Corsair Community

New Corsair Build

Hey folks, new to these boards and joined due to the fact that i'm planning a new build, which will be a Corsair White, MSI, 10850k Build.

So basically i'm planning a build using the 5000X RGB, H150i ELITE CAPELLIX, and an additional 4 SP120 RGB Elite fans since that is what's included in the 5000X.

So here is my question(s). The plan is to mount H150i on top and the additional 4 fans on the side and back. Now, since the front and side fans are the same I should be able to hook all 6 up to the case mounted RGB and PWM connectors, correct?

The rear fan would be the odd man out, so to speak, so would I be able to connect that rear fan to the commander core from the H150i? Will the ML120 and SP120 Elite fans work together?

Also, for this setup, would 2 USB headers be enough or will I need additional splitters?

And lastly, how easy is it to get iCUE to play nicely with MSI Mystic Lights?

EDIT: I also just thought of something. Do I put the H150i on top with the fans pushing, or on the side with the fans pulling? I am thinking that if on top with fans pushing that would be an exhaust and the fans would be pushing hot air from inside the case thru the rad. But on the side, with fans pulling, fresh ambient air will be pulled thru the rad. Would there be any noticeable difference in CPU temps?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Marty Z

Am I to understand that absolutely no one on this board is able to answer my questions?

This is a quiet neglected part of the forum. Hardly anyone posts in here anymore and besides I think this subforum might be for finished builds not about asking questions for 'yet to be' builds.

That might be why you haven't had any replies yet.

If you haven't already, re-post this in the 'Cooling' subforum

• Administrators
This is a quiet neglected part of the forum. Hardly anyone posts in here anymore and besides I think this subforum might be for finished builds not about asking questions for 'yet to be' builds.

That might be why you haven't had any replies yet.

If you haven't already, re-post this in the 'Cooling' subforum

Correct, that section's just for finished builds. I've moved the thread to Cooling.

The plan is to mount H150i on top and the additional 4 fans on the side and back. Now, since the front and side fans are the same I should be able to hook all 6 up to the case mounted RGB and PWM connectors, correct?

The rear fan would be the odd man out, so to speak, so would I be able to connect that rear fan to the commander core from the H150i? Will the ML120 and SP120 Elite fans work together?

The ML-Elite and SP-Elite that comes with the case are both 8 LED center hub fans. They are an exact match for RGB lighting and can be used interchangeable on the same or different controllers. Technically, the fan itself is different but that is not a concern for the lighting.

It seems like you will have 10 fans and logical split between controllers is 6 + 4. The Commander Core that comes with the AIO can take up to 6 PWM for speed control and also up to 6 for RGB. You probably want that for the back as to keep the top radiator fans on native fan controller. You will need to use the other Lighting Node Core that comes with the case for the other 6 RGB plugs.

I do not recommend splitters for 10 fans on one Commander Core. I was OK with this in the past for the Commander Pro and did so myself for years. It eventually wore out the power on several of the headers. Whether there is a direct connection or not, the Commander Core is essential for the H150i Elite to function. If you blow the Com Core, the pump will not work. That reason alone is enough not to push too hard on capacity. One possible solution is to use a SATA powered PWM repeater hub to offload some of the fan motor current. That little circuit uses 1 PWM header from the Com Core and can take from 4-10 fans that will all run the same speed. These come in different sizes and from different manufacturers, but you should have one from Corsair included on the 5000 case. Use it. No reason to run the side x 3 or front x 3 at different speeds. Those or even the top 3 on the radiator can go on the PWM hub.

Also, for this setup, would 2 USB headers be enough or will I need additional splitters?

Commander Core need 1. Lighting Node Core needs 1. That should be it, so you are OK. If things change, make sure to get some type of powered USB 2 hub. Sometimes unpowered splitters work. Sometimes they don't.

And lastly, how easy is it to get iCUE to play nicely with MSI Mystic Lights?

All out of good news here. No idea on this one. I think there is an MSI plugin in development, but since I don't have one I am unsure of its effectiveness.

EDIT: I also just thought of something. Do I put the H150i on top with the fans pushing, or on the side with the fans pulling? I am thinking that if on top with fans pushing that would be an exhaust and the fans would be pushing hot air from inside the case thru the rad. But on the side, with fans pulling, fresh ambient air will be pulled thru the rad. Would there be any noticeable difference in CPU temps?

The difficult with top exhaust is you will be both running GPU waste heat through it as well as heating up that part of the case. This raises the baseline ambient temp for the radiator and artificially boosts your baseline coolant level. As coolant temp is minimum CPU temp, you take a penalty. However, that does not mean other locations are automatically better. I don't see your GPU listed, but more GPU watts equals more heat. Since the 5000 series has both the front and side option, I would lean toward that to physically remove the radiator from the heat zone. However, there is usually a catch.

There is a 5000 series build thread going where you might find a lot more information and direct experience. I have not built in this case.

Zotty's Corsair 5000x FAQ Guide

This is great info, thanks. I was not planning on putting splitters on the commander core from the H150i, I was just asking IF I need any additional splitters. My plan is to put the intake fans on 1 hub and exhaust on another. So if I top mount the H150i then the commander core will have 4 fans on it. If I side mount the H150i then I will have 6 fans on the commander core, but no more then that.

I did change my mind on the MB, probably going with the ASUS Z590 ROG Maximus XIII Hero. The graphics card that I have on hand is a EVGA RTX3070 XC3. But is I can get my hands on a RTX 3080 TI when it comes out, then that is what I will be using.

Still putting my build list together. Don't know yet what will happen with alder lake coming out.

For RGB wiring, you are completely covered no matter where you decide to put the radiator. You have a capacity of 12 (2 controller x 6 RGB ports each). Each controller acts like 1 lighting group, so put groups fans the way you want them to lighting up. That probably means front/side x 6 and top x 3 + 1 rear for almost all set-ups.

MB is fine and you will have two ports on that one too.

All the 3000 series GPUs produce enough heat to make a difference. I would go for front or side mount, but I think the people in the 5000x thread will have more specific suggestions and information.

• 2 weeks later...