Corsair Community

Asus and Memory

Jamess111

I am setting up a new system. I am using a Asus SLI deluxe MB and a AMD Hammer Claw 4000 CPU. I read in your forum that DDR 400 twin 3200XL when using 2 sets of 2 defaults at 333, yes ro no ? Would DDR 4400 C25 be a better chioce for my gaming, graphics intensive system when using 2 sets of 1024 (2-512's), total 4 sticks ? Thank You Jim

If you're looking for speed I'd stick with 400 MHz. Assuming you wont be doing any major overclocking I'd go with Garvin's suggestion of Twinx 1024-3200xl and then maybe experiment with 2-2-2-6, 2-2-2-8, 2-2-2-10, and 2-2-2-12 for each time running benchmarking programs to find a sweet spot.

You mentioned 333. Does your motherboard not support 4 double sided modules? Might be something to look at if you don't know, but I'd try to stick with 400 Mhz for bandwith if possible. In most applications (including gaming) you wont need more then a gig anyways.

You'll find many will suggest the 3200XL's for AMD's as they only run a 400 Mhz bus. The higher memory numbers usually run for the Pentiums.

YoueatLard,

The 333mhz he was refering to was from either Asus or Amd documentation. Some of the early fx processor memory controllers would drop frequency to 333 with two sets of ram in the four slots. The documentation hasn't kept up. He shouldn't have this problem with the 4000 processor.

Ps; When I find some time I may try your suggested values and see the effects on benchmarks, especially the efficiency value.

• Corsair Employees

Jamess111

With AMD 64 when you install more than 2 modules that are double sided it will by default run at DDR333, and we officially only support one set of Twinx modules at the tested settings. That being said, you can run 4 modules and sometimes over clock the system at DDR400 but there would be no guarantee.

Archived