Corsair Community

iCue control inverted and backwards!

Guest techildllc

Guest techildllc

Just got my A200 pro in today. Updated to windows 10 21H1. After installing some basic programs and running for less than 30 min, system started to overheat. The front LED bars started flashing red.

Noticed that the top fan was NOT spinning. I recall it was spinning when I first booted up.

After chasing the problem for a while I found that the controls in iCue are completely backwards. What do I mean by backwards?

If you do a custom cooling preset

0% fan control gets you 100% fan speed

25% -> 75%

50% -> 50%

75% -> 25%

100% -> 0%

So what do you get when this happens? Well in default and extreme profile, as the system heats up, the fan control gets higher and higher but in reality, its actually going lower and lower. How is this even possible to get it so wrong on a $4400 system!

Running iCue 4.11.274

Corsair One Pro Liquid Cooler v 1.00.07

Youtube video attached to show behavior:

[ame]

[/ame]

On a side note, that "custom" fan curve isnt even a curve! Its a straight line with 2 points. I cant figure out for the life of me how to build an actual curve! There doesnt seem to be an option to add more points.

Oh and also the supposed 24 hour CORSAIR ONE SUPPORT doesn't have anyone answering the call. Was on hold for over 30 mins with music with no sign of anyone to answer or the queue length.

ZT8p6JN.png

Unfortunately you can't adjust fan curve at all. It is built in with the liquid pump. One thing I would suggest for the time being while you wait for a response from corsair, is to connect the top fan directly to the motherboard and create your own fan curve based on CPU temps in the BIOS. This way you can at least use your system.

You could also try, if you haven't done it already, to uninstall and re-install iCUE and see if that works. Something else you could try is to install iCUE v3.

Guest techildllc
Unfortunately you can't adjust fan curve at all. It is built in with the liquid pump. One thing I would suggest for the time being while you wait for a response from corsair, is to connect the top fan directly to the motherboard and create your own fan curve based on CPU temps in the BIOS. This way you can at least use your system.

You could also try, if you haven't done it already, to uninstall and re-install iCUE and see if that works. Something else you could try is to install iCUE v3.

Yeah I mean I can use the system by simply doing a custom fixed fan speed. Just kind of dumb for a $4400 setup!

Did install and reinstall multiple times including trying 3.8 before I figured out the inversion.

Honestly, iCUE cannot be trusted to keep these systems cool, the development team doesn't have the expertise to write such mission critical software.

I have moved the top fan from the cooler to the motherboard and set 100% speed. iCUE is not worth the resouces that it consumes.

I had a different issue where the cooling logs showed

2021-05-06 20:25:18.0429 | 16 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Set Default curve mode for Fan #0

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Write performance settings (Fan #0, Mode = DefaultCPUGPUInternalTemp)

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp: 40 42 44 45 46 47 48

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM: 0 20 40 55 70 85 100

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp: 40 42 44 45 46 47 48

2021-05-06 20:25:18.2511 | 20 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM: 0 30 50 60 70 85 100

Then days later it was rebooting the cooler because of timeouts. I was still able to control the fan profiles... but then one morning I turned on the computer and found the default profile was setting this:

2021-05-08 11:07:32.6467 | 31 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================

2021-05-08 11:07:57.7798 | 32 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Set Default curve mode for Fan #0

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Write performance settings (Fan #0, Mode = DefaultCPUGPUInternalTemp)

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp: 27 0 0 0 0 0 0

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp: 0 0 0 31 0 0 0

2021-05-08 11:07:57.9826 | 64 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM: 0 0 30 0 0 0 0

this happened in iCUE v3, and I opened a support ticket for it. They eventually said they had to forward the issue to the iCUE team. My issue was marked as resolved, yet iCUE 4 still has the same issue.

Honestly, if you are still in your return period... do it. You are about to spend 2 months of your life trying to get support to understand the issue. You can get another pre-built for that price, save some money, and not have to deal with this absolute joke of a company.

There is another thread on here were older CorsairONE systems need a different piece of software to control the fan. That software causes blue screens on the latest version of Windows 10... but a user was told that it isn't supported anymore and won't be getting any updates.

