Corsair Community

a200 Pro CPU Thermal Concerns

I purchased an a200 Pro and have had it for two weeks now. Overall I have been happy with the system, however I have some concerns with what I am seeing with the thermals with the Ryzen 5950x.

First, I do understand the thermal profiles of the Ryzen 5950x, how Precision Boost 2 (not PBO) works and how this relates to how the chip boosts its clock and power consumption until it hits a pre-defined thermal curve. I believe I have realistic performance expectations when considering the form factor of the Corsair One and the size of the AIO radiator in these things.

With that said, I am seeing some concerning behavior with the thermals when running load tests both with Cinebench (R20 and R23) as well as even the built in stability test in Ryzen Master. What I am seeing is a near instant rise of CPU core temp jumping from ~60c idle to the 90c limit. Though it's hitting this limit immediately, performance doesn't seem to be suffering too much. That is I get no indicators that the CPU is thermal throttling and I am seeing respectable all core boost clocks of 4.4Ghz when running Cinebench and getting final performance scores that put the chip in the upper realm of performance. Keep in mind that this is under stock BIOS settings with PBO not enabled and considering things such as AIO heat soak characteristics, this behavior seems suspect to me and wondering if I am dealing with some sort of defect or misconfiguration.

I did a bit of troubleshooting myself by opening up the system and making sure there wasn't any obvious issues such as pumps not working/working well and that the AIO block was under enough tension on the socket. Didn't find anything worth noting.

With myself being an early adopter of this product, I was hoping if others with the a200 Pro are seeing similar behavior and also hoping if I could get some kind of verification from Corsair engineers that this is just how the system is designed to function. If not, see if there is a potential problem here either with the BIOS settings/motherboard being used or if I am dealing with a defective AIO or such.

I "only" have an a200 (so 5900X) and you sound a lot more knowledgeable on temperature, but posting a few screenshots on how my system behaves just in case you can derive anything useful from that.

http://www.boerdijk.org/images/2021/corsair/compile1-scaled.png

http://www.boerdijk.org/images/2021/corsair/compile2-scaled.png

So first screenshot is compiling, all cores at 100%, temperature jumps up quite fast from (I think it was 60) to 89 celcius. Big fan is turning (barely audible).

Second screenshot compiling is done and the temperature is quickly dropping (within seconds) currently down to 70.

And one more, because I found some more setting which sound interesting - also changed profile in iCue to 'Extreme'. This is at the end of compiling for ~2 minutes:

http://www.boerdijk.org/images/2021/corsair/compile3-scaled.png

Edited by kalmiya

I've had major issues with iCUE not controlling the fan on my a100 properly. It was completely turning off my fan. Another user with the a200 found some very odd bugs with the fan control. I ended up connecting the fan to the motherboard header and setting it to 100% (Since it can't spin up to cool the GPU like this). This is the equivalent of setting the 'Extreme' profile in iCUE

That being said I what you are seeing here is normal behavior for Ryzen. It is going to continue to boost higher and draw more power until it hits its max temp (90c) or power limit. The temp will jump fast when applying a heavy load, and if it wasn't being transferred to the coolant / radiator you would see you clocks go steadily down until they were below stock (thermal throttling)

I too have just taken delivery on a Corsair One a200 pro. I have been running it for a few days now and am having significant thermal issues. In fact I even had it blink off and reboot once while running some intense loads.

It also runs very hot with very low (windows desktop only) loads and seems mostly due to the default fan curve in icue not being aggressive enough. Generally with no load (but high temps) I'm seeing the top fan either at 0 or a few hundred rpm. If I manually go and raise that it is a lot better.

The bigger problem is that there seems to currently be no way to get the machine to properly ramp up fan speed with rising temps. There are no bios options for the fan and icue is broken and will only let you set a fixed fan speed other than the default which isn't tracking well enough to use.

I contacted Corsair support regarding this and they indicated that they are aware of the issues but have no estimate of a fix. The CS rep said I could of course return it which I'm very reluctantly having to entertain.

I've been trying to live with the problem for a few days now but is a real nightmare to deal with. At this point I have two choices - either I have to manually change the fan speed every 15 minutes as the load of what I'm doing on the computer changes or leave it at 100% and listen to my new $4K+ computer sound like a jet the whole time its running.

This is completely unacceptable for a brand new, super high performance $4K+ computer from a reputable top manufacturer. Really not sure what I'm going to do but if this can't be resolved I see no option but to return it.

