Corsair Community

Push/Pull on H150i Elite Cappelix and Fan RPMs with CoCo

Ca1ibos

My H150i will be cooling a R9 5900x and as you may be aware these Zen 3 CPU's dynamicaly boost based on the Thermal limits which is why many people get concerned that they've done something wrong when they see their CPU temps getting close to 90ºc. This is actually by design.

Silicon Lottery permitting every degree counts to allow maximum boost so I want to do Push/Pull on my H150i 360mm Rad. I'll have QL120's on the visible side of the rad and don't want to waste the ML120's on the non visible side and will be utilising those 3x ML120's in a Media Server Build instead.

I have spare corsair non LED High static pressure fans from previous AIO's but the fan RPM's don't match the QL120's. With 3x QL120's and 3 of these older higher RPM rad fans attached to the Commander Core of the Elite Cappellix, can I individually control the fan RPM's of the non QL120 fans to match the RPM's of the QL120's for a given fan curve?

Assuming you are still planning on Commander Core and Commander Pro, you can burn 6 headers on either for the push-pull radiator. Each port is individually controllable and of course they can be set to specific fan curves in groups. No problem setting three on one side to Profile A and the other 3 to Profile B.

The other option is to offload some to a powered PWM repeater hub. This is what I do with my XR7 in the side wall. I tend to move a lot of different fans in and out for testing on that one. The PWM hub forces them all into the same speed since the Commander Pro uses RPM as the control and not PWM %.

Assuming you are still planning on Commander Core and Commander Pro, you can burn 6 headers on either for the push-pull radiator. Each port is individually controllable and of course they can be set to specific fan curves in groups. No problem setting three on one side to Profile A and the other 3 to Profile B.

The other option is to offload some to a powered PWM repeater hub. This is what I do with my XR7 in the side wall. I tend to move a lot of different fans in and out for testing on that one. The PWM hub forces them all into the same speed since the Commander Pro uses RPM as the control and not PWM %.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding RPM v PWM. If CoPro uses RPM would I be best served by running the Rad fans off the CoPro and the chassis fans of the CoCo? ie. CoPro fan curve based off water temp and the max rpm of my custom curve being the max RPM of the QL120's as opposed to the max RPM of the old non led rad fans.

Still 'asking' rather than 'doing' btw because for a few home/family related reasons I can't finish the build yet. Can't seem to make any free time at the moment. certainly not enough to get the build done and I hate starting things and leaving them half finished for god knows how long.

If you have the headers to spare (which I think you do), you can afford to use single fan per header connections on the Commander Core. I thought I would mention the PWM hub + Commander Pro "equalization" in case it came up down the road or in another context. That's not quite on box information.

In this instance, I believe you are better off using the Com Core for the radiator fans. The coolant temp from the AIO is a native sensor on that device only. While the Commander Pro can read the coolant temp from the Com Core while the software is active, it will loose that data when it is not and fan control will either max or stay fixed at the last known setting. There is a workaround for this too, by using a temp probe from the Commander to measure radiator exhaust temp. That will mirror coolant temp and can serve as a good fan control option. However, at this point I can't see any reason why you should not use the Commander Core for the 6 fan push-pull and use the Commander Pro for the rest.