• Corsair Employees

Hey techildllc,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Did you also submit a ticket regarding this particular issue? I believe the support team has reached out to me regarding a ticket with a similar situation like yours.

We'll be investigating this right now.

Guest techildllc
Honestly, if you are still in your return period... do it. You are about to spend 2 months of your life trying to get support to understand the issue. You can get another pre-built for that price, save some money, and not have to deal with this absolute joke of a company.

There is another thread on here were older CorsairONE systems need a different piece of software to control the fan. That software causes blue screens on the latest version of Windows 10... but a user was told that it isn't supported anymore and won't be getting any updates.

Well, I think support has understood the issue and they are looking into it, the video says 1000 words. Not much more to show. I will give them a couple of days to fix this. Certainly not going to wait a month.

Hey techildllc,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Did you also submit a ticket regarding this particular issue? I believe the support team has reached out to me regarding a ticket with a similar situation like yours.

Yes, I did. I submitted a ticket last night as well. The ticket info should be linking the same video.

Well, I think support has understood the issue and they are looking into it, the video says 1000 words. Not much more to show. I will give them a couple of days to fix this. Certainly not going to wait a month.

Yes, I did. I submitted a ticket last night as well. The ticket info should be linking the same video.

I reported my issue to Corsair through an official support ticket in July 2020. 10 months and a major version release later and the issue was still not resolved.

Don't miss your return window hoping they will fix this issue. Also, look at what is happening with the older models and Corsair LINK. They aren't updating the software to fix a critical BSOD bug. Instead they are suggesting that the users run their out of warranty systems w/o cooling while doing a windows update, regedit, and software install.

What happens 3 years down the line when iCUE gets replaced? If history repeats itself you will have a paperweight.

Guest techildllc
I reported my issue to Corsair through an official support ticket in July 2020. 10 months and a major version release later and the issue was still not resolved.

Don't miss your return window hoping they will fix this issue. Also, look at what is happening with the older models and Corsair LINK. They aren't updating the software to fix a critical BSOD bug. Instead they are suggesting that the users run their out of warranty systems w/o cooling while doing a windows update, regedit, and software install.

What happens 3 years down the line when iCUE gets replaced? If history repeats itself you will have a paperweight.

Well, I have officially decided to RMA the system after 3 whole days of ownership. After going through the troubleshooting process provided, the system would sporadically stop identifying the AIO. Now its not even booting up! Not going to mess with it any more. I asked them to send me a label to ship it back. Asked for an overnight label to speed this up. Later found out while at the UPS store, they sent me a 3 day select. Well thats as slow as UPS ground for where I am at. For how much they are charging for this, its pretty Scrooge of them!

If it doesnt come back PERFECT in every way shape and form, I am going to test the crap out of all of the functionality, its going straight back to a return!

My cooling logs were showing USB issues left and right, and then would turn the fan off. I assumed it was due to the AMD x570 issue and RMA'd it for that reason. I had started the RMA process before Corsair released AMD BIOS fix, and the support techs had no clue that the BIOS update was even happening.

I'm surprised that you were able to RMA your system so quickly...

I didn't have a spare computer lying around at the time and I work from home. I tried to do an advanced RMA where they send me a computer before I send mine back. They needed to put a hold on my credit card to do this...but it kept getting kicked back. I verified with my bank multiple times, and they said they approved the transactions. I was also trying to buy an a200 at the same time, and the same issue kept happening.

I ended up having to build a computer out of spare parts so that I could send the CorsairONE back. After 2+ months I finally sent the machine out, on the same 3-day ground service.

From the emails the sent me, they replaced the cooler and 'all USB's passing testing'. I asked if the updated the BIOS and never got a reply... so I doubt that they did. It is OTW back to me now, and I'm willing to bet they didn't update the BIOS. They probably just plugged a USB2 drive into each port and pulled it as soon as it showed in windows. I doubt they did extensive testing like with a VR headset

• 2 weeks later...
Hey techildllc,

I too am having issues with brand new a200 pro, same as everyone else. Called support to get help, and that wasn't very helpful. They suggested I return it when I indicated this was entirely unacceptable! I will be returning if not resolved in the next week or two (before return window closes).

