Corsair Community

Cables for New RM850x

tnunan

I seems that the new version of the RM850x has 3 4+4-pin CPU cables and only 2 2+6-pin GPU cables.

Could someone confirm whether this is the case or not and give a reason for the change if it is true, since I have been unable to find a MB that actually needs 3 CPU power cables but there are GPUs that need 3 GPU power cables?

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't got the PSU yet but have seen that this is the case in a couple of reviews and on looking at the product page as well. I was wanting to get confirmation/denial/reasoning before possibly going ahead with a purchase.

Product page

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020200-NA

the manual here https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_RMx_Series_2021_QSG_AA.pdf

It states that you have two pig tail cables (two cables with two 6+2 pin on each, 4 connexions total) for PCIE, not just two 6+2 pin.

GPUs that require 3 cables are fine running on two pigtail cables, connected to the 3 PCIE connexions.

going with 3 single cables looks much neater though, but that would require buying separate cables, even if you went with the RMX1000. this one has 3 pigtail cables.. same cable clutter.

So the RM850x is fine, but in the end you may still want to replace the PCIE cables if looks matter :)

• Corsair Employees
I seems that the new version of the RM850x has 3 4+4-pin CPU cables and only 2 2+6-pin GPU cables.

Could someone confirm whether this is the case or not and give a reason for the change if it is true, since I have been unable to find a MB that actually needs 3 CPU power cables but there are GPUs that need 3 GPU power cables?

There are GPUs that require 3 PCIe connectors. Not need 3 PCIe cables.

The newest RMx has six PCIe connectors.

The reason for the three EPS12V is because Nvidia originally stated that they would be adapting 2x EPS12V to 12-pin for the Ampere FE cards. Then, at the last minute, changed that to 2x PCIe to 12-pin. By then it was too late to change the RMx cable configuration.

If ever you need different/additional cables, simply contact Corsair tech support and request a cable.