Corsair Community

Hi all,

I have just finished my new build and decided to go with an h150i elite cappelix and 6 SP120 RGB Elite fans.

The current set up uses the included RGB hub with a triple pack of fans, this is connected to the usb socket of a commander pro where the power for the 6 SP120 fans is also plugged in.

The h150i is connected to the commander core that it came with, that is working fine with full fan speed control and RGB control.

After following the steps on the FAQ page, I'm still unable to control any of the RGB on any of the SP120 fans. It's stuck on permanent rainbow mode. I am also only able to control the speed of three of the fans, once I installed the iCue software the other three fans stopped spinning and I'm not able to get them back on.

If anyone has any troubleshooting tips or advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

So this is 3 ML-elite from the AIO kit on the Com Core and then 6 SP-Elite on an additional controller, Lighting Node Core connected to a 3rd controller -- Commander pro?

First, try connecting the Lighting Node Core with the SP-Elite directly to a MB USB. The Commander Pro USB ports are literal passthroughs. No device to device communication there. We see problems with this on the AMD x570/B450/550 series. So I am wondering if that is part of your new build vs the Z170 in the specs. If so, the answer is to use a powered USB hub to overcome the MBs low output on the USB ports.

If that is not the case, we'll need to look more deeply. Do make sure you set the fans to "8 LED" in the Lighting Set-up for CUE 4 and not the SP-RGB choice. This is not as clear as in CUE where it lists them by type (SP-Pro/Elite/ML-Elite).

RPM control is separate. The Commander Core uses an auto-detect feature for both PWM power and RGB ports. If it makes a mistake, you may need to do a full shutdown and then boot to power cycle the Com Core. There is an auto-detect function for RGB you can re-run, but not detecting the PWM side usually requires a second go. You may need to elaborate more about which fans are connected to which PWM ports and their status.

So this is 3 ML-elite from the AIO kit on the Com Core and then 6 SP-Elite on an additional controller, Lighting Node Core connected to a 3rd controller -- Commander pro?

First, try connecting the Lighting Node Core with the SP-Elite directly to a MB USB. The Commander Pro USB ports are literal passthroughs. No device to device communication there. We see problems with this on the AMD x570/B450/550 series. So I am wondering if that is part of your new build vs the Z170 in the specs. If so, the answer is to use a powered USB hub to overcome the MBs low output on the USB ports.

If that is not the case, we'll need to look more deeply. Do make sure you set the fans to "8 LED" in the Lighting Set-up for CUE 4 and not the SP-RGB choice. This is not as clear as in CUE where it lists them by type (SP-Pro/Elite/ML-Elite).

RPM control is separate. The Commander Core uses an auto-detect feature for both PWM power and RGB ports. If it makes a mistake, you may need to do a full shutdown and then boot to power cycle the Com Core. There is an auto-detect function for RGB you can re-run, but not detecting the PWM side usually requires a second go. You may need to elaborate more about which fans are connected to which PWM ports and their status.

I am using an x570 board yes. The Asus X570 prime-pro. So I can't use the commander pro as a usb pass through with this motherboard? Even though it is powered, does this not make it a powered usb hub in a sense?

I've managed to get the fan rpm control working after a couple of restarts, so it's just the RGB control I'm missing now

The SATA power to the Commander Pro is providing power for the fan controller and RGB elements that run from the device. It does not amplify the USB signal in any way and is a straight passthrough from the MB. Since that weaker signal must now carry more than 1 device, the passthrough is often a fail for users on those boards. There are some really long threads in the CUE section about this going back to the launch of the X570. You need a USB hub with a SATA connection for its own power. A lot of users go with the NZXT model, but anything powered should work. Don't get a 1->2 splitter. It won't help with the power issue and is effectively the same as what you have now -- 2 devices on 1 line.

The SATA power to the Commander Pro is providing power for the fan controller and RGB elements that run from the device. It does not amplify the USB signal in any way and is a straight passthrough from the MB. Since that weaker signal must now carry more than 1 device, the passthrough is often a fail for users on those boards. There are some really long threads in the CUE section about this going back to the launch of the X570. You need a USB hub with a SATA connection for its own power. A lot of users go with the NZXT model, but anything powered should work. Don't get a 1->2 splitter. It won't help with the power issue and is effectively the same as what you have now -- 2 devices on 1 line.

Thanks for filling me in on all this, I've been searching the forums and haven't seen it mentioned!

Bit of a shame that I bought the commander pro to essentially just be a 6 port pwm fan hub. Could I return the commander pro and instead use pwm splitters for the remaining 3 slots on my commander core to power my 6 case fans? If that set up would work, I could then buy the powered usb hub and connect the commander core from the h150i and the RGB hub to that?

