Corsair Community

iCUE 4 could be a lot better

From what I have seen from now outdated YouTube videos showing how to do subjects related to using iCUE software on the previous version of iCUE, iCUE 4 seems to be a stripped down version with no where near the features or self evident ease of use of the previous version. I tried to import some lighting profiles, from the Corsair website but they won't run or do anything in iCUE4. It would seem that iCUE no longer supports importing profiles or attaching the profiles to related game titles to automatically launch when that game is running. The "help" area in iCUE 4 links to outdated how to videos that are not related to the stripped down capabilities iCUE 4! I would Corsair would try to advance it. Instead they seem have regressed it.:mad:

All of those features are still in CUE 4 and work in the same way. Some UI elements have changed, so you may need to look in a slightly different place, typical of any major update. CUE 4 does import CUE 3 profiles and they should work in the same way. There aren’t any real changes to how the lighting works, although the creation process looks quite different.

You’ll need to be specific about what profiles you downloaded and which part is not working if you are looking for help with that issue.

I downloaded and imported probably 50% of them. None of them did anything. As an example; Mushroom, Doom and Battlefield. The software does not seem anywhere as intuitive to use as the previous software seems to have been in my observation. I have 9 RGB fans going including the 3 in the H150i Elite Capellix cooler so it gives a pretty good light show.

Can you list exactly what hardware (lighting controllers and devices) you are using? This has been a past issue with recently released products not part of the programming. Each time Corsair releases a new device, it must be added to the programming. Fans and their lighting controllers are the most tedious since you must program every possible fan combination.

I can see from your other post you have Vengeance Pro RGB. Those should work. You also have an Elite AIO and that is the one I wonder about. That is one of the newest and I know originally the profiles were not updated for that controller. If you have 9 RGB fans, then you probably have two RGB controllers, 6 on one and 3 on another. That other is probably a Lighting Node Core. One sign this is a device programming issue will be if the LNC connected fans light up, but the Commander Core RGB fans do not. I just imported the Doom profile and it worked on all of my 12 of devices, however that does not include a Commander Core. I do have a K100 keyboard and the lighting applied to all the G keys and the FN, but not all of the light bars or the wheel ring. That suggests the profile has not been updated since the release of the K100 a few months back and so I wonder if that is the same issue for your Commander Core.

If you wanted to test this, try the Cyberpunk profile. That is a new release and should work on all Corsair gear not released in the last two months.

The profile library does not seem to be available at this time to download the Cyber Punk profile. In addition to the 3 fans which came with the Corsair 5000x case, which I believe might be the SP 120 types, which are indeed connected to a lighting node core, I have 3 fans in addition to those that came with the H150i cooler connected to the remote commander core which came with that set. Those additional fans are QL 120s.

• Corsair Employees
The profile library does not seem to be available at this time to download the Cyber Punk profile. In addition to the 3 fans which came with the Corsair 5000x case, which I believe might be the SP 120 types, which are indeed connected to a lighting node core, I have 3 fans in addition to those that came with the H150i cooler connected to the remote commander core which came with that set. Those additional fans are QL 120s.

You may not be clicking on the specific link for PROFILE LIBRARY but here is the link to those profiles. The Cypberpunk one is the the very first profile listed. As for the fans that come with your case make sure you are setting them to the SP Pro/Elite fan series. Not all of those profiles currently are updated but they are being worked on.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue-library

In CUE 4 the SP-Elite should be set as “8 LED fan”, along with SP-Pro and ML-Elite. The SP-RGB listed is an older 4 LED fan.

So do any of these devices show lighting effects from Doom or other imported profiles? I was expecting the Commander Core connected fans to be dark, but everything else should work. If not, then I wonder if this is also related to your Fusion issue.

In CUE 4 the SP-Elite should be set as “8 LED fan”, along with SP-Pro and ML-Elite. The SP-RGB listed is an older 4 LED fan.

So do any of these devices show lighting effects from Doom or other imported profiles? I was expecting the Commander Core connected fans to be dark, but everything else should work. If not, then I wonder if this is also related to your Fusion issue.

I never realized you should set the fan controller for the type of fans you have. I have a mixture of fans with 3, I assume, SP Elites that came with the 5000x case on the lighting node core. On the Remote Commander Pro I have the 3 ML 120s that came with the H150i Capellix Chiller and 3 QL 120s that I bought separately as a set. Setting all 6 of those fans as QL 120s produces the best effect and utilizes all 34 RGBs per fan of those QL 120s. I never realized until setting those fans just now what those QL 120s could do. Wow! Thanks for clueing me in on those fan settings.

There is no option to break it up within one controller and set 3 fans as one type and 3 fans as another. Is there any risk of damaging the RGB of the ML 120 fans in this setup?

The lighting profiles, including; Cyberpunk, Knight Rider, Battlefield and Doom do nothing and don't work. There does not seem to be any way to make them run. Unless I am doing something wrong in setting them up.

The Commander Core is different than all the other lighting controllers and has an auto-detect system for RGB ports. However, it might not always turn out as desired. With 3 ML-Elite (8) and 3 QL (34 LEDs) it should have set itself to QL x 6, but setting it manually is fine too. No risk of damage. This is intended. A LED either has an instruction or it is off.

All other controllers like the Lighting Node Core have to set manually. The programming is straight forward and you tell it ‘fan type’ x ‘number’ and it then creates the 34 x 6 LEDs (204) to cover all fans and effect the proper per fan timing. Supposedly the program is being worked on to allow more natural mixing of fan types on one controller, but obviously the number of combinations with 4/8/12/16/34 LED fans in number from 1-6 (or more) are enormous. To add to that, fans with different LED geometry may not mix all that well. Your QL (and LL) have 12 outer ring LEDs. Other fans have none. Different center cores on QL vs 8 center LED ML-SP Elite and SP Pro. Hard for the ML-E to a ring based effect without a ring. There is always going to be some compromise when mixing different LED arrangements.

