Corsair Community

Closing ICUE saves 20 watts ?

Hi, I was monitoring what power usage my PC used on idle and it was around 90-100watts as soon I close ICUE its 70-80watts fans spinning the same speed no rgb lighting enabled for both tests

I love the way I can control my QL Fans and control and set fan curves but wished the system usage was lower when looking in processes I see alot of corsair processes most are 0.1-0.2% , Corsair.Service (32bit) is 0.4-1%

Think it causes the CPU to spike which increases power

Any plans to try to get usage lower ?

My system is

5900x

MSI x570 Unify

Corsair hardware

Commander Pro

RGB Hub

6 QL120 fans

HX1000i

CMW32GX4M4C3600C18

M65 Pro RGB

K55 RGB

Thanks

Yea it's an old issue, iCUE3 almost got that tackled since they reduced CPU usage before making it EOL.

It's a mix of high CPU usage from iCUE services, and Ryzen pushing high core voltages at idle to sustain boost frequencies.

It's worth checking your motherboard runs the latest BIOS, to be sure you are using the latest improvements AMD released on lowering idle power usage. There was an AGESA update a few months back that adressed that to some extent. That may help shave a few watts off already.

Yea it's an old issue, iCUE3 almost got that tackled since they reduced CPU usage before making it EOL.

It's a mix of high CPU usage from iCUE services, and Ryzen pushing high core voltages at idle to sustain boost frequencies.

It's worth checking your motherboard runs the latest BIOS, to be sure you are using the latest improvements AMD released on lowering idle power usage. There was an AGESA update a few months back that adressed that to some extent. That may help shave a few watts off already.

Hi, I just built this system and updated to latest bios - ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.2 - 2021-05-17

putting it on power saving doesnt do much

I also have NZXT CAM and that seems fine for usage also tested that only loaded but that only controls the Z73 AIO

coming from an i7 6700k system which used lower power with same corsair setup

thought would be fine the AMD cores go to sleep and looking at CPU power usage in Ryzen master CPU power is 34-36watts suprised rest of the board uses that much extra power

when you close iCUE, what does your lighting do?

the LEDs can suck an impressive amount of current, so just changing from software control to hardware mode lighting presets can also explain a lot of the power difference.

On my particular setup, setting all the lighting from off to the usual colors increases by 10W the 5V rail power usage.

Going full white gives a +32W... so it can play a lot too.

when you close iCUE, what does your lighting do?

the LEDs can suck an impressive amount of current, so just changing from software control to hardware mode lighting presets can also explain a lot of the power difference.

On my particular setup, setting all the lighting from off to the usual colors increases by 10W the 5V rail power usage.

Going full white gives a +32W... so it can play a lot too.

the lighting is all off also set ICUE to nothing connected for lighting

One thing I have recently become aware of on Intel Comet Lake is the idle power usage drops dramatically when turning off the Intel TVB protocols with CUE still running. This is true even when using a heavy overclock like 5.2x10 manual voltage or 5.2 all core adaptive. This is the same lighting profiles, hardware, etc. with the only change being the instructions given to the CPU.

There may not be an exact equivalent for AMD, but this was a big deal when the last generation of Ryzen CPUs launched, everyone complained, and AMD effectively said everyone else should change. However, given that your CPU usage resources are already low, that power does not change with lighting, and I know it does not change with the number of devices, there is an element of CPU behavior/instruction in this.

Edited by c-attack

Hi, I was monitoring what power usage my PC used on idle and it was around 90-100watts as soon I close ICUE its 70-80watts fans spinning the same speed no rgb lighting enabled for both tests

I love the way I can control my QL Fans and control and set fan curves but wished the system usage was lower when looking in processes I see alot of corsair processes most are 0.1-0.2% , Corsair.Service (32bit) is 0.4-1%

Think it causes the CPU to spike which increases power

Any plans to try to get usage lower ?

My system is

5900x

MSI x570 Unify

Corsair hardware

Commander Pro

RGB Hub

6 QL120 fans

HX1000i

CMW32GX4M4C3600C18

M65 Pro RGB

K55 RGB

Thanks

iCue prevents the CPU from idling, its a long known bug that they've never fixed and try to blame everyone else for it existing

It happens on intel too, but they try to blame it on AMD

iCue prevents the CPU from idling, its a long known bug that they've never fixed and try to blame everyone else for it existing

It happens on intel too, but they try to blame it on AMD

Thats a shame kinda now stuck in the eco system of using Corsair parts so wondering even if I just use corsair keyboard and mouse ICUE will still do it ? or is it because its monitoring the fan curves ?

