Corsair Community

H60 + i9 108500 high temperatures only when rendering

Hello this is my first post on the forum,

i hope to not break any rules

also sorry if my english is broken

Recently, (may 2021) i built a new rig with the specs in the dropdown.

i have bought a corsair h60 2018, and it does a decent job cooling my i9.

I get 33-45° on normal use. During testing with geekbench or cinebench i get 60-65°

BUT when doing renders in blender the temp spikes to 80-86° even with fan at full speed.

so my question is:

is the h60 too weak to handle the i9 on full load or there is some problem?

is there anything i can do to improve the situation? maybe replace stock thermal paste?

thank you for your help!

I think an H60 is a little underpowered for a 10 core processor and definitely if you are going to be doing moderate or high CPU load runs like rendering or encoding. You can probably get a peak wattage from the CPU during those runs in HWiNFO or other similar monitoring programs, but I know my 10900K can run anywhere from 220W-280W depending on load type and what I do with my BIOS settings. That is big load even for a 360mm radiator, but assuming your are in stock configuration at the power peaks a ~180W, I think a single 120mm panel is a little weak.

However, let me be clear that reducing peak CPU temps and reducing CPU temp average or long duration loads are two different things. If I run a really short test under 30 seconds, you might see the same temps on a 120mm or 360mm. The longer the test runs, the more the cooler matters. So with short renders or infrequent ones, you can get away with this and the coolant has time to drop in temperature between runs. If your runs are long or consecutive, the heat continues to build on each run and eventually the cooler becomes overwhelmed. The other factor is watts. The more watts, the faster this stuff happens.

You will need to be more specific about voltage and settings for anyone to put the CPU temps into comparison. I will see 80-85C on a 250W+ CPU render as well with my 10900K at 5.2GHz and 1.29v load volts. This is with a mutli-radiator custom cooling system, so rads galore cannot save you from heavy voltage/load/watts.

I think an H60 is a little underpowered for a 10 core processor and definitely if you are going to be doing moderate or high CPU load runs like rendering or encoding. You can probably get a peak wattage from the CPU during those runs in HWiNFO or other similar monitoring programs, but I know my 10900K can run anywhere from 220W-280W depending on load type and what I do with my BIOS settings. That is big load even for a 360mm radiator, but assuming your are in stock configuration at the power peaks a ~180W, I think a single 120mm panel is a little weak.

However, let me be clear that reducing peak CPU temps and reducing CPU temp average or long duration loads are two different things. If I run a really short test under 30 seconds, you might see the same temps on a 120mm or 360mm. The longer the test runs, the more the cooler matters. So with short renders or infrequent ones, you can get away with this and the coolant has time to drop in temperature between runs. If your runs are long or consecutive, the heat continues to build on each run and eventually the cooler becomes overwhelmed. The other factor is watts. The more watts, the faster this stuff happens.

You will need to be more specific about voltage and settings for anyone to put the CPU temps into comparison. I will see 80-85C on a 250W+ CPU render as well with my 10900K at 5.2GHz and 1.29v load volts. This is with a mutli-radiator custom cooling system, so rads galore cannot save you from heavy voltage/load/watts.

Thank you for your response, very informative. Everything is much clearer now. I do not render stuff on a daily basis, so i think i can get away with it for now. Meanwhile i will search for some more adequate cooler for my system.

I think i will go back to air cooling, high-end water coolers are really expensive, and as you said there isn't much difference between 120mm or 360mm on short runs.

When you mention replacing the stock thermal paste, did you reuse the cooler on the new rig without repasting?

If that is so, by all means change the paste, that alone should help save a few °C.

No the cooler is brand new, the thermal paste is the one that comes preapplied with it.

These temps on an H60 with an i9-10850k are pretty normal. My 10850k doesn't get much lower on a 360mm radiator. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading your cooling though. 86c is quite safe.

Ok, thank you. Is nice to know that at least i am not damaging my cpu.

A 360mm would give you more overclocking headroom but to be honest, if you mostly do blender rendering and care about render time, it would make more sense saving up for a GPU.

So yea a beefy aircooler would be a nice improvement from a 120mm AIO :)

But for a workstation, you may not care about RGB and there are really good 360mm AIO out there that are not at premium prices. but again, at stock settings, an air cooler would give the same results