Corsair Community

Bug: Plugin for ASUS Aura Sync installs incorrect version

Hi,

A lot of people have been having issues with Corsair's plugin for ASUS's Aura Sync, causing the RAM to not show up in ASUS's ARMOURY CRATE.

There is a previous workaround thread on reddit, but it requires a specific installation order for it to work. See below for a faster workaround.

I looked into the issue, and it seems that the problem is caused by the following:

• ASUS's has a host process named lightingservice.exe, which is supposed to load the plugin
  • Corsair's installer installs a 32-bit and 64-bits version of the plugin.
  • ASUS's process is 32-bits, and corsair's installer only registers the 64-bits version.
  • Thus, ASUS's lightingservice fails to load the corsair plugin because 32-bit processes cannot load 64-bit libraries.

Perhaps the installer is supposed to detect if ASUS is having a 32-bit or 64-bit host process, or perhaps it is supposed to register both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the DLL. Either way, ****'s broken.

The proper behavior would be for the installer to configure both the 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.

This behavior is still in the current version of "Corsair RGB MEMORY plugin for ASUS Aura Sync"

Workaround:

• open regedit
  • Browse to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{099B9EEB-5BBA-435C-A89E-212FEEEFA394}\InprocServer32
  • Change to x86 version
  • Browse to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{099B9EEB-5BBA-435C-A89E-212FEEEFA394}\InprocServer32
  • Change to x86 version

Edited by echelonIV

Hi,

A lot of people have been having issues with Corsair's plugin for ASUS's Aura Sync, causing the RAM to not show up in ASUS's ARMOURY CRATE.

There is a previous workaround thread on reddit, but it requires a specific installation order for it to work. See below for a faster workaround.

I looked into the issue, and it seems that the problem is caused by the following:

• ASUS's has a host process named lightingservice.exe, which is supposed to load the plugin
  • Corsair's installer installs a 32-bit and 64-bits version of the plugin.
  • ASUS's process is 32-bits, and corsair's installer only registers the 64-bits version.
  • Thus, ASUS's lightingservice fails to load the corsair plugin because 32-bit processes cannot load 64-bit libraries.

Perhaps the installer is supposed to detect if ASUS is having a 32-bit or 64-bit host process, or perhaps it is supposed to register both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the DLL. Either way, ****'s broken.

The proper behavior would be for the installer to configure both the 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.

This behavior is still in the current version of "Corsair RGB MEMORY plugin for ASUS Aura Sync"

Workaround:

• open regedit
  • Browse to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{099B9EEB-5BBA-435C-A89E-212FEEEFA394}\InprocServer32
  • Change to x86 version
  • Browse to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{099B9EEB-5BBA-435C-A89E-212FEEEFA394}\InprocServer32
  • Change to x86 version

Thanks for this post, I'm sure it will help a lot of users!

Just a question... is the plugin mandatory to be installed or does it get installed automatically by iCue?

I've recently installed Windows from scratch, then installed Armoury Crate (because Aura does no longer work with latest Windows updates) and iCue but didn't install the plugin standalone.

I suspect the reason why Aura seems not to work anymore could be in me not installing the plugin...

Baio

• 3 weeks later...