Other thread with my post located here

My machine A200 had iCue 3.x installed and the fan controls work correctly, so I guess it's caused by iCue4. Did you guys update to 4.x or was it installed by default?

Also, in iCue3 the custom slider can apparently only be moved up/down and it remains horizontal, which is kind of senseless because that means the fan speed is constant irrelevant of temperature... Is that the same in iCue4 or can speed be tweaked as an actual curve (or at least a line with a slope)... (ignoring the fact of the inverted fan speed in iCue4)?

Edited by kalmiya

TLDR: Corsair can't be trusted with writing mission-critical software. Both iCUE 3 and iCUE 4 are garbage and shouldn't be trusted to keep the system cool, even if it is working fine now. Corsair's 'Award winning support' was a participation award.

I had iCUE 3 installed on my a100. It allowed me to set 3 profiles, and I couldn't add any additional ones.

1) Extreme was 100% fan speed

2) Custom was a fixed % fan speed

3) Default was a Corsair defined fan curve

About a month after I got the machine it started indicating that it was overheating. I realized that the fan wasn't spinning at all. Checking the cooling logs there was a USB timeout and iCUE issued a reboot signal to the cooler. Once the cooler rebooted iCUE set a flat fan speed of 0%.

When I contacted support for this issue they told me that for 'Warranty' purposes they didn't allow custom fan curves or additional profiles. This was complete BS as it clearly says in the software that it will override your settings if additional cooling is required.

As far as the default profile issues, they first blamed it on the weather. I explained to them multiple times that iCUE wasn't turning on the fan. They then told me the system was fine running at 90c with blinking red lights indicating overheating, as long as I wasn't getting BSODs.

When I I told them this isn't acceptable and there is a bug in iCUE that needs to be fixed, they said they needed to forward the issue to the iCUE team. The ticket was marked as solved, but the bug was never resolved. I had to resort to leaving my fan set to 100% to keep the system from overheating.

I tried iCUE4 recently, and its basically just a fresh coat of paint over iCUE3. They added some more RGB stuff, and somehow managed to make the user experience even worse. They also did not fix the bug that was turning off my fan.

I tried getting in contact with support to get my a100 BIOS updated to fix the USB issues thinking that would get around the bug in iCUE. They told me there was no BIOS update, even though ASUS has released the BIOS update for the retail version of this motherboard. They told me my only option was to RMA the system, which took 3 months to complete. I tried to do an advanced RMA where they send me a computer before I send them mine. They kept saying my card was rejected, even though the bank said they approved the transaction. I ended up building an entirely new system just so I could RMA my CorsairONE. During that time, they actually released the BIOS update that I was originally asking for.

They told me they were replacing the cooler and SSD. When I asked if they were updating the BIOS, they told me that all the USB had passed testing. They ignored every message I sent asking if they updated the BIOS and what 'passing' meant.

The machine I got back was not the machine I sent them. They sent me back a scratched refurbished unit and didn't even bother to update the BIOS to the latest version.

I had an a200 on order, which also took multiple support tickets because (again) they kept rejecting my card even though the bank approved the transaction. I have since canceled that order.

I didn't even bother booting up the CorsairONE they sent back to me. I complained about the condition of the machine they sent back to me and they are looking into it. I don't expect anything to come of it, and once the ticket is closed this machine is going on eBay as I don't want any Corsair products in my house.

See this Thread for the complete details of the above support debacles

Edited by Azureblood2

Let us also not forget this Thread

TLDR: Corsair is no longer supporting Corsair LINK software. People are still using older model CorsairONE systems that rely on this software. iCUE will not recognize these systems. Corsair REFUSED to update it to address a BSOD with Windows 20H2. They instead had the users do a registry edit to fix the issue.

My machine A200 had iCue 3.x installed and the fan controls work correctly, so I guess it's caused by iCue4. Did you guys update to 4.x or was it installed by default?