Yes, theoretically you can pair off more fans with two way splitters on the Commander Core and eliminate the Commander Pro. However, I generally advise caution with packing extra stuff on the Com Core. Besides the fan motor and RGB power, it is also providing power to the pump. 9 is pretty much at my limit for that.

However, they may be another path that makes sense. A lot of us have moved over to PWM repeaters to offload current from the fan controllers. It's a small circuit board that uses 1 PWM signal from a controller and then applies it to 4-10 other fans, depending on model. It is effectively a powered splitter. You are talking about 9 fans, so this could be a Corsair 5000D/X etc. That means you already have one in the case. If not, this is an inexpensive part, usually less than $20 USD. That plus USB hub is less than a Commander while solving two problems. At present, the only value the Commander really has to you is as a dual RGB channel controller. Those channels are necessary for strips, Hydro X, or other 3rd party gear. You cannot do that with "Core device" that do not have the RGB channels.

Yes, theoretically you can pair off more fans with two way splitters on the Commander Core and eliminate the Commander Pro. However, I generally advise caution with packing extra stuff on the Com Core. Besides the fan motor and RGB power, it is also providing power to the pump. 9 is pretty much at my limit for that.

However, they may be another path that makes sense. A lot of us have moved over to PWM repeaters to offload current from the fan controllers. It's a small circuit board that uses 1 PWM signal from a controller and then applies it to 4-10 other fans, depending on model. It is effectively a powered splitter. You are talking about 9 fans, so this could be a Corsair 5000D/X etc. That means you already have one in the case. If not, this is an inexpensive part, usually less than $20 USD. That plus USB hub is less than a Commander while solving two problems. At present, the only value the Commander really has to you is as a dual RGB channel controller. Those channels are necessary for strips, Hydro X, or other 3rd party gear. You cannot do that with "Core device" that do not have the RGB channels.

This has all been really useful, thanks so much for taking the time to talk through it with me.

So would using something like this work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087FY5CNT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5J34WDWX2QFPH3ZTWJT6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If I plug that into the commander core, does it just show up as one fan in iCue, so I can set all 6 case fan speeds at once?

That one works and I have one. In the nitpicking category, I find the fan ports to be too deep and it makes swapping fans unnecessarily difficult. However, most users don't need to take fans on and off regularly. I use mine to control sets of fans when testing, so it it comes up more frequently. You also likely don't need a 10 fan repeater. There are others that are 4-6-8 and slightly smaller. Again, nitpicking and not a genuine pro/con for most users.

Regardless, that one does work. It will show up as "one fan" in CUE for port # X. All the fans on the repeater will run at the speed you set for Port #X. In this way, it is effectively a powered splitter with the benefit of taking the fan current off the Commander Core controller. The mathematics of this likely force you into a 5 (Com Core) + 4 (PWM repeater) arrangement, unless you run the front/side 6 together. Nothing wrong with doing that and if the radiator is up top, that would be my choice so you can have independent control over the rear exhaust fan.

That one works and I have one. In the nitpicking category, I find the fan ports to be too deep and it makes swapping fans unnecessarily difficult. However, most users don't need to take fans on and off regularly. I use mine to control sets of fans when testing, so it it comes up more frequently. You also likely don't need a 10 fan repeater. There are others that are 4-6-8 and slightly smaller. Again, nitpicking and not a genuine pro/con for most users.

Regardless, that one does work. It will show up as "one fan" in CUE for port # X. All the fans on the repeater will run at the speed you set for Port #X. In this way, it is effectively a powered splitter with the benefit of taking the fan current off the Commander Core controller. The mathematics of this likely force you into a 5 (Com Core) + 4 (PWM repeater) arrangement, unless you run the front/side 6 together. Nothing wrong with doing that and if the radiator is up top, that would be my choice so you can have independent control over the rear exhaust fan.

Thanks for all your help!! I have returned the commander pro and I've ordered a powered usb hub and two powered pwm repeaters so I can have 3 fans in each (I'm using a lian li o11 so I'd like to be able to control the three sets of fans individually.

Is there any way to give rep or anything on these forums? You've been a life saver if this all works

I am also using an O11 and have approached this in different ways. I have two 360mm radiators and have put those 6 fans on the PWM hub with the remaking three on the Commander. The PWM repeater is also perfect for 6 fan push pull on a 360mm. Currently I am only running 9 fans and it three on the PWM hub. With one for my pump, that leaves 4 Commander pro headers for 6 fans. This is ok because the total current draw on the device is still just 6 fans. This is an option if you already have a bunch of PWM splitters lying around, but otherwise the cost difference between a PWM hub and 2-3 splitters is likely nil. The PWM hub has more flexibility at the cost of 1 SATA connector for power.