Corsair Community

a200 (pro) feedback?

I'm on the verge of ordering one, as its -apparently- the best combination of:

3080 / 64Gb / small stylish form factor / quiet at idle / no crazy RGB

And the general online reviews are generally impressive... and I'm pretty hyped for it.

However I want a computer that will

- Be stable, well rounded and no fuss of setup (thats the goal of a pre-built!)

- Functional and supported for a long time (my current i5/gtx770 is ~7 years old, only the HDs and a noisy fan were swapped through time)

Any a200/i200 owners in here? Any extra feedback?

As reading threads on a support forum is always scary, and might be only a minority of systems affected

(but this recent thread iCue control inverted seems particularly strange to me, i'll follow the support feedback on that...)

Edited by bl4cklight

Guest techildllc

And the general online reviews are generally impressive... and I'm pretty hyped for it.

- Functional and supported for a long time (my current i5/gtx770 is ~7 years old, only the HDs and a noisy fan were swapped through time)

As reading threads on a support forum is always scary, and might be only a minority of systems affected

(but this recent thread iCue control inverted seems particularly strange to me, i'll follow the support feedback on that...)

Thats the system I have. The A200 Pro. I am the one that opened up the ticket about iCue controls inverted. I am going to hold my judgement until they fix this issue. Its kind of unusable right now unless you set the fan at 100% fixed and just bare with the sound. If you set it for anything else other than that, what happens is once the coolant temperature gets above a certain threshold, they override your set point and you end up with a run away event as they have the controls inverted. (Fans shut off as they think they are asking for the fans to run at 100%).

I am still playing with the system but I have now noticed a second potential problem with RAM timing. I am going to open up another post/ticket and see what's going on there.

I love the form factor, its amazing how much they have crammed into this volume, but at the same time, the first use experience has been less than stellar with these bugs.

Edit: Well well well, seems like Corsair is pulling a fast one here on RAM quality! While they do not explicitly say the timing of the RAM they are using. The overview specs they show would lead one to believe they are using the same Vengeance LPX RAM they sell on their retail market.

https://i.imgur.com/nh02mlK.png

Edited by Technobeard
pic too big; changed to link - keep as link or crop the image

The system will not be functional and supported for a long time. The older CorsairONE systems relied on Corsair LINK to control the fans. There is currently a bug in Corsair LINK that causes BSOD. They are not updating Corsair LINK to fix this issue, nor are they updating iCUE to support these systems. Their 'Fix' is to uninstall Corsair LINK and do the Windows update WITHOUT cooling, perform a regedit, and then reinstall Corsair LINK.

Corsair will also not provided parts / repair services for out of warranty systems. If the custom AIO starts failing in 2 years, you are buying a new computer. There has been one user who managed to get phone support to have the warehouse send them an AIO, but the generic reply from Corsair is that they do not provide replacement parts.

I have owned an a100 system for almost a year now. A summary of all of the issues that I have had in this time can be found in this Post. TLDR; Corsair's 'Award winning support' was a participation award. If they even do it, software updates to fix issues take a very long time.

Despite the amazing engineering that went into this case, it is still thermally limited. They also locked the power limit of the GPU at 250W on the a100. I'm willing to bet they did the same with the a200. This will result in lower boost clocks for both the GPU and CPU.

With the a100 it seems the GPU cooling loop was at it's max, and that there was very little headroom with the CPU loop. The a200 adds another 70W of GPU power to the loop and a CPU that has a lower max temp.

AMD released 8 BIOS updates for the retail version of the motherboard in the a100. A lot of these updates were related to the the boosting algorithm. AS you can see in this Thread Corsair wasn't going to update the custom BIOS of the custom variant of the same motherboard they have in the a100. The only reason they did was because of the AMD USB issue. Neither the employees on this forum or the support technician I had an open ticket with expected this update. The support tech was telling me to check the website once a week to see IF there was going to be an update and instead recommended an RMA. The RMA process was an entirely different nightmare.

Thanks for the feedback, for now I'm delaying such a purchase because there are too many unknowns. The pcmag/youtube reviews of the machine were generally quite enthusiastic, and yes as a test unit (if iCUE works well) its probably quite fabulous and in a league of its own.

... but the concern is long term usage, picking up from your arguments above.

- the reliability/replacement options of the cooling loop

- software support

(and furthermore, ordering something like this from the north side of thee USA border... is an additional hassle/cost in case of RMA/return)

Guest techildllc
Thanks for the feedback, for now I'm delaying such a purchase because there are too many unknowns. The pcmag/youtube reviews of the machine were generally quite enthusiastic, and yes as a test unit (if iCUE works well) its probably quite fabulous and in a league of its own.

... but the concern is long term usage, picking up from your arguments above.

- the reliability/replacement options of the cooling loop

- software support

(and furthermore, ordering something like this from the north side of thee USA border... is an additional hassle/cost in case of RMA/return)

Yeah, well I am sure Corsair sponsors a bunch of these reviewers. Its hard to be truly objective when you are a puppet with a master. That goes for almost all of these reviews regardless of the product or company.

For example: This comes directly from Tomshardware:

The video connections from the RTX 3080 graphics card live next to the Corsair SF750 power supply, and come in the form of three DisplayPort 1.4a ports and a single HDMI 2.1 connector.

Well thats just wrong, its HDMI 2.0 and DP1.2 bandwidth with 1.4 feature set, confirmed by Corsair. This is NOT a minor flaw for the price point you are paying. Most people wont even notice until they try to hook up a high end display. Maybe a year or two down the line when they are out of their return window.

Hard to say what unit they got, probably some golden samples. So unless its a true hardware issue with my AIO, then these reviewers probably didnt even push the system enough to get it to kick the fan up.

Yeah RMA is certainly a hassle. I just RMA-ed mine, we shall see!

I don't believe all reviewers are shills for the companies. I do think that most Reviewers don't live with the system long enough or test it with various hardware configurations unless there is a reason to.

If Corsair's product info says that it is DP1.4a and HDMI2.1 and they plug it into a high end gaming monitor w/o issue... then they have no reason to doubt the cables inside have lower bandwidth.

It is bad on Corsair for hiding that information from us and the reviewers.

I'm pretty sure the system is impressive as a review unit, and I was pretty hyped for it honestly.

But in the current state... upgradability/replacement of the parts, and commitment to the maintenance of the important software driver are unclear.

Great design effort has been put in the hardware, to have a winner in my book its mostly a matter of company policy to commit to long-term maintenance and part availability.

== Epilogue

I found a local walk-in shop able to get Custom builds with a RTX3800 (yeah at roughly x2 price of months ago)

Will the system be as quiet/minimalist-stylish/small as the ONE? no.

But an "equivalent" system with some extras pitched in (ram speed, additional HD, and... no HDMI/DisplayPort ambiguity) for 80% of the cost... is a good "plan B" :)

cheers