Also, in iCue3 the custom slider can apparently only be moved up/down and it remains horizontal, which is kind of senseless because that means the fan speed is constant irrelevant of temperature... Is that the same in iCue4 or can speed be tweaked as an actual curve (or at least a line with a slope)... (ignoring the fact of the inverted fan speed in iCue4)?

Mine came with icue 3 also. Only upgraded to 4 as 3 had the issues described and wanted to see if 4 was any better - it wasn’t and then has serious UI font scaling issues for people (like almost everyone) who run a desktop scale > 100% as is required when running a high resolution desktop.

Don’t know how your not having same issues although the horizontal fixed fan speed only (no curve) you mention is one of them! And support has acknowledged the issues and customer complaints so the issue is real and on every system.

Mine is 100% being returned if this isn’t addressed in the immediate term.

On my i160, with both iCue 3 and 4, the slider in the Custom setting allows you to set the minimum fan speed (as a percentage). The fan will run at that percentage until the system temperature gets high enough to require more air flow, then the fan ramps up. When the temperature drops, the fan will ramp down, as appropriate, but won’t drop below whatever you set as the minimum custom setting. Basically, it works just like the Default setting with the custom setting just replacing the 0 fan mode.

Both iCue 3 and 4 have always worked fine for me.

Guest techildllc

Yep same here, came with 3.X, was all messed up so I tried upgrading to 4.X. Same problem. Followed their help instructions and down graded back to 3.X. Not sure why they thought that would even help....

Mine came with icue 3 also. Only upgraded to 4 as 3 had the issues described and wanted to see if 4 was any better - it wasn’t and then has serious UI font scaling issues for people (like almost everyone) who run a desktop scale > 100% as is required when running a high resolution desktop.

Don’t know how your not having same issues although the horizontal fixed fan speed only (no curve) you mention is one of them! And support has acknowledged the issues and customer complaints so the issue is real and on every system.

Yeah, among other issues, a horizontal line with 2 points is NOT a fan curve. It literally does not fit the definition of a curve. A curve is "a line or outline which gradually deviates from being straight for some or all of its length."

Yep, still waiting on my RMA, we shall see! Probably just gonna get returned. Its coming up on a week for them having the system. Not looking good!

On my i160, with both iCue 3 and 4, the slider in the Custom setting allows you to set the minimum fan speed (as a percentage). The fan will run at that percentage until the system temperature gets high enough to require more air flow, then the fan ramps up. When the temperature drops, the fan will ramp down, as appropriate, but won’t drop below whatever you set as the minimum custom setting. Basically, it works just like the Default setting with the custom setting just replacing the 0 fan mode.

Both iCue 3 and 4 have always worked fine for me.

I mean sure, you can do that, but thats just janky for a $4400 system. Its NOT a fan curve. Also this is clearly an issue with their new Corsair One Pro A200. Since the AIO controls the fan directly (fan is plugged into a wire coming out of the AIO) and the AIO self identifies as a Corsair ONE pro A200 through USB.

Just pointing out that the custom fan setting does not mean that the “fan speed is constant irrelevant of temperature” as suggested here. The minimum fan speed is constant in the sense that the fan speed will never drop below that speed, but the fan will ramp up above that minimum setting as needed for cooling.

And the C1 does have a fan curve - the curve between any custom setting (or 0 if in default setting) and the maximum fan speed. The fan ramps up or down through this curve as needed. It’s just not a curve the user can fine tune apart from setting the minimum. The fan curve works quite well, at least on my i160.

Just pointing out how the system works for those who might be reading these posts who don’t own a C1. Could it allow more fine tuning? Definitely. Does it work well as is? Definitely.

I was running three 4k displays at one point... Windows does a horrible job supporting text scaling. It certainly is possible for a developer to properly scale an, but judging by the rest of the software Corsair just doesn't care enough about user experience to devote development time to it.

I ended up going back to three 1440p displays at 100% text scaling.

