Corsair Community

New PC build, first contact with all that RGB complications

First of all i want to say hi. This is my first thread on this forum. Recently I decided to change my black/white led fans style of PC to completely white/rgb style with just small addiction of black. So to make my plan become true I bought Corsair iCue 4000x rgb white case, new power supply with white wires - corsair rm750x 80+ gold, one fan at the back of the case - LL120 White RGB and AiO from Lian Li Galahad 240mm. I know that case on it back (in cable-managment area) has some kind of rgb controller? Is this „device” enough to control all rgb functions and fans speed or do i have to buy something in addiction to control it? I think my mainboard doesn’t have any rgb plug-in and thats why I created this thread to ask you :)

So my new PC will be:

Z370 Krait Gaming

GTX Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme

Intel Core i5 8600k

BeQuiet 750w 80+ Bronze -> new: Corsair RM750X White 80+ Gold Modular

Sharkoon TG5 White LED Fans -> new: Corsair iCue 4000x White RGB

New fan at the back - Corsair LL120 White RGB

16 GB of ram 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX cl15 3000hz White (it will stay for a moment) but going to change soon for Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB or 32 GB in 4 sticks

Thermalright Macho rev.b HR-02 -> new: Lian Li Galahad AiO 240mm White

And some ssd and hdd.

The 4000X case comes with 3 SP-Elite RGB fans and a lighting controller (Lighting Node Core). You can connect the 1 single LL fan to the #4 slot on the LNC controller, but this will raise a new issue. Corsair programming is done on a fan unit basis and the number of LEDs/fan is the key to whether an effect is represented properly. Mixing two different LED count fans (SP-Elite=8, LL=16) creates some issues. Aside from the programming, the LL has an outer ring a specific designed effects for it, while the SP-Elite is 8 center mounted LEDs. It cannot do the special ring effects for QL/LL.

All that said, you can get this specific combination to work in a reasonable manner. The LL fan needs to be #4 with the SP-Elite 1-3. In CUE Lighting Set-up, designate this as "8 LED fan x 5". In CUE 3 is be labeled as "SP-Pro/Elite". This effective makes the LL fan the combination of the last two SP-Elite fans in the program UI. This should work OK for almost all presets, other than the LL will have a higher effect density compared to the SP-E. Since it is not adjacent to any of the SP-Elite fans, I think this is a best possible case for mixing fan types.

Thank you for replay. As I understand it is possible to make it works but i have to change some options in Corsair’s rgb software, by showing it that LL120 is just 8LL not 16LL fan? And it will make it works with 3 front fans, but it can’t do all lightnings effect as it could if it were 4 LL fans? And how about controling fans speed through bios/software? Will this option be possible? And how about connecting LNC to the mainboard? Where it should be plugged? Sorry for all those stupid questions but I’d love to have it all clear :))

With Corsair RGB fans, speed control and RGB lighting are completely separate with one wire for each. The RGB requires a Corsair controller, but the speed/power connection can go to any PWM capable header. Your MB will work for this.

The Lighting Node Core will connect to the MB via a USB 2.0 internal connection. This is typically on the bottom of the MB.

Changing the lighting configuration in the software is easy and only takes a few seconds. However, most Corsair controllers must be designated with a fan type and number. The fans will not light up until you do.

So I just need to buy one PWM capable header? Is 3 x 4 pin PWM header with 30cm length will be enough or it must be at least 4 x 4?

So 1 fan has 2 wires? 1 for speed control and 1 for RGB? RGB goes to Corsair’s device and then i plug it into mainboard’s USB. And then if we talk about fans control I must connect all cables together through PWM header and then PWM Header PIT into CPU-fan slot on mainboard? Did i understand that clearly?

As u see Im really dum* but u help me a lot, thanks…

Edited by Fingersik

So I just need to buy one PWM capable header? Is 3 x 4 pin PWM header with 30cm length will be enough or it must be at least 4 x 4?

So 1 fan has 2 wires? 1 for speed control and 1 for RGB? RGB goes to Corsair’s device and then i plug it into mainboard’s USB. And then if we talk about fans control I must connect all cables together through PWM header and then PWM Header PIT into CPU-fan slot on mainboard? Did i understand that clearly?

As u see Im really dum* but u help me a lot, thanks…

I meant „PWM Header put into” not PIT. Its just my language auto-correct

You should not need to buy anything beyond what you listed in the first post. The case will come with the lighting controller. No additional hardware needed.

Those same fans will connect to the MB for PWM control. You have 4 Corsair and surely there are 4 MB fan headers. The mystery is the Lian Li AIO. I am not familiar with it, but a quick look suggests it does not have an onboard fan controller so it will need a fan header for its pair. There does appear to be a PWM splitter included for the pair. You also may need to connect the pump RPM wire to CPU-Fan or an AIO fan header to get pump speed. At 6 fan headers, you might need a PWM splitter or two for the case fans.

Just in case I ordered 2 Deepcool Fan-HUB FH-04. Each has 4 slots so I think it should be enough. Can u explain me please how does AiO wires work? Does it have 3 or 4 wires? Like 1 for pump, 1 from radiator and 2 from fans? And where to plug then?

That's a good idea and the PWM repeater solved several issues. The front 3 fans can easily be on that.

I am not certain on the AIO and I have not seen one before now. It appears to have a small remote for RGB control and SATA for power. I don't see any connection slot for fans, so that suggests they will need to go to the MB. There is a pump tachometer wire so you can see the speed of that. You might look for a professional review of that product. They usually have better pictures and some explanation.

Thank you for responses Im much more confident and it doesnt bother me so hard now :D I have one question off the topic. I have vercital mount for GPU from Cooler Master v2. But its all black and im thinking about spraying it to white-matte color using Montana Black Snow White. Do u think it might be problematic? I mean temperatures of gpu might jump even to 80 degrees and im not sure how this „paint” will react, because it will be next to all that heat generated from gpu etc.