Corsair Community

CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 - MSI x570 Unify - 5900x Issue

Hi just wanted some help/advice, Just recently put system together

I have 4x8gb of CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 sticks

These are from my old system and never had issues even has them running at 3600 CL16

even though these are exact same models CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18

Each pair are different 2 pairs are Micron and the other two are Nanya maybe thats causing the issue or the system doesnt like 4 sticks but dont know unless all 4 used same chip

When I have just 2 sticks installed of the same chip dont have any issues and can run XMP but when have all 4 pairs even at stock the system randomly freezes I did also try them in different slots and combinations

So my conclusion is the system doesnt like 2 different chip types even though the RAM models are exactly the same

The reason why I have 2 saparate chips is I bought one pair later on as an upgrade

Going forward I guess I cant have all 4 of these working together ? unless someone knows any settings to try ?

or do I have to just buy 2x16gb sticks I have been reading and 2 sticks are better for the memory controller and buy corsair light enhancement kit to fill the other empty slots

Ideally want 3600mhz CL16 but only seem to find the following also dont want to going with another vendor prefer to stay within icue to control everything

VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 AMD Ryzen Memory Kit — Black

I do currenly have 2x8gb CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 running at 3600mhz CL16 19 19 39 and havent encountered any issues

Thanks

Edited by uscool

2 sticks used to be better until Zen3 where 4 sticks tends to perform better across the board (only a few % but still).

You'd have to buy a kit of 4 sticks to be sure they are matched.

That said, i red that running 4 single rank sticks vs 2 dual rank was pretty much identical for Zen3. That's worth verifying, because it's easier to find sets of two 16gb sticks. And besides some expensive OC models, these are almost universally dual rank.

Edit : and yes, running two sets of sticks with different chips will make a mess. The primary timings are identical, the secondary almost never are, so you get all sorts of bugs and crashes.

2 sticks used to be better until Zen3 where 4 sticks tends to perform better across the board (only a few % but still).

You'd have to buy a kit of 4 sticks to be sure they are matched.

That said, i red that running 4 single rank sticks vs 2 dual rank was pretty much identical for Zen3. That's worth verifying, because it's easier to find sets of two 16gb sticks. And besides some expensive OC models, these are almost universally dual rank.

Edit : and yes, running two sets of sticks with different chips will make a mess. The primary timings are identical, the secondary almost never are, so you get all sorts of bugs and crashes.

Thanks for replying I'm leaning towards the 2x16gb because they are cheaper and should be dual rank and better for IMC i doubt I will need more than 32gb by that time will probably be looking at ddr5 generation

For looks wise I can just fill the other 2 slots with lighting kit

Thanks again

• Corsair Employees
Your issue is mixing memory kits. We only validate and guarantee that the memory will work in the configuration, and with the matching module, that they are sold as due to the fact that you can indeed get a different version number indicating completely different ICs were used. Mixing them as you have found can cause stability issues and prevent the kits from working as intended. It is our recommendation, and best practice, to purchase a single kit at the capacity and speed you wish to have instead of mixing two kits together.

Your issue is mixing memory kits. We only validate and guarantee that the memory will work in the configuration, and with the matching module, that they are sold as due to the fact that you can indeed get a different version number indicating completely different ICs were used. Mixing them as you have found can cause stability issues and prevent the kits from working as intended. It is our recommendation, and best practice, to purchase a single kit at the capacity and speed you wish to have instead of mixing two kits together.

Hi, what would be the best out of these ?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18

VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18

I read about single rank and dual ranks and dies

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Hi, what would be the best out of these ?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18

VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18

I read about single rank and dual ranks and dies

Thanks

Would need the actual part number to compare kits. As for dual vs single rank we do not advertise that information nor do we provide it publicly.

• 8 months later...