Just pointing out that the custom fan setting does not mean that the “fan speed is constant irrelevant of temperature” as suggested here. The minimum fan speed is constant in the sense that the fan speed will never drop below that speed, but the fan will ramp up above that minimum setting as needed for cooling.

And the C1 does have a fan curve - the curve between any custom setting (or 0 if in default setting) and the maximum fan speed. The fan ramps up or down through this curve as needed. It’s just not a curve the user can fine tune apart from setting the minimum. The fan curve works quite well, at least on my i160.

Just pointing out how the system works for those who might be reading these posts who don’t own a C1. Could it allow more fine tuning? Definitely. Does it work well as is? Definitely.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I didn't verify the behaviour, but assuming you are correct the UI is a bit misleading. It clearly states "Fixed" and the line clearly displays a fixed rate irrelevant of the temperature. So in practice it will actually adjust "upward" on demand. So basically you move the left coordinate up-or down with the right coordinate staying fixed at (I guess) the maximum - resulting in a sloped line.

http://www.boerdijk.org/images/2021/corsair/icue-custom-temperature.png

Edited by kalmiya

• Corsair Employees

The custom fan setting in iCUE is ultimately to set the minimum fan speed. iCUE will ramp up the fan once specific thresholds are broken.

Let us also not forget this Thread

TLDR: Corsair is no longer supporting Corsair LINK software. People are still using older model CorsairONE systems that rely on this software. iCUE will not recognize these systems. Corsair REFUSED to update it to address a BSOD with Windows 20H2. They instead had the users do a registry edit to fix the issue.

This is slightly incorrect. We did provide an update to Corsair Link and you can find the post / instructions here. From what we've seen users haven't needed to change the registry setting as it is already set after the install but in case it doesn't, the instructions are there.

If issues come up with future Windows Update then we'll take a look and make appropriate fixes when possible.

Guest techildllc

Corsair has had my system in their repair facility coming up on 2 weeks now. There is no word on the repair status. I have asked for a return and refund at this point as I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You would think it should be very simple as they already have the system back to provide a refund. Nope! They claim they needed to escalate the ticket and that someone will get back to me. Whats there to escalate, I am well within my rights to return and refund! Corsair has their system back! Now they are just stalling and saying, let me check on the status of your repair! Well *****, I dont care what the status of the repair is, I dont want your POS system! Gonna give them another 24 hours before I just file a charge back on my credit card against this company!

Definitely warning EVERYONE to stay away!

@mwinter77, Did you end up returning your system?

• Corsair Employees
Corsair has had my system in their repair facility coming up on 2 weeks now. There is no word on the repair status. I have asked for a return and refund at this point as I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You would think it should be very simple as they already have the system back to provide a refund. Nope! They claim they needed to escalate the ticket and that someone will get back to me. Whats there to escalate, I am well within my rights to return and refund! Corsair has their system back! Now they are just stalling and saying, let me check on the status of your repair! Well *****, I dont care what the status of the repair is, I dont want your POS system! Gonna give them another 24 hours before I just file a charge back on my credit card against this company!

Definitely warning EVERYONE to stay away!

@mwinter77, Did you end up returning your system?

I am sorry that you intend on returning the system. I don't see there being an issue with moving forward with a refund. The escalations team assists with this.

If you'd like, go ahead and PM me your ticket# and I'll make sure they handle your case appropriately.

I am sorry that you intend on returning the system. I don't see there being an issue with moving forward with a refund. The escalations team assists with this.

If you'd like, go ahead and PM me your ticket# and I'll make sure they handle your case appropriately.

I have sent you the case number and RMA request. Its been 11 days (Requested on 6/10) and counting since I have requested for a refund. Corsair have had the system in their possession since June 2nd. How long do you think is an acceptable amount of time to refund a customer?

Day 12 and counting. Called the corsair one service phone number. Was told to talk to web store. Web store says that they cant do anything as they are only level 1 support and needs to wait for a level 2 that doesnt answer phones and only responds to tickets. Well, where is my response? Still waiting......

Maybe I should start a log and tracker of how many hours I have wasted talking to corsair via phone or email about this issue just to see how disgustingly staggering that number is!