Guest techildllc
I too have just taken delivery on a Corsair One a200 pro. I have been running it for a few days now and am having significant thermal issues. In fact I even had it blink off and reboot once while running some intense loads.

It also runs very hot with very low (windows desktop only) loads and seems mostly due to the default fan curve in icue not being aggressive enough. Generally with no load (but high temps) I'm seeing the top fan either at 0 or a few hundred rpm. If I manually go and raise that it is a lot better.

The bigger problem is that there seems to currently be no way to get the machine to properly ramp up fan speed with rising temps. There are no bios options for the fan and icue is broken and will only let you set a fixed fan speed other than the default which isn't tracking well enough to use.

I contacted Corsair support regarding this and they indicated that they are aware of the issues but have no estimate of a fix. The CS rep said I could of course return it which I'm very reluctantly having to entertain.

I've been trying to live with the problem for a few days now but is a real nightmare to deal with. At this point I have two choices - either I have to manually change the fan speed every 15 minutes as the load of what I'm doing on the computer changes or leave it at 100% and listen to my new $4K+ computer sound like a jet the whole time its running.

This is completely unacceptable for a brand new, super high performance $4K+ computer from a reputable top manufacturer. Really not sure what I'm going to do but if this can't be resolved I see no option but to return it.

Welcome to my life! I had the same problem. See my post about icue controlling the fan inverted! There is a video in there. My system ended up just dead! I owned it for a total of 3 days. It was sent in for repairs.

Took delivery on 5/24. Sent back on may 27th. No eta for return at this point.

I would completely agree is is utterly not acceptable for a $4400 system! Not to mention the other questionable thing I found with the RAM timing. See my other post.

I’ll give them 1 chance to make it right, but if it’s not back soon, then it’s definitely getting returned!

Edited by techildllc

I had to run my a100 Fan at 100% for almost a year... completely unacceptable. Is the fan on a200 different? I barely noticed mine (which was the only reason why I accepted it for as long as I did).

I've been saying this for a while: Corsair's 'Award winning support' was a participation award... even though they didn't participate. You can check out my Thread or the Cliff Notes

I would say return the system, the Corsair cooler is decent but it is definitely limiting the CPU. An Arctic Freezer II 280 + 5950X in a decent case will run circles around the Corsair System... and you can probably get everything for less than the Corsair machine... even with scalped prices. The only thing you lose is the form factor... which sucks.

Edited by Azureblood2

I replaced my a100 with a 5950x system... if you want to maintain the SFF look into the NR200 case. It was a tight fit but I got an Arctic Freezer II 280 and a 59050X in there. Running sub 40c at idle 80c max, and there is plenty of room for almost any air-cooled GPU

I ordered my A200 Pro on May 18th and it is still processing but ever since I placed the order, I have been trying to do my DD and research reviews and opinions on the system from other people that have received theirs. However, since it is so new there isn't much to go off of besides this forum and some other posts I found.

With that being said, its already starting to concern me by reading what you guys are going through, and clearly the risk does not seem like its worth the time if these issues are already popping up. I don't think I've read one solid review with no issues yet. It was even stated that corsair is aware of the fan and thermal issue but no estimate time on a fix? Thats pretty crazy that these problems exist considering the price of this machine.

I'm really thinking Its just best to cancel the order, and wait to see if things get better but im in some desperation to get a powerhouse PC for my job but I also want to be able to play the newer gaming titles right out the box.

Edited by Wired

I ordered my A200 Pro on May 18th and it is still processing but ever since I placed the order, I have been trying to do my DD and research reviews and opinions on the system from other people that have received theirs. However, since it is so new there isn't much to go off of besides this forum and some other posts I found.

With that being said, its already starting to concern me by reading what you guys are going through, and clearly the risk does not seem like its worth the time if these issues are already popping up. I don't think I've read one solid review with no issues yet. It was even stated that corsair is aware of the fan and thermal issue but no estimate time on a fix? Thats pretty crazy that these problems exist considering the price of this machine.

I'm really thinking Its just best to cancel the order, and wait to see if things get better but im in some desperation to get a powerhouse PC for my job but I also want to be able to play the newer gaming titles right out the box. Honestly, if anyone can recommend me any prebuilt machine(s) that has newer hardware and enough reviews that you think are worthy of checking, I'd be delighted to give it a search. I really do need a new PC asap but I don't have time to build. I'm even probably willing to spend a little more than this $4400..

