Corsair Community

Hydro X pump/res and cpu block temps, iCue software

So, I'm a little confused, and that doesn't take much, so bear with me lol.

I have a XD5 pump/res and the XC7 cpu block. I'm also using the iCue software v4.11.274.

icuecooling.png

icuetemps.png

These are just above idle temps, since I was actually doing the screen shots, etc. When I use Cinebench, multi-core, I can get just up to 80c.

Is that good? I didn't add any thermal paste to the CPU, just kept the stock stuff on there. It would be nearly impossible to change it right now as I don't have a drain valve for the loop right now.

The other thing.. I have the iCue 465x RGB case, from Amazon, and it has a lighting core node in it, but it also came with a commander pro installed in it. It's a new, sealed in the box case, so it wasn't something someone else owned before. The commander pro shows up in the software, but I can't get access to the pump/res other than the lighting. It is plugged into the #6 port.

looks about right to me.

If you want cooler temperatures, you'll probably have to work on those 36W minimum CPU power.. aka, reducing the CPU load at idle. that's probably the main drawback of Ryzen, they run hot when doing nothing, although your idle temps are pretty decent.

If you change thermal paste, you may gain 2 or 3° tops.. it's good to get those few last points on 3Dmark, but nothing worth drain/filling.. If you plan on later reworking the loop to add drain ports, then yea you may as well cleanup the block and add high performance paste. The default one is pretty good though. Yours to see if it's worth paying a syringe of Kryonaut or KPX just for that.

looks about right to me.

If you want cooler temperatures, you'll probably have to work on those 36W minimum CPU power.. aka, reducing the CPU load at idle. that's probably the main drawback of Ryzen, they run hot when doing nothing, although your idle temps are pretty decent.

If you change thermal paste, you may gain 2 or 3° tops.. it's good to get those few last points on 3Dmark, but nothing worth drain/filling.. If you plan on later reworking the loop to add drain ports, then yea you may as well cleanup the block and add high performance paste. The default one is pretty good though. Yours to see if it's worth paying a syringe of Kryonaut or KPX just for that.

Thanks for the reassurance. I already have a syringe of Arctic MX4, so I'll change it out when I do rework the loop; might even be this weekend lol.

Should I be concerned that the pump doesn't show up other than the lighting aspect?

The pump does not show up as a separate device, like a Corsair AIO would. It exists in two places: 1) As PWM control on whichever Commander Pro header has the "4 pin" (2 wire) tachometer sensor from the XD5. 2) The second is as a lighting device in whichever channel on the Commander Pro. You must designate it as "Hydro X" first, then in the drop down menu there should be choices for XD5 -> XC7 so you can daisy chain the RGB and save a RGB channel on the Commander Pro.

Is the XD5 on C-Pro #6? If so, get off the presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme). In fact, get off the presets for all fans. You can use the shape tools in the corner of the custom curve as a basis. Pick the one on the left. That is the "Quiet" AIO curve. Then you can shift baseline and max speed points to meet your noise tolerances.

For the XD5, you can do custom curve or fixed RPM/PWM%. I would suggest fixed speed for now as you measure other factors. 2000 rpm is a decent idle speed. Below that you will be giving up a few degrees in terms of heat pickup but also sub-2000 means you MUST shift up when faced with load. If you want to make a dynamic curve, I would recommend you make it more plateau-like, with clear speed steps between certain coolant temp ranges. There is no reason to have the pump constantly shifting speed every 30 seconds. There should also be a "Hydro X" pump and fan curve profile. You can try them as you like, but like all presets it is impossible to make one universally perfect for every user.

If you have been testing with pump speeds in the 1500-2000 rpm range, I would re-assess with pump speeds at 3000 rpm and then maybe something like 4000 or 4500, just to compare. While the cycle rate may not dramatically impact the coolant temps, you can shave off several degrees in component temps with higher flow rates. This is especially true on larger die area chips with high power (GPUs, 12/16+ core CPUs, etc.)

The pump does not show up as a separate device, like a Corsair AIO would. It exists in two places: 1) As PWM control on whichever Commander Pro header has the "4 pin" (2 wire) tachometer sensor from the XD5. 2) The second is as a lighting device in whichever channel on the Commander Pro. You must designate it as "Hydro X" first, then in the drop down menu there should be choices for XD5 -> XC7 so you can daisy chain the RGB and save a RGB channel on the Commander Pro.

Is the XD5 on C-Pro #6? If so, get off the presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme). In fact, get off the presets for all fans. You can use the shape tools in the corner of the custom curve as a basis. Pick the one on the left. That is the "Quiet" AIO curve. Then you can shift baseline and max speed points to meet your noise tolerances.

For the XD5, you can do custom curve or fixed RPM/PWM%. I would suggest fixed speed for now as you measure other factors. 2000 rpm is a decent idle speed. Below that you will be giving up a few degrees in terms of heat pickup but also sub-2000 means you MUST shift up when faced with load. If you want to make a dynamic curve, I would recommend you make it more plateau-like, with clear speed steps between certain coolant temp ranges. There is no reason to have the pump constantly shifting speed every 30 seconds. There should also be a "Hydro X" pump and fan curve profile. You can try them as you like, but like all presets it is impossible to make one universally perfect for every user.

If you have been testing with pump speeds in the 1500-2000 rpm range, I would re-assess with pump speeds at 3000 rpm and then maybe something like 4000 or 4500, just to compare. While the cycle rate may not dramatically impact the coolant temps, you can shave off several degrees in component temps with higher flow rates. This is especially true on larger die area chips with high power (GPUs, 12/16+ core CPUs, etc.)

Ahhh!! Makes much more sense now. I know it's going to sound dumb, which it is lol. I have six fans, and I literally was thinking those six on the screen shot are those six fans. I completely forgot about the pump being on port 6, and I have two fans on a splitter on a different port. Also, now I also realize why that "fan 6" can reach almost 5000rpm, while the others don't.

I feel so dang stupid. I really really appreciate the help.