Corsair Community

H150i Elite Capellix & Cpu temp?

Hello all,

I have a H150i Elite Capellix 360 Aio cooler. I have been noticing big temperature difference between the Aio water temps and the Cpu. The Aio will say the liquid tempts at 35c and and Cpu will be at 35c not under load. But when Cpu is under load and running at 65c or higher. The Aio will still say it at 35c, even after a hour. Is this Right? Shouldnt the temp come up on the Aio? It has me worried that either the paste on the Aio isnt as good as it should be or that the waterblock not seated right. I have check everything and made sure the mount screws are tight. The system is only a few months old, didnt notice the temperature difference between Aio and cpu until now. Dont remember ever having seen it before now.

Should I re-paste the water block? (paste currently on it is from factory) and reseat the block?

Thanks for any suggestion.

You don’t need to re-paste and the cooler is operating normally. If there was a contact problem between CPU and cold plate, it would be evident at both idle and short load situations. You would not be able to have an idle cpu temp at the coolant temp level. Even the lowest ~0.625v Vcore level would cause moderate cpu temps. Coolant temp is the lowest possible cpu temp and you are idling right there. That is as low as it goes. Contact issues are also usually evident on quick tasks like opening programs. If you launch iTunes and see 80-100C, something is wrong.

Your cpu cooling is done in two stages. The first level is conductive from CPU->TIM->Cold Plate->Water. The effectiveness of this is limited by the materials involved and by the voltage more than anything else. Voltage levels + cpu activity will determine your cpu temp in any particular moment. You can connect a radiator the size of house to the other end, but you still can’t boot up at 1.85v because it is instantly too hot.

The liquid, radiator, and fans are the second stage. Heat is conducted into the liquid which is then pumped through the radiator to blow off some of that heat. The key here is the coolant temp is the minimum possible cpu temp and a +1C increase to coolant is thus a +1C to CPU temp. Radiator size and fan speed have a long term effect on cpu temp, but in the first few seconds most cooling solutions offer the same results. However, the longer the load is maintained, the more the cooling system must to do not to show escalating temperatures.

Your coolant temp isn’t moving around much because the 360mm radiator and fans are able to dump as much heat as you are putting in. This a good situation. You can witness what happens when the balance tips the other way by running something like Cinebench R23 for 10 min while limiting your fans to 400 rpm. With power limits off, that would be about 235-250W on the 10700K and the low fan speed would not dissipate that level of wattage. You would also be able to see the cpu temps get worse and worse each pass as the coolant temp builds.