I don't know if you caught one of the other posts where we talked about it... but Corsair also openly admitted that they are using HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 internal extension cables with these systems. I had issues and returned a 144hz 4k LG 27GN950 monitor thinking it was the monitor only to find out later it was inferior cabling from Corsair

I'd say cancel the order while you can, it really isn't worth the money or the headaches. Corsair can't write mission-critical software, the machine is thermally limited, and they won't / don't have the ability support it properly

• Like 1

I had to run my a100 Fan at 100% for almost a year... completely unacceptable. Is the fan on a200 different? I barely noticed mine (which was the only reason why I accepted it for as long as I did).

I've been saying this for a while: Corsair's 'Award winning support' was a participation award... even though they didn't participate. You can check out my Thread or the Cliff Notes

I would say return the system, the Corsair cooler is decent but it is definitely limiting the CPU. An Arctic Freezer II 280 + 5950X in a decent case will run circles around the Corsair System... and you can probably get everything for less than the Corsair machine... even with scalped prices. The only thing you lose is the form factor... which sucks.

Just to clarify 'Running circles'...

I have a 5950x with an Arctic Freezer II 280 in a CoolerMaster NR200 case.

I'm running max PBO limits with curve optimizer and I'm regularly hitting boost clocks of 4.6-4.9Ghz on multiple if not all cores. I've seen single core boosts over 5GHz. My temps aren't going above 77c and idling at 40c or lower.

The CorsairONE CPU cooler is decent, but it is thermally constraining the CPU boosting algorithm.

• Corsair Employees
I purchased an a200 Pro and have had it for two weeks now. Overall I have been happy with the system, however I have some concerns with what I am seeing with the thermals with the Ryzen 5950x.

First, I do understand the thermal profiles of the Ryzen 5950x, how Precision Boost 2 (not PBO) works and how this relates to how the chip boosts its clock and power consumption until it hits a pre-defined thermal curve. I believe I have realistic performance expectations when considering the form factor of the Corsair One and the size of the AIO radiator in these things.

With that said, I am seeing some concerning behavior with the thermals when running load tests both with Cinebench (R20 and R23) as well as even the built in stability test in Ryzen Master. What I am seeing is a near instant rise of CPU core temp jumping from ~60c idle to the 90c limit. Though it's hitting this limit immediately, performance doesn't seem to be suffering too much. That is I get no indicators that the CPU is thermal throttling and I am seeing respectable all core boost clocks of 4.4Ghz when running Cinebench and getting final performance scores that put the chip in the upper realm of performance. Keep in mind that this is under stock BIOS settings with PBO not enabled and considering things such as AIO heat soak characteristics, this behavior seems suspect to me and wondering if I am dealing with some sort of defect or misconfiguration.

I did a bit of troubleshooting myself by opening up the system and making sure there wasn't any obvious issues such as pumps not working/working well and that the AIO block was under enough tension on the socket. Didn't find anything worth noting.

With myself being an early adopter of this product, I was hoping if others with the a200 Pro are seeing similar behavior and also hoping if I could get some kind of verification from Corsair engineers that this is just how the system is designed to function. If not, see if there is a potential problem here either with the BIOS settings/motherboard being used or if I am dealing with a defective AIO or such.

Heat can be a concern because of the small footprint of the system. If you have any issues with system instability, please feel free to reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help look into with you.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Good day to you all,

I just received my a200 (5900xt) system and when installing/updating softwares/Windows I noticed that the CPU is running hot 70c-75c while doing like nothing! fan was not working and I just cutom made it to go 100% through ICUE.

I ran my first game and after 5 minutes the red LED went on and my CPU temp was 90c and fan was on. I turned it off and submitted a ticket.

is this normal temps? my 7 year old PC is way way way cooler.

I turnes the system back on after it cooled and the fan is refusing to turn on at all. Can't have it on for too long to get familiar with ICUE.

The only two reasons I paid this much was that it is a compact system and that it would stay cool, which is not the case.

thats 4 hours of ownership. I'm really feeling sad after reading a number of threads in this forum about the overheating and fan issues.

Good day to you all,

I just received my a200 (5900xt) system and when installing/updating softwares/Windows I noticed that the CPU is running hot 70c-75c while doing like nothing! fan was not working and I just cutom made it to go 100% through ICUE.

I ran my first game and after 5 minutes the red LED went on and my CPU temp was 90c and fan was on. I turned it off and submitted a ticket.

is this normal temps? my 7 year old PC is way way way cooler.

