Corsair Community

iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX + QL Fans, Do I really need a Commander Pro?

newbie-builder

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this (sorry if it isn't)

I'm currently planning my first serious PC build in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic case, and I'd like to get a iCUE H150i and some extra QL fans (on top of the ML ones that come with the AIO). I want to mount the radiator at the top with the 3 ML fans it comes with, put 3 intake QL fans at the side, and in the future I'll probably get 3 more for the bottom of the case.

Here's the question: Do I really need a Commander Pro to sort everything out, or is it enough with the included Lightning Node Core and Commander Core? How would I need to connect everything so it works properly?

Edited by newbie-builder

You do not need a Commander Pro at this time. The Commander Core that comes with the Elite series AIOs will have 6 PWM and 6 RGB slots. You should also get the 3x120 Multi-pack of the QL to make sure you get a Lighting Node Core. This will give you the option of running separate RGB channels or combining them on the Com Core, while still allowing you to add more QL later.

At present, it sounds like 6 fans so PWM control is all set. When it comes time to add more, you will likely want some type of PWM repeater hub. This is a SATA powered small box that takes one control signal from the Com Core and then passes it on to 4-10 other fans. It is in effect a powered splitter for large groups. These are inexpensive ($20) and useful when you do not need individual control of each fan. There is no reason to worry about that in the O11 with all those banks of 3x120 that can run the same speed.

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this (sorry if it isn't)

I'm currently planning my first serious PC build in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic case, and I'd like to get a iCUE H150i and some extra QL fans (on top of the ML ones that come with the AIO). I want to mount the radiator at the top with the 3 ML fans it comes with, put 3 intake QL fans at the side, and in the future I'll probably get 3 more for the bottom of the case.

Here's the question: Do I really need a Commander Pro to sort everything out, or is it enough with the included Lightning Node Core and Commander Core? How would I need to connect everything so it works properly?

With the commander core is enough, it has 6 PWM connectors, if you need more you can use pwm splitters. I also have a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic with a total of 9 fans, all controlled with the commander core and splitters and works perfect.

If you fans have leds, unless they are corsair fans you will need a "normal" led controller, since corsair has special connectors.