Corsair Community

Corsair ONE 2017 - CPU Upgrade

Hi all,

New Corsair One owner here, picked up a used 2017 model recently.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded the CPU on the 2017 machine to something like a 9900k?

Had a quick search of the forums and couldn't really find an answer.

Thanks

Hey there!

Nice move on getting a second hand one. Now you can do what you want with it.

I have a 2017 Corsair one and have fully upgraded everything. Running an air cooled graphics card but still using the original liquid cooler for the CPU. The CPU is an i7 10700.

As far as motherboards go, almost every ITX motherboard will fit just fine and you should still be able to use the liquid cooler. Of course the liquid cooler is for Intel CPUs only because of the bracket. But I can confirm that the CPU cooler supports at least up to 10th gen intel CPUs with Z490 ITX motherboards.

If you want to use air cooling for the CPU, then you will need to make sure the cooler will fit with the motherboard and that no components will get in the way such as RAM etc.

Hey there!

Nice move on getting a second hand one. Now you can do what you want with it.

I have a 2017 Corsair one and have fully upgraded everything. Running an air cooled graphics card but still using the original liquid cooler for the CPU. The CPU is an i7 10700.

As far as motherboards go, almost every ITX motherboard will fit just fine and you should still be able to use the liquid cooler. Of course the liquid cooler is for Intel CPUs only because of the bracket. But I can confirm that the CPU cooler supports at least up to 10th gen intel CPUs with Z490 ITX motherboards.

If you want to use air cooling for the CPU, then you will need to make sure the cooler will fit with the motherboard and that no components will get in the way such as RAM etc.

Hey thanks for the reply. That is awesome news! Glad to hear that you've successfully upgraded the machine. Fingers crossed my upgrades go smoothly :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey there!

Will the current motherboard take an upgraded CPU?

I ran the Windows 11 upgrade test and our 7700 doesn't meet minimum spec. :eek:

I would rather not have to upgrade BOTH the Motherboard and CPU if I can get away with it.

Unfortunately the Z270 motherboard on the 2017 Corsair One only supports up to 7th gen intel cpus. The way it works is intel changes the shape and connection of their cpus every two years. This means that the motherboards only support two generations of cpus before you have to upgrade. So for example current motherboards like the Z490 and Z590 support only 10th and 11th generation intel cpus. Once 12th generation cpus come out, we will need a new motherboard to upgrade.

Will the current motherboard take an upgraded CPU?

I ran the Windows 11 upgrade test and our 7700 doesn't meet minimum spec. :eek:

I would rather not have to upgrade BOTH the Motherboard and CPU if I can get away with it.

As EchoSierra said, unfortunately not. But there is hope! Microsoft is now backtracking on its statement on a clear cut on which generation CPU Windows 11 will support and 7th gen intel CPU is being considered, so I would say if you can and are comfortable enough, upgrade your One to the insider preview of windows 11. Microsoft is relying on the performance of these machines to determine whether 7th gen meet their performance expectations or not!

I'm personally using it on my One before my upgrade to the RTX 3080 and it's running smooth regardless!

• 3 months later...

Hi All, sounds like a few folks want to do exactly what I want to do: upgrade original 2017 Corsair One to support Win11.

I don't really need higher performance, and I'm concerned about (1) heat with the latest 125W "K" processors and (2) maximum power draw from the 500W PSU, so after some research I'm planning to go with an older 10th gen MSI Z490I UNIFY motherboard and Intel Core i5-10500 (65W). It should equal if not outperform the i7-7700K, and retain the S/PDIF port that I use with a DAC (that port seems to have been dropped from newer MSI motherboards).

In this post in the legacy Corsair forums there's a few pics of the 2017 Corsair One with new motherboards and even new GPU, so I expect it should be do-able, just very fiddly with the cabling: 

@EchoSierra I'm especially interested in your thoughts on this. From your comments above it sounds like this should be a pretty straightforward upgrade, but I've read there can be issues getting variable fan speed to work properly with the top-mounted chassis fan for minimum noise when using a generic MSI motherboard vs the Corsair specific MSI motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey peterjwhite. What I did was I upgraded the top fan to a Noctua NF-A14 140mm PWM fan. This fan has a top speed of 1500 RPM so it makes a bit more noise than the original fan (which is 1200 RPM fan) but idle noise is comparable. I ran a 10600K with a small overclock for a while with no issues at all (upgraded PSU to the SF600W). Temp was around 80C playing Rainbow 6 Siege at 1080p with very high framerates so the CPU was working more. Otherwise temps were pretty much 50C - 70C in other games. I now have a 10700F with PL1 bumped to 125W so temps are similar if not a bit less (76C) with R6 Siege and otherwise around 60 or less in other games. Switched to this CPU for the extra two cores. And I'm running the original liquid cooler on the CPU.

As far as variable fan speed you just need to make sure you install the latest Corsair Link for ONE software from this thread and follow the instructions on how to install it:

The software should work just fine with any motherboard and you get the added bonus of the top fan ramping up with both CPU and GPU temps. It may lose some monitoring data from the motherboard, but monitoring of CPU, GPU, pumps, fan, coolant, etc. will still work well. Funny thing is, it seems like this old software works better than what iCUE does on the 2019 and 2021 models. I've added a picture of what the software looks like in my system.

CorsairLink.PNG