Corsair Community

H150i+ML+LL fans settings

I just set up a new case with icue H150i, ML fans and LL fans. They are all connected via the bundle commander core that came with H150i.

In my icue software, it doesn't show number of fans to config their type (see attached pic).

Such as,

Fan 1 2 3 = ML

Fan 4 5 6 = LL

So why is that?

And another question on cooling page, when I click on each cooling preset not thing happens. Quiet or Balance or Extreme ... every fans rpm still run the same.

Do I have to click each fans to select profile?

In older corsair link software, I can just right click taskbar icon and change preset easily.

12790BF8-90F1-4867-8B43-4BC1C4911EB1.jpeg.7e88a28a7f0faba932b5b3de5c31538e.jpeg

AAF1254A-6695-4751-947D-A87B3D586C54.jpeg.941285c79fe44deb6e7b5bc49540b27f.jpeg

D7DBF86C-772A-4E74-842D-FE682B84F4E6.jpeg.64d108e0fe8ab99f84e722f3d3b08291.jpeg

Edited by airbusdriver

I guess the Commander CORE is meant to be used with the same type of fans on all ports,

that's why there's no setting for individual fans, kind of "all or nothing".

I do have a Commander CORE as well, I don't have a problem though as I bought

the same fans (ML Pro RGB) that came with the H150i EC bundle.

You might have a chance with requesting a feature so set all attached fan types individually,

but I wouldn't hope for that to happen too much as Corsair has always been seriously restrictive about using their stuff.

Edited by FeuerSturm

I guess the Commander CORE is meant to be used with the same type of fans on all ports,

that's why there's no setting for individual fans, kind of "all or nothing".

I do have a Commander CORE as well, I don't have a problem though as I bought

the same fans (ML Pro RGB) that came with the H150i EC bundle.

You might have a chance with requesting a feature so set all attached fan types individually,

but I wouldn't hope for that to happen too much as Corsair has always been seriously restrictive about using their stuff.

I see. So the Node Core is better than our Commander Core.

Much appreciated for the response.

The Commander Core has an auto detect feature on both the RGB and PWM side. However, you can override it in the lighting setup tab and tell it “QL x 4” or whatever is appropriate. That makes it like every other lighting controller. 1 fan type (LED count base number) x number of fans to generate the LED string. Mixing fans is always going to require some compromise if they have different LED geometries. Your LL have a ring. The ML don’t. You are going to want LLx6.

Get off the quiet/balanced/extreme presets. You can’t see what it’s doing and can’t make adjustments. Start with the the three radiator fans. Performance + to make a new curve. In the corner of the graph are three shape tools that match the Q/B/E presets. Pick one and it will layout on the graph. Now you can see and tweak what it’s doing. Everyone has different room/case temp baselines and so everyone needs their own temperature/fan speed baseline. Make sure you change the sensor control variable to H150i Elite Temp (coolant temp). CPU temp is the wrong choice.

For the other case fans you can run them on the same curve to balance airflow or make different versions. Coolant temp is still a good control variable, but mb temp or gpu temp can work. Stay off cpu temp. It has no relation to what you are trying to accomplish and is way too dynamic to be useful.

The Commander Core has an auto detect feature on both the RGB and PWM side. However, you can override it in the lighting setup tab and tell it “QL x 4” or whatever is appropriate. That makes it like every other lighting controller. 1 fan type (LED count base number) x number of fans to generate the LED string. Mixing fans is always going to require some compromise if they have different LED geometries. Your LL have a ring. The ML don’t. You are going to want LLx6.

Get off the quiet/balanced/extreme presets. You can’t see what it’s doing and can’t make adjustments. Start with the the three radiator fans. Performance + to make a new curve. In the corner of the graph are three shape tools that match the Q/B/E presets. Pick one and it will layout on the graph. Now you can see and tweak what it’s doing. Everyone has different room/case temp baselines and so everyone needs their own temperature/fan speed baseline. Make sure you change the sensor control variable to H150i Elite Temp (coolant temp). CPU temp is the wrong choice.

For the other case fans you can run them on the same curve to balance airflow or make different versions. Coolant temp is still a good control variable, but mb temp or gpu temp can work. Stay off cpu temp. It has no relation to what you are trying to accomplish and is way too dynamic to be useful.

Thanks for the tips. I understand it now. I'll create custom curve for each fan as you suggested.

But I still don't get it. What's the point of having preset there if we can't select it?

Not quite intuitive software aren't they, corsair?

As for rgb, I probably need to buy 3 more ML to do push-pull config on top to complete the setup.

But only problem is ML set doesn't come in white and doesn't bundle with a Node Core. The node pro that came with LL sucks, too many wiring.

I guess I have to wait until Corsair put out ML white set with a node core. I'm not holding my breathe though.

They should have sell H150i with 6 ML as an option in the first place.

What's happen in iCUE software if we use both Commander Core and Node Core at the same time? Can we control them separately?

Edited by airbusdriver

The presets for the Commander Core do work, but the problem is what do you use as the default control variable. Most people will be using it as part of the their Elite AIO package, so coolant temp would be a good choice. However, there is no requirement that you use the AIO and a Commander Core can function as a combo PWM/RGB controller without the special cable on the end. The Commander Pro has the same issue but uses CPU temp as the default with a scale made for coolant temps. It causes all three presets to effectively max the fans at the desktop level until you get off them.

The problem is there is no such thing as a universal preset and there is to much variability in terms of temperature range and too much variability in terms of user preference. Room, case, and hardware all factor into temp change and the usual range for coolant temp change is comparatively small. That makes it extremely difficult to provide satisfying preset options. Local temp plays a huge factor and someone with 16 core CPU in a 18C room will be much lower on the coolant temp scale than someone with a 4 core packed into a small case playing in a hot room.

I would not hold my breath on white ML fans either. If it matters, white push-pull LL or QL is going to be effectively the same as push pull ML. That is a very narrow difference on a 360mm radiator and likely undetectable on a CPU only cooling system. You would need a good bit more than 300W before any difference was apparent.

All Corsair RGB fans can work on any of the controllers (except 2016 SP-RGB). Each controller will show in CUE as a separate device, each with individually addressable fans and LEDs. The Lighting Node Core is just RGB and can take up to 6 fans. You might also look at getting a relatively inexpensive PWM repeater hub that would connect to 1 PWM port on the Commander Core. It uses SATA to power 4-10 fans (depending on model) and they will all run the same speed. This is an easy way to offload the 6 radiator fans' current from the Com Core. No reason to have independent control of the 6 push pull fans.