Corsair Community

Corsair One Elite dead. Scavenge and re-build?

My CS1 Elite died, the video card and/or GPU is almost certainly the culprit (GSX 1080 Ti)

The machine is 11 months outside of the warranty period, and Corsair does not repair their PC’s (even at the customer’s expense). I’ve had conversations with customer support to confirm all this. Replacing the video card is theoretically an option, but finding the exact card would be difficult and looks expensive.

So - my plan is to salvage the parts and build a machine with them. I’ve taken the whole CS1 Elite apart, just today.

I’ll get a big case.

The CPU, RAM, SSD should be usable, seems to me.

The mobo, PSU, and radiators / cooling blocks might be. There look to be issues with how to connect this stuff up. The video card radiator and pump originally connected directly to the case-top system fan, so if I’ll have to decide how to use liquid cooling for the CPU. The cooling units for the CPU and GPU connected differently to the system (GPU cooler connnected 3 ways: power, 4-pin connector, and USB to the mobo. The CPU cooler connected with only 2 cables: power and 3-pin connector). Or I’ll hopefully fit an air-cooler directly to the CPU, if this custom MSI mobo will accommodate it.

The PSU looks a little dinky at 500w, but presumably is big enough, depending on the video card I purchase.

If I have to replace the mobo, Microsoft is probably going to get lippy with me about it being “a new PC” re: the Windows license.

I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on the project.

Hi there.

I have a 2017 Corsair One. Mine had an air cooled GPU so the pump that yours had on your GPU was used for the CPU in mine. With that in mind, I can suggest for you to simply use the GPU liquid pump on your system for the CPU instead so you can still use your Corsair One. You can then buy something like a GTX 1660 Super 6G which is not very expensive. Or maybe a RTX 2060 which is faster than a 1080ti. I know the 1660 super might not be as powerful as a 1080ti but it is faster than a GTX 1070. The PSU should still be good enough for this setup. You can leave the GPU air cooled. It will not be a problem. To give you an idea, I have an RTX 3070 in mine (air cooled; Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle OC) and has been running like a dream. There may just be a bit more noise than you're used to due to the GPU fans.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply, EchoSierra.

Overall, what you suggest is my plan. The biggest issue is securing a video card and deciding how much to spend on one.

The strategy will be to use as many of the One Elite components as possible, so essentially I will indeed be “using my Corsair One”. But it’s gonna live in a new case.

The GPU AIO does not have a fan lead at all (only USB, SATA power, and output for the top fan in the CS1). So to work around a boot POST error, I figure I can just plug any old fan into the CPU FAN block on the mobo. In fact, with this Phantek case I’ve ordered (Enthoo Pro PH-ES614PTG_BK), I’ll probably plug the fan hub there, since the it uses a 4-pin PWM connection.

One of my bioggest concerns is the AIO (either of the two) and the very short coolant tubes. They may not reach to the CPU in the new behemoth case. In that event, I’ll have to decide whether to buy a new AIO or go with an air-cooler.

I see what you mean about the AIO. My thinking is that you are most likely going to need to buy a new cooler (AIO or Air) because yes the tubes are a bit short on the original AIO. Another think to consider is how the tubes are attached to the radiator. It's different to a normal AIO and so it may not be easy to position them to reach the CPU. Also, you would have to figure out a custom way to attach the radiator to the new case.

Air cooler will be cheaper and can be just as effective as an AIO. AIO will be quieter. As for the GPU, it will depend on what you are after. If you are after similar performance as the 1080Ti, then the two I suggested will be enough. You could look into AMD cards as well like the 5700XT.

However, if you haven't done it already, try connecting your 1080Ti directly to the motherboard without the riser cable and see if it works. Could be that the riser cable died and not the GPU.

However, if you haven't done it already, try connecting your 1080Ti directly to the motherboard without the riser cable and see if it works. Could be that the riser cable died and not the GPU.

I def need to do this. Though it (now) has no cooling for the GPU. Any idea how long the thing can run at even idle load without getting too hot?

I suppose I can just get some thermal paste and hook the two radiators up to the CPU and GPU in some jack-leg test configuration and let it fly.

Regarding custom mounting the radiator in a new case- I had just assumed the mounting holes would be pretty standard and I’d easily fit it into to a new case, get a fan attached to it. Sounds like you don’t believe that to be realistic.

Yeah I would install the radiators at least when testing. It should be fine in terms of temps as you are just testing to see if you get an image when booting. You can just load to windows and as long as everything works you can then just shut it down. It's just a quick check.

Unfortunately I am simply unsure that the radiator mounting would be standard as this system has a lot of custom built parts specifically for the Corsair ONE. Even the motherboard is custom. But there's only one way to find out, and that is to try it and see how it goes.