Corsair Community

thread to find replacement for icue

Just wanna make this to find out what OPEN sw are the thing to use without havving to touch bugCue.

This has nothing to with what version of ouch-Cue that's out there.

Its more of a "F*** U* Corsair" for not listening to your customers.

So instead of using rats-cue whats working with all kinds of HW?

And if you want to give Corsair CEO a middle finger.... do "like" this.

Well someone is pissed lol

Purely for lighting, a popular one is OpenRGB. https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/releases

For cooling, just about anything does the job, unless you use an AIO then you're SOL.

For all the rest, either dump support for special functions (keyboard and mouse customization, macros, headset support etc...) or resell your hardware to get something better.

If you gonna get pissed everytime you see the sails logo on your stuff, just get rid of it.

... but keep the PSU, it's great and it works with HWinfo and all the programs that can poll from it :)

I personally got rid of all my corsair hardware (except the PSU) purely because of how bad iCUE3 was. Can't imagine what curent users of iCUE4 feel...

• Confused 1

Well someone is pissed lol

Purely for lighting, a popular one is OpenRGB. https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/releases

For cooling, just about anything does the job, unless you use an AIO then you're SOL.

For all the rest, either dump support for special functions (keyboard and mouse customization, macros, headset support etc...) or resell your hardware to get something better.

If you gonna get pissed everytime you see the sails logo on your stuff, just get rid of it.

... but keep the PSU, it's great and it works with HWinfo and all the programs that can poll from it :)

I personally got rid of all my corsair hardware (except the PSU) purely because of how bad iCUE3 was. Can't imagine what curent users of iCUE4 feel...

I'm an icue4 user and i'm satisfied of the "system".... sorry to hear you have a bad experience with version 3...yep i know icue itself is not a simple software to learn.... but if you apply and search a bit, you can get beautiful results with almost minimum effort.

oh it's no the ease of use, i know icue 3, and 4 is just a different UI, it's easy to use.

what i don't like is how it hammers the CPU, the barebones cooling support for custom loop, how unstable it is, how hard it is to create lighting effects that deviate from the presets, how any update is a gamble as to what will stop working.. and the list goes on.

it's by far the worst driver/cooling management suite i ever used. It's okay for RGB, but does all in software mode, probably because the controllers are too cheap to do anything slightly involved in hardware mode.. no idea..

But if you don't care about losing some performance, and are happy with what it does, there's nothing wrong at all with using it.

I still use it daily on my work laptop for my keyboard and MM800... with all services disabled to avoid having the fans run hard.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, LeDoyen said:

1. Well someone is pissed lol

2. For cooling, just about anything does the job, unless you use an AIO then you're SOL.

1. aye...and im not alone ....im so outta corsair... gonna swap the entire crap as soon as z690 and the i9-*** comes along

meanwhile... 

2: im using a H115i.... ofc "outta date" ...

and im not a proff ass. in this issue.... Got a helping hand for a non-profitt-AIO- control program for my H115i ?

gonna checkout openrgb for sure

I just remembered another user mentionned SIV, that on top of being a hardware monitor software allows control of some Corsair hardware (i understand that's actually how it started).

Maybe have a tinker with it. If your H115i is supported (it supports H115i Pro) it could do the business

https://siv.boards.net/board/4/releases

Yes I mentioned SIV. I have been using it to control my Corsair stuff for years, in 3 different builds. I posted more about it HERE.  SIV is the most powerful system monitoring program I have ever encountered. It is a labyrinth of menus and panels. Control of Corsair products is probably 1% of the SIV code. Despite all it can do, it uses very little system resources, SIV is also highly customizable and it can be overwhelming at first glance. There is a Guide for setting up SIV to control Corsair hardware. Its a little hard to look at but if you follow it exactly it will work.

SIV RGB - Control of Corsair products was added to SIV back in the Corsair Link days. It's has all of the basic RGB effects that Link had for fans and pumps. It does not have the more complex RGB effects that Corsair does in software. As LeDoyan mentioned Here, Corsair's RGB controllers are pretty dumb. They can store then play the basic RGB effects without Link (or iCue) running. When the LL series fans came out, the Commander Pro could not handle them so Corsair went to software based RGB effect playback. Link gave way to iCue and the rest is CPU hogging history.

So SIV can do the basic RGB presets. It can't do the more complex ones, and it cant' control RGB keyboards and mice. I attached a panel showing what devices (not just Corsair) that SIV can monitor and/or control. Note that some are monitor only. I use SIV to control my H110i and H110iGT AIO pumps, Commander Pros, Lighting Node Pros, and Lighting Node Cores. I don't have an RGB keyboard or mouse.

Aquasuite - In addition to SIV, I am now using Aquacomputer Aquasuite (AQS) and 2 Farbwerk360s to control LED strips and Fractal AIO pump (I didn;t but a Capellix because of all the Noise Complaints), AQS is great at complex custom loop control and is considered the best among the hard core custom loop gang. Fan control is way more advanced than Corsair. Their RGBpx platform is really nice but its very different than iCue. Unlike Corsair, they do support other manufacturer's products. Their Splitty4 is designed specifically to integrate Corsair or NZXT fans.

OpenRGB - I am also using OpenRGB for Asus mobo and G.Skill RGB RAM control. It does OK, though often would not detect one of my DIMMs when set to start at logon. Delaying the start seems to have fixed that. OpenRGB can control all of the Corsair controllers. It's capabilities are pretty basic but its getting better all the time.

Signal RGB - I have played with Signal RGB. It can control all of my Corsair stuff just fine. Signal RGB uses a canvas where you place your RGB devices. Various color effects playback on the canvas. Where your device is located on that canvas determines what the LEDs do. I was able to get it to control all of my devices, place them on the canvas, any playback their various effects. The results are interesting but very different. There doesn't seem to be a way to just have a basic preset, like Marquee for example. Most of their effects were very "busy" and just made my computer looks like a discoteque. I think their focus is game integration as they way they control LEDs makes tracking game screens (and video in general) easy to do.

So their are alternatives, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. iCue is bloated and resource heavy. Its fan control is very basic. iCue RGB control is very powerful, but that does not mean much if the Corsair product you bought 2 years ago is dropped, or the program keeps crashing, or is sucking up way too much of your CPU. I think Corsair got in over their heads with iCue and they are having a hard time dealing with all the bugs. Some issues have literally been reported for years, In the meantime, their hardware is getting cheaper. Dead fan and RGB ports, noisy Capellix pumps, LEDs that fail in weeks if set to white. They still have some good fans, PSU's, and I guess good RAM if you know what you are looking for. Other than that - pass.

Hope this helps someone.

2021-0-24 Link Limits.png

I'm using iCUE for 2 years and no critical issues with it. iCUE is to control the RGB and related Corsair product functions, not the HW Monitoring software.

If you feel that iCUE is bugCUE, try to use other brand control software like ASUS, Gigabyte,.. and feel.

Edited by Rubik2022

On 9/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, Rubik2022 said:

I'm using iCUE for 2 years and no critical issues with it. iCUE is to control the RGB and related Corsair product functions, not the HW Monitoring software.

If you feel that iCUE is bugCUE, try to use other brand control software like ASUS, Gigabyte,.. and feel.

Agree that most software offered by Asus (Aura, Armoury Crate) and Gigabyte (and MSI) are even worse than iCue. Aquacomputer Aquasuite is considered to be by far the best by many serious custom loop builders. And programs like Open RGB and Signal RGB are becoming quite viable and popular replacements for iCue, Aura, Mystic Light, etc.