Corsair Community

H115i fans suddenly full speed no response

Last December I bought a new PC with a Corsair H115i cooling system and everything worked fine (mostly, see below). However, now all of the sudden both the fans connected to the radiator are blowing at 100% (~1700RPM) and I can't seem to get them down to reasonable speeds. The fans are blowing at full speed from computer startup and none of the fan settings in the iCue software do anything.

I didn't change anything in the iCue software or the bios. The only "hitch" I had previously is that the iCue software would suddenly report the H115i RGB Pro temp at >70 degrees Celsius (from around 28 degrees Celsius) for a couple of seconds before immediately dropping down to regular temperatures. I set "set fan speeds to 100%" if the temperature reaches >80 degrees and I restarted my PC when the fans were going overdrive (instead of clearing the notification), maybe that has something to do with it?

If anyone can help me out it'd be much appreciated.

E: This is on Windows 10.

Edited by flepperdeflep

You can try a force update of the H115i Pro firmware to restore fan control. This can be done from the device settings menu. Check for update -> (none) -> force update.

However, this stuff about the coolant temp showing 70 or 80C even for a moment is troubling. I am not sure if that is the pump stalling (would also show in the pump speed graph) or a sensor glitch, but either one is a serious problem and you should contact Corsair Support with an eye toward replacement.

Also be aware that is the coolant temp really is above 50C it may force the fans into the max mode until it comes down. If so, don't do the firmware flash as it may put you into more difficulty.

You can try a force update of the H115i Pro firmware to restore fan control. This can be done from the device settings menu. Check for update -> (none) -> force update.

However, this stuff about the coolant temp showing 70 or 80C even for a moment is troubling. I am not sure if that is the pump stalling (would also show in the pump speed graph) or a sensor glitch, but either one is a serious problem and you should contact Corsair Support with an eye toward replacement.

Also be aware that is the coolant temp really is above 50C it may force the fans into the max mode until it comes down. If so, don't do the firmware flash as it may put you into more difficulty.

The coolant temp usually shows around 25 to 30C so it's not like it's at that temperature constantly. I forced a firmware update as you suggested and at least the fans are back to normal now, so thanks for that.

I always assumed the short temperature spike was a glitch or an air bubble or something (this is my first water cooled system). Like I said, it usually operates at around ~28 degrees Celcius and very occasionally suddenly spikes to >70 degrees immediately for a 1-2 seconds before going back to normal. I'll see about getting a replacement but for now at least the noise isn't driving me crazy. Thanks again.

Keep an eye on the temp spikes. Even if they are phantom readings (most likely), it will cause fan control issues and that massive and unnecessary spike to max is going to give you a heart attack. This is not a normal issue for the Pro coolers and I can only remember one other failed sensor over the last couple of years. It shouldn’t do that.

If this is actually a mechanical issue you will see pump RPM drop and the coolant temp will build quickly but steadily (40….45…..50…. 55…. 70). You would be able to watch it escalate. If it goes 27-27-70-27-27-80…. Then that is either a software glitch or a sensor problem. The coolant cannot shift temperature that quickly, even if the flow stops. The most common reason users encounter this is when using another monitoring program that polls Corsair internal devices. HWiNFO and AIDA are common examples. They try to access the devices at the same time as cue and become entangled. The result is usually impossible sensor readings, loss of UI control or elements, and other garbage data. If this happens, quit the other program then restart the CUE service from the CUE settings panel (or restart the PC). Something like MSI afterburner is fine because it does not poll the Corsair hardware.

• Corsair Employee

If it happens again, I suggest we start by removing iCUE, and clearing all system files of iCUE, then reinstalling iCUE fresh. This can solve many issues you may encounter. Follow this guide for me, then Repair iCUE once complete.

Remove iCUE

Repair iCUE

If this does not resolve your issue I suggest ensuring that Windows, as well as any system drivers, are installed, and up to date.