Corsair Community

A newbies question on combing SP's and LL 120s

Hi, I purchased these two 3-packs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ydRzK8/corsair-ll120-rgb-white-63-cfm-120-mm-fans-3-pack-co-9050092-ww

and

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G74Ycf/corsair-icue-sp-rgb-elite-4773-cfm-120-mm-fans-3-pack-co-9050137-ww

The LL's came with two hubs, and the SP's came with one hub.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41527&stc=1&d=1624070727

I am also currently using this as my AIO: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RcdFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pc-r1

I plan on putting two of the LL's at the top and middle front of the case for intake. One of the SP's down at the bottom where the drives are.

Two of the SP's to replace the Cooler Master fans on the radiator of the AIO.

The last LL will be at the back as exhaust.

I am trying to understand the best way to make this all work. It looks like both hubs would have to be set to different USB headers on the MOBO, or could I just plug all six fans into the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub?

I don't want to just jump in and break anything. Better to get some advice from those than know better.

Would the ICUE even be able to read both then?

Thanks for your time and take care.

IMG_20210618_191825245.thumb.jpg.b0322410cdb0ad6afa71a946cd383474.jpg

Edited by fs_feedback

Corsair RGB lighting works on a relatively simply unit x number arrangement. You tell the software you have Fan Type X (with a specific number of LEDs) and the number of fans. The software then generates the proper number of LEDs and in the the proper fan units when the effect demands it. It's that last past that is going to cause issue for you now.

You have 3x 16 LED LL fan (12 ring/4 inner) and 3x SP-Elite (8 center mounted LEDs). In terms of straight functionality, that is 72 LEDs and that number could be produced as "LL fans x 5". However, this will only be feasible if the 3 actual LL fans go 1-2-3 on the controller and the SP-Elite are 4-5-6. As soon as you stick an 8 LED fan into the series, it will then throw off the entire rest of the chain. There is an additional problem regarding the ring and the type of effects available. The LL/QL have rings. The others do not. As such the ring fans have special effects designed to make use of the geometry and those are effects the center hub fans will never be able to display in a recognizable form.

Combining different LED geometries works OK for static colors or stationary effects like spiral rainbow or similar. However, as soon as you introduce movement into the effect, the wheels come off and all the fun ones are the dynamic effects on the QL/LL. You will not damage the fans by combining them, but it will make it hard to get the most out of the product. In your case, I think even more so because you seem to have them spread over the case for functionality rather than decorative intent. This is going to be a difficult way for anything other than statics.

Using two separate controllers eliminates the math obstacles with the LED count, but the specific location problem still remains. The fans will follow their number order, on each controller, independently. You cannot choose the path it will take, aside from manipulating the connection order. So if the LL are not contiguous, then those dynamic moving patterns may not be so appealing anyway.

It seems like you just bought, so perhaps you have return options. I can see why you would choose the SP-Elite for radiator or direct cooling duty. That is their implied function. However, there is a radiator test below that includes the SP-Elite and LL/QL and you can see the difference is slim to the point where you should choose for fan type/lighting. I am sure the SP-Elite is more effective for cooling the drive, but is minus 2-3 worth all this hassle?

My recommendation is to consider a 6 LL fan set-up so you can enjoy the ring effects and do it sequentially. If you are concerned about the back of the fan, look at the QLs. For cooling purposes, you can assume those to be the same and a QL is effectively a double sided LL. If performance really is of the highest concern, you could then consider SP-Elite x 6 or even ML-RGB x 6. However, for those really at that point where 1-2C less in a component temp really matters, perhaps there are other choices besides RGB fans and you can cut the 5v draw on your PSU.

3rd Party SP-Elite Review

Corsair RGB lighting works on a relatively simply unit x number arrangement. You tell the software you have Fan Type X (with a specific number of LEDs) and the number of fans. The software then generates the proper number of LEDs and in the the proper fan units when the effect demands it. It's that last past that is going to cause issue for you now.

You have 3x 16 LED LL fan (12 ring/4 inner) and 3x SP-Elite (8 center mounted LEDs). In terms of straight functionality, that is 72 LEDs and that number could be produced as "LL fans x 5". However, this will only be feasible if the 3 actual LL fans go 1-2-3 on the controller and the SP-Elite are 4-5-6. As soon as you stick an 8 LED fan into the series, it will then throw off the entire rest of the chain. There is an additional problem regarding the ring and the type of effects available. The LL/QL have rings. The others do not. As such the ring fans have special effects designed to make use of the geometry and those are effects the center hub fans will never be able to display in a recognizable form.

Combining different LED geometries works OK for static colors or stationary effects like spiral rainbow or similar. However, as soon as you introduce movement into the effect, the wheels come off and all the fun ones are the dynamic effects on the QL/LL. You will not damage the fans by combining them, but it will make it hard to get the most out of the product. In your case, I think even more so because you seem to have them spread over the case for functionality rather than decorative intent. This is going to be a difficult way for anything other than statics.

Using two separate controllers eliminates the math obstacles with the LED count, but the specific location problem still remains. The fans will follow their number order, on each controller, independently. You cannot choose the path it will take, aside from manipulating the connection order. So if the LL are not contiguous, then those dynamic moving patterns may not be so appealing anyway.

It seems like you just bought, so perhaps you have return options. I can see why you would choose the SP-Elite for radiator or direct cooling duty. That is their implied function. However, there is a radiator test below that includes the SP-Elite and LL/QL and you can see the difference is slim to the point where you should choose for fan type/lighting. I am sure the SP-Elite is more effective for cooling the drive, but is minus 2-3 worth all this hassle?

My recommendation is to consider a 6 LL fan set-up so you can enjoy the ring effects and do it sequentially. If you are concerned about the back of the fan, look at the QLs. For cooling purposes, you can assume those to be the same and a QL is effectively a double sided LL. If performance really is of the highest concern, you could then consider SP-Elite x 6 or even ML-RGB x 6. However, for those really at that point where 1-2C less in a component temp really matters, perhaps there are other choices besides RGB fans and you can cut the 5v draw on your PSU.

3rd Party SP-Elite Review

Sorry, I have been busy as of late. I took your advice, and returned the SP's, and went with an additional 3-pack of LL's, and everything seems to be working well.

I appreciate your help. Thanks for your time and take care.