Corsair Community

Random restarts, boot loops. Could my HX850 be dying?

So the backstory is that I've been having problems with my pc for about a month and a half now. The problem being random restarts and boot loops for about 5 - 10 loops and then back to normal for a while. It happens mostly under load but also during normal use.

I've tried everything from resocketing everything in the pc, a clean windows install, driver updates, disk checks, memtests, cpu and gpu benchmarks but nothing has helped me isolate a problem. Every test has completed perfectly so it seems that the restarts are completely random.

That brings my suspicion to the power supply or my motherboard.

While inspecting the psu I noticed this:

5A2IUhz.jpg

It looks like these 2 pins are a little darker than the others? Could that be a sign that the psu is failing or something like a bad connection? I'm not that knowledgeable about psu's and electricity so I'm not sure.

Should I replace the psu? Is it possible that my mobo is damaged because of this?

Specs:

Z370 AORUS Gaming K3

i7-8700K

Corsair Vengeance lpx 2x8 3200 ddr4

Gigabyte Aorus 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G

Corsair HX850

in that corner the two darker pins are the +12V supply to the motherboard. seems to show the contacts run a bit warm. in use you may be able to feel it if you touch the two wires close to the connector.

Look on the motherboard if the pins aren't oxidized or dirty.

Also check on the GPU connectors if everything is clean.

Do you use cable extensions?

depending on the models, they can look good but be pretty dodgy.. like bad quality connectors, wire section that's too thin, causing that kind of heating issue and voltage drop causing all sorts of troubles with time.

in that corner the two darker pins are the +12V supply to the motherboard. seems to show the contacts run a bit warm. in use you may be able to feel it if you touch the two wires close to the connector.

Look on the motherboard if the pins aren't oxidized or dirty.

Also check on the GPU connectors if everything is clean.

Do you use cable extensions?

depending on the models, they can look good but be pretty dodgy.. like bad quality connectors, wire section that's too thin, causing that kind of heating issue and voltage drop causing all sorts of troubles with time.

Thanks for answering!

No cable extensions in use here. Looking at the pins on the motherboard it seems they may be a little bit darker than the others, really little difference and difficult to see though. Everything else looks to be ok. I'm really stumped.

I would say it is highly likely. I had an HX650 that got to be 9 years old, and powered about 5 different builds of mine, and it it did exactly what you are describing to me as well. It took about 2 months to completely die. You appear to have a high end board, and it's power requirements will put a big demand on the PSU.