I do like how you can control the fans with icue set case fans according to the GPU temps

If moving away from corsair would need to sell the QL120 / Commander Pro at an loss only positive I returned the Corsair RGB ram and got some G-Skill RGB Ram instead

I have MSI x570 unify board so wondering if I could just use its software to control all the fan speeds and argb so all devices just use one software

I guess I could get fans that connect via argb get an argb splitter and use the boards software to control fan speed set curves ?

For case fan connection I could use the motherboard case fan headers and if need extra could get splitter hub I have MSI x570 unify board wondering if the software will let me set the case fan curves according to GPU temp

Will have to think about it and look more into it :roll:

You also have to take into account that X570 chip, it's a little space heater :)

the Corsair RGB only uses different connectors but at the heart it's the same protocol as all other computer ARGB. You'll just need adapters to use standard ARGB but you lose the daisy chain capability, unless you go with Aquacomputer (the Splitty4 allows that with their controllers)

Copro on the other hand, unuseable without iCUE, unless you set a fan curve, uninstall iCUE and never want to change it ever.

You can also try OpenRGB but it will only control lighting, not cooling.

Regarding GPU temp, i can't comment on MSI since i stopped using that **** brand in the pentium days ^^ but Asus for example allows control by GPU temp, so i don't see why dragon center wouldn't.

You also have to take into account that X570 chip, it's a little space heater :)

the Corsair RGB only uses different connectors but at the heart it's the same protocol as all other computer ARGB. You'll just need adapters to use standard ARGB but you lose the daisy chain capability, unless you go with Aquacomputer (the Splitty4 allows that with their controllers)

Copro on the other hand, unuseable without iCUE, unless you set a fan curve, uninstall iCUE and never want to change it ever.

You can also try OpenRGB but it will only control lighting, not cooling.

Regarding GPU temp, i can't comment on MSI since i stopped using that **** brand in the pentium days ^^ but Asus for example allows control by GPU temp, so i don't see why dragon center wouldn't.

I just had a little play with MSI dragon center I can control the corsair keyboard and mouse rgb without icue I plugged fan into sys fan header of board doesnt seem to be option to control sys fan with gpu temp thats not good at all when Asus can :[pouts: msi x570 unify isnt exactly cheap

But I did download software called Fan Control and that let me adjust sys fan curve according to gpu temp

Also I forgot I have the following header on my board

JCORSAIR1: CORSAIR Connector

The JCORSAIR1 connector allows you to connect the CORSAIR Individually

Addressable Lighting PRO RGB LED strips 5V or CORSAIR RGB fans with the CORSAIR

fan hub. Once all items are connected properly, you can control the CORSAIR RGB

LED strips and fans with MSI's software.

So I can connect the Corsair RGB hub into it and use MSI dragon to control RGB HUB only takes 6 RGB fans Im planning to use 10 fans in total wondering if used splitters to add extra 4 will be too much for the hub ?

At the moment I can use Fan control to control the fans by GPU temps and MSI dragon to control RGB

I was also looking at the uni sl120 fans :bigeyes:

Will have a good think about it :D:

I know that icue3 was cpu hungry, it was only 32bit software and services. but icue4 is not, almost in part is 64 bit, and needs less cpu... so i think uses "less watts" :D

I have the plug which monitors power usage and pretty sure at idle system was around 100watts but once I closed ICUE it dropped to around 80watts everything the same same fan speed and no rgb lighting both times

Could test again but had to return the 5900x because it died after 1 week just put the system together so waiting on replacement also could depend on CPU used I know the 5900x cores go to sleep on idle only needs something small to boost the clocks high for sec or 2 and that uses power

currently have the ryzen 5 3600 installed doing tests see what uses more power , MSI Dragon to control rgb / Fan control for fan control see how they compare

So I tested exited all icue processes

used software called Fan control to control fan connected to sys fan header of board

MSI center to control RGB

with ICUE idle and using plug that shows power usage from socket it was using 90-98watts

Fan Control + MSI Center it uses 70-78watts

All fans same speed and lighting the same used on both.

I think I will move away from ICUE and just get fans that support argb and get hubs for argb and fan

Shame because I like the navigation of icue and how easy to set stuff up