Corsair Community

High HotSpot temps with new XG7 + 3090 install

Mashuri

Recently installed a dual rad setup with Hydro X Xg7 block/back plate on my Zotac 3090 (non oc).

General temps are great, but the hot-spot tmps are higher than before and causing throttling. I'm seeing 104c quickly in games like PUBG.. The card downclocks itself when this happens and Im seeing 30+ perf drop.

GPU: 64C

GDDR6X: 86C

HotSpot temp: 104C

Do I need to re apply thermal paste or pads?

is this block capable of keeping up with the memory of this card?

These are not OC'd settings - which I was capable of when using the OEM cooler.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I don't know exactly what's that hotspot temperature. hotsport of what? they didn't bother to tell apparently.. but since your card throttles i guess GPU die ^^

I'd reapply paste yes. Remember that's direct die cooling on GPUs, you want the entire silicon to be covered with paste. it's better to spread it before putting the waterblock to be sure there's no gaps.

Yes I used the paste and pads that came with the block... which I would assume is expected to work with this card. (Or there should be guidance to replace it from Corsair).

The "hotspot" is a sensor on the GPU card. You can see it with HWInfo.

I'm curious if I missed something ... or if this is a known limitation with the 3090? I will remove the block today to inspect.

that sensor is weird. on mine it's slightly over the GPU temp, but not by much. It seems to sit in between GPU and memory junction temps all the time. right now, 46 GPU, 64 memory, and 58 hotspot under load.

So i have no idea what it measures since it's clearly not the hottest sensor in the card.

But the fact that you see thermal throttling isn't good and that's not due to memory. 86° sucks but that's due to the XG7 using a purely aesthetic backplate. fine for 3080, not for 3090. and still, it's fine. Could run 10° hotter without issues.

Maybe there's a lack of coverage with the paste, or the waterblock not fully tightened down (mounting pressure).. could be a variety of things.

It's important to use cross tightening when mounting the block too. not fully tightening one screw, then the other etc.. or it may not lay flat on the die.

Just pointing at a few things that may make it throttle.

I wonder also, what is the water temperature like? without being catastrophic, the gpu temp is also on the high side of things.

Hey thanks for the tips - as you suspected it was the paste. Somehow about ... 1/3 of the upper half of the GPU wasn't touching the block. I added some more paste and made sure the pressure was sufficient ..

On the plus side, I was also able to confirm that all of the pads are making contact/pressure.

After same testing - we're looking at 52.3 GP, 78 Mem junction, and 69.2 hotspot.

Water temps are around 30*. Does that sound normal? (2 rad set up).

Thank goodness for built in thermal throttling!

the temperatures are pretty in line with mine as to where they sit relative to each other. sorry, i dont have more 3090s to test lol

As for the temps themselves relative to water temp, i can't say. each waterblock is different.

Those temps seem consistent with other 3090 users. The coolant to GPU diode temp differential is harder to nail down on 3090. Wattage plays a factor and temps do not usually scale in a linear fashion, especially at the upper limit. You’ll see strong differences between someone using the standard 350W power limit versus units with 480W+ modified VBIOS. Low +20s is consistent with most users.

I have the same block and card as the OP. At 350w, my block delta (water to core temp) is about 11-12C. So 30C water gives a 41-42C core temp.

Seems like results tend to be somewhat scattered even at the same power level. I think the tolerance buildup between the block and the card plays in to it, changing the amount of mounting pressure.

Flow rate changes it some too. At 25% pump, I think my block delta increases about 5C versus running 100% pump. (my numbers above are 100% pump) I have 3 rads and one is external, so I have a decent amount of flow restriction.

• 1 month later...
Recently installed a dual rad setup with Hydro X Xg7 block/back plate on my Zotac 3090 (non oc).

General temps are great, but the hot-spot tmps are higher than before and causing throttling. I'm seeing 104c quickly in games like PUBG.. The card downclocks itself when this happens and Im seeing 30+ perf drop.

GPU: 64C

GDDR6X: 86C

HotSpot temp: 104C

Do I need to re apply thermal paste or pads?

is this block capable of keeping up with the memory of this card?

These are not OC'd settings - which I was capable of when using the OEM cooler.

Thoughts or suggestions?

i used this on my vram, https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/t-global-technology/TG-PP10-50/1168-TG-PP10-50-ND/6204863 and put thermalright pads on top, now get junction temp of 68 gaming and 76 mining, it was 80 gaming and 96 mining so a good improvement

3ABBCB67-78A0-4EE3-AFF4-1D8A2C4BC392.thumb.JPG.fa841ef3abae78818b61265f7105e108.JPG

Edited by RogueSquadron80

• 6 months later...

Had exactly the same issue with my 3080 Ti. When I disassembled sure enough barely half the die had been in contact with the thermal paste. I tried again tightening it as much as possible then disassembled again and there was no change. Re-applied with a more generous helping of thermal paste and temperatures are now in line with expectations. I know usually less is more with thermal paste but sometimes maybe more is more. 

well if you have a milimeter worth of thermal paste between the block and the die, it's still pretty bad. the two have to make contact with a minimal amount of paste.

It will get you by until the paste dries, and you're losing thermal performance the farther away the block is.

If i were you i'd measure how thick the pads are, order one size below (it's always in 0.5mm increments) and reinstall the block with the correct mounting pressure.

And if i was Corsair, i'd fix that stupid oversight...

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same issue. and Just solved!

Disassembled the product and applied thermal paste on every thermal Pads.

Now the pads are stronger with the paste together.

Now it is a monster ! 

try to buy a very good thermal paste 

Cooler Master Cryofuze . Conductivity: 14W this is a monster product.

"COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER NANO R2"  Conductivity: 11W.