I turnes the system back on after it cooled and the fan is refusing to turn on at all. Can't have it on for too long to get familiar with ICUE.

The only two reasons I paid this much was that it is a compact system and that it would stay cool, which is not the case.

thats 4 hours of ownership. I'm really feeling sad after reading a number of threads in this forum about the overheating and fan issues.

While you wait for support from corsair, I can suggest one thing if you are willing to do this yourself:

You can get a PWM extension cable so you can connect the top fan directly to the motherboard. This way, you can go into BIOS and set your own fan curve that reacts to CPU temps. This can be temporary until Corsair sort this out but at least you will be able to use your system like normal.

While you wait for support from corsair, I can suggest one thing if you are willing to do this yourself:

You can get a PWM extension cable so you can connect the top fan directly to the motherboard. This way, you can go into BIOS and set your own fan curve that reacts to CPU temps. This can be temporary until Corsair sort this out but at least you will be able to use your system like normal.

I have an A100, I disconnected the microusb cable from the motherboard to the CPU AIO, due to persistant usb disconnects that caused iCue to switch off the AIO pumps :mad:.

AIO power is always on from the SATA PSU cable. I retained the top fan connection to the AIO harness and uninstalled iCue. All running pretty well with the default curves in the AIO firmware that use coolant temps to control the fan. Stress tests with Assetto Corsa and FS2020 and all temps under control finally. iCue is best avoided until the motherboard usb disconnects are completely resolved and the software itself is overhauled.

Thanks for the tip. I doubt that I will open it not until I know that I'm going to keep it :)

Update: suprisingly, I turned it on today after work and the fan was working and the temps look ok so far. Have no clue of what changed XD

Thanks for the tip. I doubt that I will open it not until I know that I'm going to keep it :)

Update: suprisingly, I turned it on today after work and the fan was working and the temps look ok so far. Have no clue of what changed XD

iCUE is incredibly unpredictable when it comes to fan control on the a100 / a200. For me it would just randomly decide to set a fan profile of 0% at all temps.

Connect your fan to the motherboard header and set it to 100%. Don't set it any lower as the motherboard can only account for CPU temp and not GPU temp

My recommendation would be to start looking for another pre-built computer and return this one as soon as you can. The footprint is awesome, but these machines are really not worth the headache of dealing with iCUE / Corsair support.

The radiator on these machines is not enough for a 5950x. While it won't thermal throttle, it also will not boost as high as it would with a 240 / 280mm AIO. I replaced my A100 with a custom built machine, and I easily get +300 MHz all core boost using an Arctic Freezer II 280. The GPU cooler was enough for the 2080 SUPER in the a100, but I can't speak for the 3080 in the a200 (which uses +50W more power).

They also aren't advertising the fact that they are using HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 extension cables internally to the system. You will have a hard time driving a 4k / High refresh rate monitor with the 3080 in that machine.

iCUE is incredibly unpredictable when it comes to fan control on the a100 / a200. For me it would just randomly decide to set a fan profile of 0% at all temps.

Connect your fan to the motherboard header and set it to 100%. Don't set it any lower as the motherboard can only account for CPU temp and not GPU temp

Yes you are correct. It is incredibly unpredictable.

It only worked once yesterday and no more after that.

Good thing I did not donate my old system right away.

I think I will return it :(

Yes you are correct. It is incredibly unpredictable.

It only worked once yesterday and no more after that.

Good thing I did not donate my old system right away.

I think I will return it :(

The issue is the x570 / B550 motherboard random USB disconnects and iCue. You are better off returning it.

I opted to get to the bottom of the issue on mine instead of going through the RMA hassle with Corsair.

With the microsusb control cable disconnected and iCue uninstalled, my AIOs run on their default firmware settings and control the top fan based on coolant temps of either the cpu or gpu loop as I have retained it's connection to the AIO fan harness. The system actually runs cooler than when iCue was in "control" from my last week of stress testing. No CPU temperature faults and system reboots too. Just a tip for those who opt to dig in and resolve the issue on theirs.:idea:

The issue is the x570 / B550 motherboard random USB disconnects and iCue. You are better off returning it.

I opted to get to the bottom of the issue on mine instead of going through the RMA hassle with Corsair.

With the microsusb control cable disconnected and iCue uninstalled, my AIOs run on their default firmware settings and control the top fan based on coolant temps of either the cpu or gpu loop as I have retained it's connection to the AIO fan harness. The system actually runs cooler than when iCue was in "control" from my last week of stress testing. No CPU temperature faults and system reboots too. Just a tip for those who opt to dig in and resolve the issue on theirs.:idea:

Would you be open to running some tests and posting some results?

