Corsair Community

advice please on a cooling solution

quatraine

hi all i have a 10850k cpu and a rtx3080 they are housed in a corsair 5000x case atm i have a h100x cooler but in many games i have noticed the temps are very high. it is running at 5.0 ghz overclock. does anyone have a similer setup but with the h150 elite cappeix cooler . Because i think that would be a better setup .

would love to receive members comments. ty

You need to look at your coolant delta (rise in H100i Temp) during a CPU only test and again with gaming. That is the value to compare to another cooler. End CPU temp is affected by too many other variables from voltage to case temperature. I would probably recommend a 360mm for you automatically, but you should get an idea of the difference in temperature so you can make your own evaluation. There are no miracles in cooling and you can't turn a 90C CPU into a 70C CPU by changing a working cooler.

There are too many variable and not enough information for us to give you an intelligent response here.

You say "the temps are high" ... which temps? And what are they?

What is your vCore? (vCPU in iCUE).

How are your fans configured? It's not uncommon for folks to have an installation where GPU waste heat winds up going through the radiator. This increases radiator temps which then have a corresponding increase in CPU temps. This is easily remedied by optimizing your fans.

it depends on your overclock, quite massively actually. even on custom loop watercooling you can get to these temps very easily.

If your Vcore or the LLC is set a bit agressively, you won't see much improvement by going to a 360 rad.

maybe that's a tad high. of course all CPUs are a bit different but on my 10900 intel XTU only raises Vcore to 1.3V (adaptive) on 5ghz, and that's already giving me 220W and 80° peak on custom loop with cinebench.

I guess it makes sense you almost throttled on Origins if you are on fixed 1.35

when i got the pc it had 2 settings in the bios. one for overclock and the other to run the asus maximus xii hero at asus stock settings. using the asus setup my pc stays at 4.8 and voltage is lower at 1.15 etc. so maybe on this board with this cpu its best to run a 4.8 for stability . i do not know if changing to the h1501 capellix would help tbh based on members comments. tbh i just want a stable pc

There are numerous reviews of various 360mm and 240mm radiators with comparisons to other sizes. The benefit of using a larger radiator is you get slightly better cooling and usually with less required fan speed/noise.

The second part is your normal usage. If you use your PC mostly for gaming/web/music and most normal applications, then you are not going to see a lot of CPU wattage. Most of my games run under a 100W on 10900K at 5.2x10. On the other hand, if you are doing renders/encoding or other professional work loads for long stretches at a time, the wattage goes up and so does the duration. In that circumstance I would recommend the largest radiator you can fit.

but yes it is a gaming pc primarily. .tbh apart from the cooling issue the build itself is very good. love the msi rtx3080 suprim x its very good . it is paired with a samsung 970 evo plus 2tb m2 so not speed issues at all . and 32gb ddr4 ram at 3200

Hmm... maybe we are looking at this the wrong way for you. A H100x is a non-software AIO. Your fans are probably on the MB and run a lot, in accordance with CPU temp which is going to be all over the place.

A H150i Elite is a 360mm AIO that comes with a 6 fan PWM/RGB controller and 3 ML-Elite 8 LED fans. Those fans are match for the SP-Elite 8 LED fans that come with the newer cases. So you gain a slight cooling improvement (maybe 2-3C), but do so at lower fans speeds under your direct control. You also gain a 6 port PWM fan controller that is integrated into the CUE software for desktop control and 6 RGB ports on the other side. Since most 5000x owners are going to have more than 6 RGB fans, this helps too. That is a lot more upside than a simple -2C cooling, but you need to decide what is important to you.

If you have the ability to alter the environment temp (airflow panels, changing case placement in the room), using fans to direct waste heat away from the case), all those things may have a larger impact than 240 vs 360. However, making significant changes usually requires all of the above. You pull back 1C here and 2C there and eventually you claw back the 5C you were looking for. Not always so easy.

the h150i elite would if fitted end up having 7 fans under its control under the icue master control. 3 at the front 3 in the rad at the top and 1 at the rear . so maybe that and using the airflow panels may stabilise the system at a 5.0ghz oc

well atm i only have to access firefox and maybe a game and temps will jump to 61-72 c . when i first got this pc in march i ran ac origins not realising that it would use all threads and noticed the top glass panel of the case was very hot it was running at 88 -90 c .the comment from the firm that built the pc was that these chips run hot normally but that temps were in the safe limits.tbh im not convinced as over time to run hot would wear out the cpu and cooler.they linked direct to my pc and they setup AI suite 3 which is an asus program and setup a fan curve for the h100x cooler seems to help. just waiting for the 5000d cooler panels to see if they help .ordered the the top and front ones.

I think you should be looking at your BIOS CPU settings. No cooling system can save you from overly high voltage. I can make a 10900K hit the limit with a misplaced setting, regardless of whether or not I have a triple 360 external cooling system. The cooler will help remove heat from the system, but it cannot prevent the CPU from getting hot in the first place.

Valhalla is not an overly demanding game on hardware, so this suggests something else is going on. I use less than 100W on the CPU in that game and near maximum settings on a 10900K with a high overclock. Average CPU temps for a session are less than 50C in warm room.

Idle CPU temp can change quite a bit depending on BIOS settings, Windows power plan, and background service and programs. CUE itself tends to keep cores active, especially if using the Intel TVB and per core clocking.

1.30-1.35v might be a bit high for standard 4.9x10/5.3x1 configurations, but it is not absurdly high by any means. I run at least 1.40v for my 5.2 overclock and 1.45v if on adaptive voltage. My 10900K is delidded so that is a factor, but even at those voltages my peak temps for Valhalla will be in the 60s and average temps in the 46-49C range depending on room temp. At 5.2x10 manual 1.40v, I still use less than 90W on the CPU. This should be no problem for the 360mm AIO and coolant rise should be mild at worst. I am not sure how to explain all the factors you are seeing.

ty very much for your comments . i have ordered those panels as a test and i agree that a few alterations may indeed get a better result .

I doubt the panels will make much of a difference, 2 maybe 3 degrees tops. I don't think you mention once how your fans are configured. The best configuration I've come up with in my system is 5 intake 360 fans, (3 front, 2 side) with an exhausting 360 radiator at the top and one exhaust fan out back.

Unfortunately the only game I play is CODCW, but with ultra settings and a framerate of ~120, my max gpu temp is about 63C and cpu package of maybe 50C. My H150i liquid cooler runs between 31C at idle to 38C while gaming. My room temp is a 72F.

I did use Asu's AI Suite 3 to set up my fans and have a positive pressure configuration( easy to see as some heat is being exhausted below the gpu where there isn't even a fan)

One of my initial setups had the radiator intaking from the front, despite Corsair employees recommending this setup, I would NOT recommend it.