Corsair Community

vs1gbkit400 and A8N-SLI memory error

dweezilz

I have 1GB of twin 512meg sticks & the Asus A8N-SLI. When I put one stick in each of the dual channel slots, I get 'system memory failure'. Each stick on it's own in slot B1 works just fine. I just saw on the Asus site & on the chart in the manual, that the VS512MB400 is only compatable with 1 stick or 4 but not dual channel 2 sticks. How can that be?? I've seen others say they work just fine (and a few who said they didn't). I'm assuming those are the same sticks as are included in the 1GB kit correct? Anyway, what is the reason for these sticks to not work in this motherboard together? That seems very strange. I wish I had the manual before I wasted $100 on these. Can I exchange them with Corsair? ZipZoomFly won't do it.

What memory sticks do you recommend with this board without spending $200 plus?

Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employees
Please try and set the Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts and see if it will run in dual channel. But if the modules will run one at a time but not when in dual channel that would suggest a power or CPU problem.

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts and see if it will run in dual channel. But if the modules will run one at a time but not when in dual channel that would suggest a power or CPU problem.

ok. I"ll give that a try. So even though right in the manual for the motherboard it indicates that these memory sticks won't work in dual channel mode & will only work one at a time, it still indicates a CPU issue or power issue & they should work? Both are new as well. I'm wondering if there is some tollerance level where sometimes these sticks will work & sometimes they won't so Asus just says they won't? Just seems strange they say it won't work & for me it doesn't. I may just sell these & get the more expesnive ones.

I'll let ya know about the voltage.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Do you have another system you can test the memory with? And no I think the manual is in error, especially since they also list them with 4 modules. How can the system run with 4 modules but not with 2? That makes absolutely no sense. P.S. I have this exact configuration running at my home with no problems.

Do you have another system you can test the memory with? And no I think the manual is in error, especially since they also list them with 4 modules. How can the system run with 4 modules but not with 2? That makes absolutely no sense. P.S. I have this exact configuration running at my home with no problems.

Well, I went into the 'overclocking' section in the bios & set DDR to 2.7 volts. It still won't work. The only other system I have which isn't put together is my old Asus A7N8X deluxe with Athon XP. I do have a 420 watt Antec power supply that I could test with. Is there an easy way to test the CPU & Power supply that you recommend?

I just tested with my 420 watt antec PS and it still won't work. So it's down to the CPU or some other unknown problem... :(:

So you are saying you are also using the double sided Value Select & the A8N-SLI & it works? I'm starting to think it's a hit or miss thing. I already returned the MB once & I REALLY don't want to wait 3 weeks to return the CPU only to find it still won't work.

Any other ideas? The only other memory I have is PC2700's which are 333.

• Corsair Employees

dweezilz

If you have not done so please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing. If you have done that and both pass with no problem, then that would suggest a power or CPU problem, and if you have the system runnning in SLI Mode you will need to use an ATX 2.0 Compliant PSU other wise it may not be stable. But I am only using one Video card and a Enneramx 500 Watt PSU AXT 1.3 at home so I know it will work, but I did try it with 2 Video Crads and it was not stable with the PSU I have.

I ran the test. I forgot & ran it with both sticks in instead of one at a time, however Im guessing that's only a problem if an error pops up since you wouldn't know which stick got the error. In this case however, after 3 passes, I have no errors. I called AMD & they said they would exchange the processor but they have had situations like mine where it turned out to be compatability. They have however seen memory controllers have issues on their Athlons 64's.

I'm just going with you guys & assume that they are compatitble & the issue is the CPU. I have an RMA # & I'll report back in a couple weeks when I get a new one back. What a DRAG!! 4 weeks without my PC & counting!

Thanks for the help.

-Todd

• Corsair Employees
I would encourage you to get a new PSU as soon as you can like PC Power and Cooling or an Ennermax that is ATX 2.0 compliant as well. But please let me know how you make out. In addition, please check that you have the latest bios and I would try and reset the bios and load setup/optimized defaults and set the settings again to make sure its not a bios issue.

I would encourage you to get a new PSU as soon as you can like PC Power and Cooling or an Ennermax that is ATX 2.0 compliant as well. But please let me know how you make out. In addition, please check that you have the latest bios and I would try and reset the bios and load setup/optimized defaults and set the settings again to make sure its not a bios issue.

Well, I'm getting a new CPU. Not sure why I'd get a new PSU. The one I have is a brand new Ultra x-connect 500 which is ATX 2.0 compliant & an excellent unit. There hasn't been anything at all to indicate it is a problem. I tested the system with my antech power supply too & still had the issue. Were you thinking CPU but said PSU by accident??

I do have the latest bios 1007 & have reset to defaults several times, then set the correct settings. I think that is all taken care of including the power supply so all that is left is the CPU. I will let you know when the new one arrives. If it still doesn't work, I'm not gonna be a happy camper! :o:

-Todd

• Corsair Employees
I said PSU because I was not sure about your PSU, but I also suggested the CPU if you read back thru what I posted. I was only suggesting you check that it is ATX 2.0 Compliant.

ahh..ok. Yeah I read it as, get a new PSU which I really didn't need. It's fine. Yep I caught that you said the CPU could be the issue (hense I said I really didn't want to have to return it).

Anyway, the CPU is on it's way back & I'll report the results when the new one arrives.

Again, thanks for the help.

Archived