If you are could you run simultaneously

Kombustor - 1920x1080 FurMark 6500MB Stress test

Prime95 - Small FFts

Let both run for about 30 minutes and then record

Temp of both GPU and CPU

All CPU Core frequencies

GPU Sustained Core frequency

Would you be open to running some tests and posting some results?

If you are could you run simultaneously

Kombustor - 1920x1080 FurMark 6500MB Stress test

Prime95 - Small FFts

Let both run for about 30 minutes and then record

Temp of both GPU and CPU

All CPU Core frequencies

GPU Sustained Core frequency

Ran both simultaneously for about 35 minutes with a room temperature of 19 degrees C. At about 30 minutes in;

CPU package temp had stabilized at 70 degrees C

GPU temp had stabilized at 58 degrees C

CPU core frequencies were between 3250 and 3300 Mhz

GPU frequency was 1620 Mhz, boost clock is 1635 Mhz

Attached is a csv log file. Me thinks disconnecting the microusb from the AIO, uninstalling iCue and upgrading the top fan to an ML140 Pro is a viable option for the a100 for now. YMMV with the A200.

Stress Test_2021-06-18_19-21-31_log.zip

Edited by ckibue

Ran both simultaneously for about 35 minutes with a room temperature of 19 degrees C. At about 30 minutes in;

Attached is a csv log file. Me thinks disconnecting the microusb from the AIO, uninstalling iCue and upgrading the top fan to an ML140 Pro is a viable option for the a100 for now. YMMV with the A200.

I think your CPU and GPU are thermal throttling hard... w/e hardware profile is running isn't doing a very good job. My 2080 SUPER would run that test at 1835 - 1975MHz at around that same temp. Base clock for the 5900x is 3.7GHz and the 5950X is 3.4GHz, I'm always running about +100Mhz over base clock in that test.

I would suggest connecting the fan to the motherboard header, set it to 100%, and re-run that same test.

For reference, while not the same test, I had run a test where I replaced my a100 motherboard / CPU / RAM with the CPU / Motherboard / RAM in my current system...

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20157593

I overclocked the GPU this run and it is the record for a 5950X / Single 2080 SUPER

The same Motherboard / CPU / RAM in a bigger case (CoolerMaster NR200) with a better CPU cooler (Arctic Freezer II 280). The CPU score increased by over 200... (I've since gotten a 3080ti to replace the 6700XT I put in that build but I haven't benched it yet)

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20451581

Edited by Azureblood2

I think your CPU and GPU are thermal throttling hard... w/e hardware profile is running isn't doing a very good job. My 2080 SUPER would run that test at 1835 - 1975MHz at around that same temp. Base clock for the 5900x is 3.7GHz and the 5950X is 3.4GHz, I'm always running about +100Mhz over base clock in that test.

I would suggest connecting the fan to the motherboard header, set it to 100%, and re-run that same test.

My system is an A100 with the 3950x whose base clock is 3.5GHz and the 2080 Ti with a base clock of 1.35 GHz. The cpu is underclocking but just 250 MHz below base clock and with a temp of 70 degrees, I had no thermal throttle. GPU stayed +300 MHz above base clock throughout the test.

I will keep my top fan connected to the fan harness coming out of the aio, I much prefer the fan to be controlled based on CPU and / or GPU coolant temperatures than connecting it to the motherboard header at a noisy 100%.

3250 is less than 3500. This is the definition of thermal throttling.

The base clocks may be 3.5GHz and 1.35GHz respectively , but both the CPU and GPU will boost FAR beyond that provided temps are good enough and they aren't exceeding a set power limit. They set the base / boost clock specs based of the worst case CPU.

Every 20-Series card I've had has boosted to between 1935MHz and 2135MHz. Every Ryzen CPU I've had has boosted for at least 4.1GHz.

My 5950x has a base clock of 3.4GHz but I get a single core boost of 5.07GHz and an all core boost of 4.7GHz. My 3900x would boost to 4.5GHz single core and 4.2GHz all core. Both my 3900x and 5950x would boost to 3.9GHz all core during Prime95 small FFT.

Your configuration is hurting the performance of your system. You can choose to stick your head in the sand or you can chose to fix it. Its up to you, but I won't argue with you any more on this.

Edited by Azureblood2