Corsair Community

Two Bad Memory Modules

Memory: Two sticks of 256mb Corsair ram XMS3200

CMX256A-3200LL

I was having a big issue of stability with my PC, a custom built nforce3 based amd64 system. Random reboots, bluescreens, and such. Tested both memory sticks indivually with memtest86 (not plus) got a ton of errors on one stick only on test 6, and a few on the other stick on some other tests. I put a 512mb stick of mushkin ram in my pc, memtest came up with 0 errors and Ive been running my system stable for about 2 months now. I've been busy and haven't had time to troubleshoot them on another system.

I brought my two sticks into work today, and tested them both on one of our Dell Optiplex GX260 test systems using memtest86+ 1.55 and recieved 2 errors on test 3, 69 errors on test 6.

I believe that both sticks are defective.

• Corsair Employees

The Dell or any OEM system may not be able to run these modules.

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The Dell or any OEM system may not be able to run these modules.

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The Dell system ran it and booted into WindowsXP fine. I did not test it beyond booting into OS, but did run the memtest using that system since all hardware in it is known to be good. The motherboard I am running is a Chaintech VNF-250 with an AMD 2800. BIOS settings are set to the optimized default setting, with no additional changes. FSB/DDR memory frequency is set at 200.

The part# is: CMX256A-3200LL for both sticks. They are matched sticks.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived