Corsair Community

221 Errors in Memtest86+

I've been having some instabilities lately in games (crashing out with the memory errors in Counter Strike, quitting out to the desktop in Battlefield 1942, and just some quirks that my computer has had lately) so I decided to run Memtest86+. Well, within 40 minutes of beginning the test, I got 221 errors. I'm running 2x512 XMS3200C2 with relaxed timings and ONLY at 333 mhz. :eek: The one stick I've already RMA'ed before, so I'm not sure what to do here. :confused: Anyone think my wimpy Antec 350 watt PSU could be the culprit? My Windows Desktop is totally stable, it's just when I'm gaming that I get the errors. :sigh!: So...What's the consensus about my two sticks of XMS?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The CPU is an Athlon XP1700+ overclocked to 2 ghz(12x166). My motherboard is an MSI KT4 Ultra, which I've RMA'ed about a year and a half ago. My ram is at 2-3-3-6 and synched to the FSB. I believe I have the VDIMM @ 1.6, which I just bumped up this morning to see if it made a difference, and it didn't. Besides that, it's a pretty basic setup I've got here. I plan on replacing pretty much everything but the ram and the HDDs over the summer, so that's why I'm a bit concerned about the ram.

• Corsair Employees
To make sure its not the CPU I would lower the multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if that changes the results and test the modules one at a time and the dim voltage can be as much as 2.9 Volts with 2.8 suggested when over clocking.

To make sure its not the CPU I would lower the multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if that changes the results and test the modules one at a time and the dim voltage can be as much as 2.9 Volts with 2.8 suggested when over clocking.

I'll try the CPU first. Then I'll try Memtest again. The problem with my board is that for the VDIMM, I can only go up to 2.8 MAX. :sigh!:

2.8 Volts should be enough! Also you might try the CPU Vcore up a few thnths of a volts 1.65-1.75 Volts.

Well, I lowered the CPU multiplier a little bit and raised the VDIMM to 2.8 V...29000 errors in half an hour. :eek:

I'll try upping the CPU voltage next, just to make sure. :bigeyes:

I tested both sticks individually just before. The stick of XMS3202 v1.2 is fine, while the XMS3202 v3.1 gave me a TON of errors. The v1.2 has already been RMA'ed to Corsair, so I was kind of expecting the second stick to be bad. :sigh!: Could it be that this stick just isn't compatible with my MSI KT4-Ultra SR, or is the stick just bad? :confused:

Over 30,000 errors in less than half an hour in Memtest 86+ BTW. :eek: That's with 2.8v in the mem, and lower than normal CPU multiplier speeds with more voltage.

• Corsair Employees

The modules should really be matched when running in dual channel, but since one is passing and the other is failing we can try replacing the failing module. But it may not solve the problem depending on the revision you get back, as there is no way we can specify that. You might ask our customer service if they can replace both modules with 2 that are the same revison and see what they say.

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

The modules should really be matched when running in dual channel, but since one is passing and the other is failing we can try replacing the failing module. But it may not solve the problem depending on the revision you get back, as there is no way we can specify that. You might ask our customer service if they can replace both modules with 2 that are the same revison and see what they say.

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

I think I'll try and call up customer service and see what they say. :sigh!:

Now this is really bugging me...I got an error on the XMS3200C2 v1.2 stick just before. Only 1 error, but with 2.8v and only at 333mhz, that just bugs me... :evil: If it gives me an error at 333, I don't want to know what it'll do when I get a new mobo and run it at 400 mhz in a few weeks.

What were the exact settings you had set for both CPU and memory? and on what test did you get the error?

The CPU I had at 12x166 @ 1.7V. It's 24/7 stable at 12.5x166 @ 1.675V. The mem was at 333mhz, 2-3-3-6 and 2.8V. The v3.1 stick had errors all over the place, while the v1.2 had an error in test 4. I might try running it again, just to make sure and see it wasn't just some fluke.

I would lower the CPU multiplier to 10 just to test the system, and if the results change then that may suggest the CPU and not the memory.

I'll try that in a few minutes then.

For some reason, I wouldn't doubt that it's my mobo. This POS has given me nothing but problems since I got it. The original one went back to MSI because of a faulty onboard HDD controller which died about a year after buying it. :sigh!:

Do you have another system you can test the modules in? And I have no problem with you getting the modules replaced if you like!

I can try my brother's computer, but if I remember correctly, his FSB is only running at 133, and his CPU is locked at it. Same motherboard though, so it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I could definately try though.

Just set the memory Frequency DDR333 and test the modules one at a time to be sure.

Will do, once he gets home. I'll probably have to fork over my laptop for an hour or two, but at least I'll be able to see if it really is the ram or if it's something else.

• Corsair Employees

No problem, please let me know when you get the new modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 2 weeks later...
No problem, please let me know when you get the new modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Just got them in 5 minutes ago! UPS delivered them a day or two early! You guys are great, sending me a TWINX pack! :biggrin: :sunglasse :D:

Now I just gotta install them! :p:

Archived