Corsair Community

New build help - Hydro X

Emjay86

Hi Guys,

I have recently taken the plunge and bought myself a Corsair 5000D to upgrade from my current Obsidian 800D (long overdue!). I also decided I would change from a soft tubing CPU loop to a hard tubing loop and treated myself to the XD3 pump/res combo along with the CPU cooler (corsair but forgot the name).

I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered to help me put all this together.

Firstly, I want to get the RGB fans set up (haven't bought any yet!) and was hoping i could be pointed in the right direction. I want to go with the LL120 fans, of which I will need 7. I notice that the bundle of 3 also comes with a lighting node pro, which would mean I would end up with two of these if buying 7 of them. Do I actually need these? Am I better off just buying two commander pros? (As I will need to plug my CPU block, pump/res and 7 fans)

Second question: I was hoping to get some sort of drain port for easier draining installed, but being as things are now hardline it isn't as easy as just physically bending a tube with a ball valve on the end out of the way. Where would this be best placed? I know this is a visual decision so its a bit hard to answer potentially but I get the feeling having it sitting in view won't be overly attractive? I plan to attach the 360 rad to the front 3 fans with the ports at the bottom (for easier draining).

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

For your drain port, the sturdiest way would be not to use a piece of tubing. If you can fit it on a T junction at the bottom of the front rad directly, you'll save the cost of two fittings

Another way, if it puts it too close to the glass is to have the T output facing down (or up) and install the ball valve on a 90° rotating fitting. Then you can rotate the valve out for use, and push it back in when you're done.

While you're at it, you could plan an air intake at the highest point of the loop to speed up draining. It adds a few $ worth of fittings but man does it makes it fast :)

For your drain port, the sturdiest way would be not to use a piece of tubing. If you can fit it on a T junction at the bottom of the front rad directly, you'll save the cost of two fittings

Another way, if it puts it too close to the glass is to have the T output facing down (or up) and install the ball valve on a 90° rotating fitting. Then you can rotate the valve out for use, and push it back in when you're done.

While you're at it, you could plan an air intake at the highest point of the loop to speed up draining. It adds a few $ worth of fittings but man does it makes it fast :)

Thanks for the feedback, some awesome suggestions there. I quite like the sound of the rotating fitting. It might not be the neatest solution but it will certainly work!

For the air intake, I could simply use the top of the xd3 as it is the highest part of the build? I've kinda purposely done this for draining purposes as well as making it easier for the pump.

If I go with the rotation connection piece as suggested, what fittings will I need?

Ah with the XD3 high up it will be easy to fill. Just be carefull when priming the pump not to let it run dry at all.that reservoir is.. symbolic at best ^^'

For the drain port, what i had in mind was one splitter at the radiator with one of these

Then depending on how your loop goes, either the tubing goes up, or it goes in line with the fitting. and on hte free port, you install an angled fitting and the ball valve with a rotating male to male adapter that is nonexistent in the Corsair catalog.. i wonder how they even sell ball valves with two female threads, to be installed on components with no male to male adapters..

Since it's rebranded Bitspower, that should do

you could use a fixed male to male that's shorter, but the rotating one allows you to hide the handle a bit.

If you plan to have the tubing exit the T splitter in line, and have the ball valve at the 90° port, you can very well have the valve horizontal with no 90° rotating fitting, if it doesn't collide with the glass panel. All depends on the available space in the case, but it's very flexible. the joys of custom loop.

Ah with the XD3 high up it will be easy to fill. Just be carefull when priming the pump not to let it run dry at all.that reservoir is.. symbolic at best ^^'

For the drain port, what i had in mind was one splitter at the radiator with one of these

Then depending on how your loop goes, either the tubing goes up, or it goes in line with the fitting. and on hte free port, you install an angled fitting and the ball valve with a rotating male to male adapter that is nonexistent in the Corsair catalog.. i wonder how they even sell ball valves with two female threads, to be installed on components with no male to male adapters..

Since it's rebranded Bitspower, that should do

you could use a fixed male to male that's shorter, but the rotating one allows you to hide the handle a bit.

If you plan to have the tubing exit the T splitter in line, and have the ball valve at the 90° port, you can very well have the valve horizontal with no 90° rotating fitting, if it doesn't collide with the glass panel. All depends on the available space in the case, but it's very flexible. the joys of custom loop.

This is awesome, thanks.

I've actually got a ball valve and y splitter on my current soft loop which presumably i can reuse as it seems like they are universal fittings? Just a matter of getting the rotary fitting and checking for space if that's the case.

With regards to the fans; I am looking to run 7 LL 120's, all running through iCUE. I'll have 3 at the very front, 3 at the top and 1 at the back. I think I'll be keeping the shroud on the side on, allowing me to use some old 120's to save a bit (plus it kinda looks cool). This all depends if I can fit everything in with the shroud still there!

The case already comes with a PWM extender, presumably I should just hook my non-RGB fans to this?

The XD3 suggests using a commander pro or lighting node, as does the CPU block and I will likely need the same again for the 7 fans. So with that in mind what do I need to get?

Do I get 2 commander pro's, 1 commander and 1 lighting node or what? I have had a look at people making builds on YouTube and I havnt found anyone who actually explains the fans and more specifically what I need to get full use out of the stuff.

There are bundles of 3 fans with a lighting node and then individually sold fans and it works out cheaper to buy 7 individuals than it does to get 2 bundles and one single. That said, if I need a lighting node then I can use the bundles for that.

Pretty lost on this one!

Drain Port idea's...

http://i.imgur.com/uIQbkrUl.jpg

I also have another pair in the back of my case. draining is a doddle :)

one T piece and one 90 rotary allowed me to add in the valves..

Re Fans and wiring.. might be worth reading

RGB Faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

i also have a 5000 series case faq running.. (work in progress)

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=204498

hydro x faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188181

and imho.. 1 Commander Pro and PWM repeater hubs would be the way forward for fan control (rpm)

Edited by Zotty

This is awesome, thanks.

I've actually got a ball valve and y splitter on my current soft loop which presumably i can reuse as it seems like they are universal fittings? Just a matter of getting the rotary fitting and checking for space if that's the case.

Yep they are universal, all use G1/4 threads across all brands.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the feedback. I have successfully created my build with the feedback given, huge thanks!

I have a little problem left however!

My current PSU is a little too large for the HDD tray to remain in the case and I have 2 HDD's that I want to install.

Firstly, is there anywhere else I can place these?

Secondly, if there isn't, then what PSU can I get that will fit in there nicely, with room for the HDD tray, allowing room for cables, as well as the side sheath to still be installed?

I am fine with getting a new PSU in regards to the second query as my current one is around 6 years old now (May be just under) so it isn't a terrible idea to update it. It's a 750w which is likely too powerful but I feel safe for expanding later on with that power!

Thanks in advance!