What you can do now is apply two local effects, one to the QL and one to SP-Elite. In CUE 3/4 you can hold CTRL and left-click drag a box around specific LEDs to apply an effect only to them. If you left click anywhere in the field without holding Control it will deselect ALL LEDs for the current effect. Useful for removing the effect, but you will do this accidentally as well. CUE 4 adds the ability to quick apply it to whole fans (Fan 1, Fan 2, etc). So you can run Pong across just the QL by selecting only the QL fans and then apply a different effect for the ML-Elite that it is capable of doing. I have not worked with this combination. Some may look fine 1-6. Others may need to be applied only to one type.

So does your Vengeance Pro RAM light up for these profiles? I expected the Commander Core fans and pump LED to be off for most older profiles created before the Elite AIO release, but the RAM should have lights. As a test, try deleting the Cyberpunk profile from CUE, then reimport it. On the import select screen, choose Lighting Effects only and leave the 5 other boxes unchecked. This should be the default setting on CUE 4.12.

The Commander Core is different than all the other lighting controllers and has an auto-detect system for RGB ports. However, it might not always turn out as desired. With 3 ML-Elite (8) and 3 QL (34 LEDs) it should have set itself to QL x 6, but setting it manually is fine too. No risk of damage. This is intended. A LED either has an instruction or it is off.

All other controllers like the Lighting Node Core have to set manually. The programming is straight forward and you tell it ‘fan type’ x ‘number’ and it then creates the 34 x 6 LEDs (204) to cover all fans and effect the proper per fan timing. Supposedly the program is being worked on to allow more natural mixing of fan types on one controller, but obviously the number of combinations with 4/8/12/16/34 LED fans in number from 1-6 (or more) are enormous. To add to that, fans with different LED geometry may not mix all that well. Your QL (and LL) have 12 outer ring LEDs. Other fans have none. Different center cores on QL vs 8 center LED ML-SP Elite and SP Pro. Hard for the ML-E to a ring based effect without a ring. There is always going to be some compromise when mixing different LED arrangements.

What you can do now is apply two local effects, one to the QL and one to SP-Elite. In CUE 3/4 you can hold CTRL and left-click drag a box around specific LEDs to apply an effect only to them. If you left click anywhere in the field without holding Control it will deselect ALL LEDs for the current effect. Useful for removing the effect, but you will do this accidentally as well. CUE 4 adds the ability to quick apply it to whole fans (Fan 1, Fan 2, etc). So you can run Pong across just the QL by selecting only the QL fans and then apply a different effect for the ML-Elite that it is capable of doing. I have not worked with this combination. Some may look fine 1-6. Others may need to be applied only to one type.

So does your Vengeance Pro RAM light up for these profiles? I expected the Commander Core fans and pump LED to be off for most older profiles created before the Elite AIO release, but the RAM should have lights. As a test, try deleting the Cyberpunk profile from CUE, then reimport it. On the import select screen, choose Lighting Effects only and leave the 5 other boxes unchecked. This should be the default setting on CUE 4.12.

Wow! Thank you so much for this excellent information. Like all computer gear these days nothing comes with a comprehensive owners manual leaving you to figure it out for practically for yourself including how to put together the whole frigging PC! Your response gives me more in-depth insight on how to customize with the software to create more interesting effects. Right now I need to take care of some yard work and I'll get back and let you know how it goes. Right off the bat though I will say in parting that so far nothing has responded to those profiles, including the Vengeance RAM.

I have just discovered that Scenes must be disabled for imported profiles to run. I'm just now starting to get the hang of it. Pretty impressive, especially on the RAM modules. It is not a very intuitive system and there ore no instructions. there are no popups when you hover over a button to tell you what it is or what it does. Thank you for your help.

The "scenes" replaced the instant lighting from CUE 3. Think of them as a massive overlay that covers whatever is underneath. That is also one of the core principles of all the lighting programming. The top effect is dominant. A static red effect will completely cover a spiral rainbow. However, you can use this to your advantage, like putting color wave on top of a white static background. The color waves will paint over the white as they pass through leaving a seamless pattern.

You also can create very complex visual appearances by layering effects with "holes or spaces" in the pattern. When the LED is off for one for one effect, it is available to another. This also works in reverse and you can use a "dark wave" (black 0,0,0 patterns) to cover over lighting effects that do not have a natural on/off cycle. It's definitely complex, but one of the better ways to learn how it works it to look at those downloaded profiles from Corsair or other reputable designers. Seeing how the components of whole are set up may give you ideas about how to make practical use patterns for yourself.

Edited by c-attack
  • Confused 1

The gaming profiles from the Corsair website should apply to all devices and this is where this query started at the beginning. If those profiles are applying to all devices except the AIO pump and Commander Core fans, then we don't need to look for problems. It means the profiles have not been updated to include the newest devices and does not mean you have a hardware problem. That was the distinction we were trying to make originally. Updates for those profiles are coming.

You might find enough stuff here to keep you busy until then. There is a lot and some are old and some are new. Note the supported devices. If it does not list the Commander Core or Elite AIO units, it probably will not produce lighting for the pump and fans.

The Cyberpunk profile worked on all 9 fans and the pump including both rings of the QL fans so I think that would rule out a hardware problem. Some of the profiles crash iCUE when I attempt to install them. I'm curious to see what's in your link so I will open it now.

Ok, then. I think that pretty ties things off. I expected the Cyperpunk to work because it is a new profile and the older ones not to work because they have not been programmed for the Elite series AIO. This confirms you don't have a hardware issue and your circumstances are the same as the rest of us.