Corsair Community

Should I REALLY not go hard for doing this the first time?

lncabin

I figure I'd rather get what I want from the get go, spend the money, do it right.

Don't really want to regret spending a bunch of money and not end up liking it just because I was trying to play it safe.

Is it really that big of a deal, that I seem to read about a bunch, to not do hard tube especially for your first time?

I have the purchasing means to buy the proper tools and general-tool-knowledge-handiness that I may need to cut and bend hard line properly.

Just not sure about plumbing.

I think that I'd feel worse about going soft-tube, and it works, but I'd wish I done hard than if I went hard-tube but fried my graphics card because of a leak.

Edited by lncabin

One thing to do is watch some youtube videos on how to bend hard tubing. There are various techniques for doing it, as well as some things to be mindful of. Also purchase extra tubes if the budget allows. Mistakes can, and will happen, even to seasoned pros who have been doing it for years.

If you decide to start with soft tubing, there is nothing preventing you from switching to hard tubing in the future. The only extra purchases are the fixtures for hard tubing, and the tubes themselves. The various other hardware will work regardless of how the liquid is delivered to them.

Also, leak test before you start the computer. Regardless of hard or soft tubing. Run the pump for at least several hours with the 24-pin connector (or better yet, all of the power connectors) disconnected. If it leaks, let everything dry out, fix the leaks, then repeat until the system does not leak. Nothing in the system will be damaged if no power is being delivered to the system.

Edited by Latharion

Unfortunately the fittings themselves are a definite expense and hardline and soft tube compression will be incompatible. If you are reasonably handy with things, I don’t see why you can’t start with hardline. It does require you to be more exacting in the initial construction process and it may not be ideal if you like to pull your hardware out on a regular basis. If you have your heart set on clear tubing, I would push you toward hardline now.

You are going to make mistakes on the bending, but that is not a problem. The tubing is relatively cheap and the dry fitting straightforward. The more difficult aspects are those seemingly simply things like draining or pathways that have a dozen options with soft but more elusive solutions with hard. The case you are working in may factor as well. My first was a dual GPU hardline nightmare in a medium sized case. I would not wish that on anyone for their first time. Larger cases with clear and obvious reservoir placements and space will be easier.

^^ this.

go hard or go home... lol

seriously though. my first custom loop was a hardline dual looped 1000d.. i read lots.. watched lots and figured if not doing bends then its no different to soft line. so i accounted for a no bend build as a fall back, but i found making bends to be much easier than the internetz wanted me to believe.. same with petg vs acrylic.. myths.. both are easy imho. acrylic is my tube of choice. just need a fine tooth 'junior' hack saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JiF2yqyl.jpg

then i stared to play with more complex bends

http://i.imgur.com/uIQbkrUl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RIA9HuQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TIjQxSPl.jpg

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180073https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180073

a lot of people here post their first custom loop builds with hard tubing and to be honest they are usually all pretty decent :)

unless you have two left hands or are all thumbs, you can totally start with hard tubing.

Just don't go overcomplicated for the first one. The one bend per tube rule is good to start with, and maybe try later on more complicated runs like Zotty illustrated.

Some other classics would be the KISS principle : keep it stupid simple, or.. measure twice, cut once, you know them all :)

One thing that bothered me : acrylic is super hard to bend.. pretty much all the tutorials and videos i saw, people bend them with the heat gun set to 270 - 280°C.. it takes ages to soften. I guess it's good advice to avoid people overheating the tubes na bubbling them.. but i found it way easier to do my bends with the gun at 340.

So don't hesitate to experiment on your own. the ideal temperature will vary depending on the distance you keep the tube from the gun, how you move it etc.. and we get back to C-attack's advice.. if you need 1m of tube, order 2 or 3. there will be failures, and when you finish your last tube, you may find out you would maybe like to redo the first ones better. Welcome to the world of endless tinkering

How much time are you going to spend showing off the setup and how much time using it to keep the components cool while gaming, etc? I mean, it's great that people have time to do the hard line thing but I put in soft tubing quick and easy and then just use my system ever since.

How much time are you going to spend showing off the setup and how much time using it to keep the components cool while gaming, etc? I mean, it's great that people have time to do the hard line thing but I put in soft tubing quick and easy and then just use my system ever since.

if not doing bends hardline is no different/harder/longer to do than softline.

I know this as i have both in the same build.. both have pro's and cons.

My build have very short runs. like 4 small tubes for 2 blocks, 3 rads and a pump. the rest is mounted in a way that i only need fittings to connect components together.. doesn't look that much different between hard and soft tubing.

but...

Acrylic is way clearer than flexible tubing :)

Functionally identical, i gained 10L/h going hard tubing, yay... but having a build that makes you smile when you look at it is a nice thing too.

If you don't care, go soft tubing by all means. it's not as if it was difficult to convert to hard tubing later if you so desire :)

Why do people think, hardline is the end-all-be-all of watercooling? Let's be honest: it's absolutely impractical and just looks somewhat fancy, though tbh all loops look the same anyways unless it's something unusual like copper or carbon tubing.

If you're unsure just go with softline. EPDM tubes or any clear tubing with smart routing looks just as clean and decent as any basic bitch hardline build.

well, acrylic is clearer, and straight.. and that's about it for the advantages :p

unless you want to have long straight runs that are impossible to do with softline (like when using a distro plate, it's all down to personal preference.

You mention "smart routing". that's where people think hardline magically makes builds look better, because they compare the worst softline ones with tubes hanging every which way, to pro builds with acrylic, RGB galore and fancy lighting.

As for PETG, it should be reserved for plastic bottles... this thing is an ungodly abomination for watercooling.