Corsair Community

iCue, H115i & Commander Pro - an unhappy tale

CHYR

I am struggling to see the benefits of Corsair's system. Hoping that someone can help me out.

I built my first ITX rig and have been unable to sync my H115i aio with/through a Commander Pro.

Unfortunately my ROG Strix B550-I has only 1 USB header which means that I cannot have both aio interface and a lighting node (both require USB).

So I thought I'd shell out for a Commander pro - after all it has 2 USB headers as well as additional fan power, right? Makes sense. But no. The H115i aio isn't seen by iCue if it goes through Commander Pro.

Then the lighting effects are different. If I use the Lighting Node, the lighting effects are not as good as the Commander Pro (that I paid for). and doesn't seem to be able to light the LL fans I have. But on the plus side I can at least now sync with my H115i. Another point, why can you not configure the individual fans, i.e. I have both LL and SP fans on my system, and it looks like I need to have separate LED set up for each. Surely if the software can work out which channel is which fan, it can also work out if each fan is different?

Finally, fans - the fans - why do the fans need to run at max RPMs all the time?

Sorry for the rant, but I've spent several days trying to fix this.

Any advice from those who know more and understand better?

For anyone interested, I solved this issue by getting an NZXT internal USB hub. It allows a single USB header on the MOB, with both the H115i aio and Commander Pro now showing up in iCue.

1) USB connectivity - It is most likely you are suffering from the underpowered X570/B550 issues. Apparently they are a bit light there and can be difficult straight up. Piggy backing 1-2 more devices through the Commander Pro almost never works. Most users with these MBs get a SATA powered USB hub to boost things and that solves two problems.

2) There should be no difference in the lighting effects for a given set of fans on any Corsair controller. "Pong" is Pong, whether it runs from a Commander Pro, Lighting Node Core, or Lighting Node Pro. However, if you are mixing fans that could cause the lighting effects to act in an unexpected way. See below.

3) All of the effects are programmed for a specific LED base unit and length. You designate fan type (LL) and means a 16 LED base unit (12 outer/4 inner). Then the number of fans. The program then generates 16 LEDs x fan # and adjusts the timing for that number of LEDs. In order to add or use whatever fan type you wanted, the program would have to be written to encompass every possible combination up to 6 of fan series that include 4, 8, 12, 16, or 34 LEDs. I am sure at some point I could run that number in my head, but obviously that is a lot of extra programming. It gets even more complicated since the fans do not have identical LED geometries. Some fans have outer rings, some don't. A lot of the special LL effects are unique to the LL/QL because of the ring. Your SP-RGB, SP-RGB Pro, or SP-Elite do not and cannot do all of those ring based effects. I cannot tell from your description what "SP" fans you have, but if they are the older SP-RGB with 4 center LEDs, you cannot use those with other fans at all. They are an odd duck and need their own controller or channel.

4) Commander Pro fan presets - get off them now. It is using CPU temp (the only guaranteed variable in a system), but running it on a water coolant type curve. You will sit there at 1400 all day on all three presets. It is a complex fan controller with lots of options. Use them. Make a custom curve and then select one of the shape tools in the corner. Change the sensor value to "H115i Temp". That is coolant temp. Case fans can be made to match the H115i fans for balance or tweaked in any way required. Other viable sensor choices are MB temp or GPU temp. Each requires the software be running to receive and interpret the data from those devices (MB). If you need to run independent of the software, you will want to use one of the 10K thermistors from the Commander Pro pack. Use it for exhaust air temp somewhere near the back of the case and you create a fairly predictable control source that works. You will need to learn the range of normal air temp operation, but it will be in control at all times.

Edited by c-attack