Corsair Community

Replace 1 of 2 8g sticks?

In my Asus Prime Z390A, I had 16gb (2x8gb) Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16. One of the memory cards is bad. Can I just replace it with CMK8GX4M1A2400C14 ? The 8gb stick is the same spec as the 16gb pair. However, Asus's QVL list (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-A/PRIME_Z390-A_Memory_QVL_20190225.pdf) does not list the 8gb stick by itself, only paired kits. Is this 8gb stick really just half the 16gb kit - same specs, etc.? It is currently working with just the single stick from the 16gb kit, but need more memory (photo/video editing mostly)

I would recommend that you get a new pair of memory modules.

If buy a pair they have been testet to work together whit out any problems.

If you just buy 1 new memory module you can't be sure they can run together whit out any problems

• 2 weeks later...
Today's oddity. I purchased a replacement kit CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, which is listed on the Asus QVL. Added to the proper slots (A2/B2 per the Asus manual) and would get boot errors. Tried changing BIOS to add XMB or speeds to no avail. Finally gave up and took it to my PC tech. Picked it up and was noticing speeds did not appear to reflect the faster set. He installed one of the old modules along with one of the new modules (a mismatch, correct?) and in slots that are not the ones Asus recommends. He used A1/B2. But it is working. Not sure why he didn't just put both new modules in. I will likely try again this weekend (but usually my brain is fried from doing other IT work during the week - IT Architect for a large enterprise). Also, opening a ticket per Corsair Fer for the bad memory module.