Corsair Community

Fans and Fan Controller not turning on - RM1000X

Just installed new RM1000X power supply. There is no power going to the fans or the fan controller. Searched all over and could not find anything on it. Ive tried different sockets and switched between the 2 included cables. Anyone have a clue to fix this? Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Just installed new RM1000X power supply. There is no power going to the fans or the fan controller. Searched all over and could not find anything on it. Ive tried different sockets and switched between the 2 included cables. Anyone have a clue to fix this? Thank you.

What fans? What fan controller? How are they hooked up?

Not the actual fan of the PSU but the 5x 120mm case fans. 1 fan is connected to the peripheral 4 pin cable included. The other 4 are connected to the fan controller, which is then connected to the peripheral 4 pin cable. The system boots up fine but the case fans do not spin. I currently have my case opened as to not overheat. My old 750w PSU had no issue sending power to them. Edited by fadedinc

• Corsair Employees

Ok. So one fan is plugged into the PATA cable that came with the RM1000x and it doesn't spin either?

The PATA/SATA ports are "always on" and always delivering +12V. So if you have a fan plugged directly into the PSU, it should not only be spinning, but spinning full speed.

Are you SURE you have one fan plugged directly into the PSU and you're DEFINITELY using a cable that came with the RM1000x?

No, none of the case fans are spinning at all. Yes I am using the cables included in the box. Let me clarify, the fans are plugged into the included cables which are then plugged in the PSU. I tried all variations, swapping the cable, swapping the plug position. I even tried using both cables, 1 for 1 fan and the other for the fan controller.

• Corsair Employees
No, none of the case fans are spinning at all. Yes I am using the cables included in the box. Let me clarify, the fans are plugged into the included cables which are then plugged in the PSU. I tried all variations, swapping the cable, swapping the plug position. I even tried using both cables, 1 for 1 fan and the other for the fan controller.

What fans are you using? Do you have pictures of how they're plugged in?

Again: The PATA/SATA connectors on the PSU are ALWAYS ON. So they're gong to start spinning any fans plugged directly into them as soon as you power on. I think there's something between the PSU and the fan that you're forgetting to tell us.

Thanks for the help when you said that there is always 12V running through the PATA/SATA connectors. So I swapped the sockets where my SATA hard drives and DVD-R are hooked up with the peripheral cables, which is hooked up to my case fans. The hard drives are able to boot up, system is loads up fine. The DVD-R has power to it. The case fans are STILL NOT spinning at all.

So I can only deduct that its the peripheral cables itself why the fans are not powering up. I am going to return the PSU back to BestBuy in the morning. Thanks for your time and help.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for the help when you said that there is always 12V running through the PATA/SATA connectors. So I swapped the sockets where my SATA hard drives and DVD-R are hooked up with the peripheral cables, which is hooked up to my case fans. The hard drives are able to boot up, system is loads up fine. The DVD-R has power to it. The case fans are STILL NOT spinning at all.

So I can only deduct that its the peripheral cables itself why the fans are not powering up. I am going to return the PSU back to BestBuy in the morning. Thanks for your time and help.

If you're sure the problem is just one of the SATA/PATA cables, why return the whole thing? Just contact Corsair support, tell them you have a bad cable and ask them to send you a new one.

I can't see why the SATA cable would work with a hard drive and not with a fan.

You would think something like a power supply is plug and play.

Seems to be that mysterious fan controller.

Just swapped everything back to my OCZ 750w power supply, everything is working dandy.

If you're sure the problem is just one of the SATA/PATA cables, why return the whole thing? Just contact Corsair support, tell them you have a bad cable and ask them to send you a new one.

It feels faster that I can drive across the street, return the PSU to BestBuy, then 3 clicks on my phone and have a new PSU delivered to my door in a few days, versus trying to chat to a robot or prove to another human I need something sent to me, while the 30 day return window expires. Thanks for everyone's time.