6 fans, without the existing fan hub and / or the node core controller?

The commander pro has PWM and RGB yes, but you can't connect fan RGB directly to it.

It has two general RGB outputs (3 pin).

To connect fans to it you use a Corsair RGB fan hub that has 6 RGB connectors for fans.

You could just remove the Arctic fan hub, and connect the fan PWM to the CoPro, and leave the Node Core for RGB control.

That would leave you two free RGB channels for other things like LED strips if you chose to install some.

You wouldn't gain any real estate removing the Node core since you need to add a RGB fan hub, so, you may as well keep it as it is, and just add the CoPro.

The SP-Pro (and SP-RGB) are DC voltage control fans. They always will run at 100% when given the 12v PWM signal. You don’t want a PWM repeater for this job. A Commander Pro can do DC or PWM speed control.

However, it’s not a straight switch on lighting. The “Pro” devices have 2 RGB channels and then use separate RGB Lighting hubs to power the fans. You need one of those to move the fan RGB to the C-Pro. However, your existing Lighting Node Core from the SP-Pro pack will still work. RGB and fan control do not have to be on the same device.

A further complication is the usb pass through ports on the Commander Pro may not work with your B550 board. This is a common issue on x570, B450/550. You may need to check available USB ports. Easy to run out.

Correct. The C-Pro only does the PWM control while also providing 2 extra RGB channels should you ever need them (strips, fans, other RGB gear). The existing LN Core continues lighting duties. This means no re-programming. If you move the fans to a RGB hub on the Commander you will need to redo the lighting. That can range from inconsequential to a major time investment depending on the complexity of your effects.

The only arguments against this way to set it up are you may need a powered USB hub to handle your number of internal USB connections ($20) and it takes up slightly more room since the LN Core is slightly larger than a RGB lighting hub. However, since a RGB hub would set you back at least $15, the trade off is really only for space or perceived neatness.