Corsair Community

Original Corsair One (2017)...are there still problems upgrading to Win10 v 20H2?

I read in the past that there were installation problems with this version of windows and Corsair LINK software.

Some people suggested uninstalling LINK, then upgrading windows 10 to 20H2, then reinstalling LINK.

Is this still necessary? Windows is telling me it's time to update to 20H2 and I want to avoid any unnecessary headaches.

Thanks!

I was never been able to update. I tried everything. Uninstalling all the corsair products, remove all the USB peripherals attached to my computer. Nothing worked.

I ended up re-installing Windows from scratch and then install the update right away. That worked.

Can any of the Corsair moderators here chime in on this one?

Have they seen or heard of this problem? And if so, do they have some sort of official (or unofficial) workaround?

Is this even a thing? Or has it only happened to a small number of users?

Also, the URL to the latest version of the LINK software in the sticky thread ( https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175259 ) is broken. Can someone provide the correct URL to the latest version of LINK?

Edited by MrPace

Another question...is it OK to upgrade Windows WITHOUT LINK running?

If I uninstall LINK in order to try and upgrade to Win v. 20H2, there will still be some cooling of the CPU/GPU even without LINK running, correct?

• Corsair Employees

Hey MrPace,

You'll need to uninstall Corsair Link temporarily in order to update to Windows 20H2. Then you'll need to reinstall Corsair Link after the update as Corsair Link is required to the fan in your system to run properly.

There are a few more steps. If possible, please submit a ticket via https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us and send me your ticket#. I'll have one of our agents reach out to you with the detailed instructions as I believe you'll have to change a registry setting after the update.

We'll most likely update / post a sticky for easy reference in the future.

There is my experience with CORSAIR ONE 2017. I was unable to run the 20H2 update on Windows Pro before unintalling Corsair Link 4. Once the update done I can install back Corsair Link for Corsair One found on Corsair website but the launch of Corsair link generate a blue screen, fatal error and crash the PC. Even the restore of windows 10 generate blue screen during installation at 66%. No other choice than using an external recovery disk to finally install properly Windows 10 PRO. I haven't yet re-tried to install and launch Corsair Link as I don't want to crash the computer.

Does anybody know if iCUE 3 is enough to control the temperature of the computer ?

I am relying on motherboard to control the fan speed; but I guess it is not controlling the pumps ? Am I right ?

Is anybody has been able to install and run Corsair Link with Windows 10 PRO 20H2 ?

Thank you for your help

• Corsair Employees

Hey Cpalir

We're working on getting a sticky up for instructions on how to update to 20H2 properly and reinstall Link.

Unfortunately iCUE 3 isn't compatible with the temperature monitoring and fan control hardware of the 2017 Corsair Ones.

If you haven't already, go ahead and submit a ticket on https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us and send me your ticket#. I'll make sure one of our guys help you.

Frankly, I find this kind of unacceptable. Why not simply update the LINK software if that is indeed the problem? Or integrate functionality into your newer iCue?

Or at least publish this "fix" you are giving out privately, for all to see.

I received the instructions via email after I put in a ticket, but I'm still hesitant to update Windows because it sounds as if Corsair hasn't really fixed the problem.

Do you guys not have any 2017 Corsair Ones laying around to test this on?

People should not be running into issues where they have to reinstall Windows completely just because of LINK software. That's ridiculous coming from a major player like Corsair.

Work with Microsoft to get this fixed ASAP. This has been a known issue for quite some time now.

Edited by MrPace

They can't even fix bugs in iCUE with the new systems. In July 2020 I opened a support ticket about iCUE 3 turning off the only fan in my a100. It took me 2 months to get them to realized it w as a software issue. They said they would file a bug report and then closed the issue as solved. The bug was never fixed, I ended up connecting my fan to the motherboard and setting it to 100% speed.

A year later I noticed iCUE 4 was released... so I moved my fan back installed it thinking the bug SURELY would've been fixed in version 4. It wasn't. Corsair software should never be trusted or relied upon.

Hello,

I opened a ticket and the answer was quite unacceptable, basically: “we are not supporting anymore Corsair Link.” Full stop.

I am still arguing with them to have the iCUE 3 or 4 fixed as I Have finally managed to get CL4 install on windows 20H2.

Ticket number: 2004313356

Thanks for you help.

the machine isn't even four years old yet...and they won't support it?

I find that hard to believe...especially when it was Corsair that made LINK an absolute REQUIREMENT to be able to effectively cool the original Corsair Ones

Neither is a surprise to me.

TLDR: Corsair's 'Award winning support' was a participation award. They will not provide parts or support for an out of warranty system.

The past year of owning an a100 has been a nightmare. The system started overheating 2 weeks after I bought it. I opened a support ticket and it took me a month to get them to understand that iCUE was setting my fan to 0%. They asked me if my system was overheating because of the weather, despite me explaining to them multiple different ways, and even provided a log of the fan setting the speed to 0%. I would have to ping them multiple times and wait days for a reply. Summary of my experience with Corsair can be found in this Post

Other users have tried to get parts such as the AIO's out of Corsair... the usual answer is that they don't provided parts. There were two users who managed to get the warehouse to send them an AIO, but they had to jump through hoops with phone support to do that. I doubt anything more substantial than that would get replaced.

• Corsair Employees

The work around to updating Windows to 202H on the 2017 Corsair One has been posted here. With this you should be able fully update to 202H and then reinstall LINK without experiencing BSODs.

For the time being this should work. While Corsair Link isn't actively receiving updates, our C1 team does look into reported issues and will try to provide a solutions and work-arounds when possible.

The work around to updating Windows to 202H on the 2017 Corsair One has been posted here. With this you should be able fully update to 202H and then reinstall LINK without experiencing BSODs.

For the time being this should work. While Corsair Link isn't actively receiving updates, our C1 team does look into reported issues and will try to provide a solutions and work-arounds when possible.

Again, the URL you posted in that sticky to the latest version of LINK is BROKEN...unless it's just me?

• Corsair Employees
Again, the URL you posted in that sticky to the latest version of LINK is BROKEN...unless it's just me?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's not just you. It appears that some folks are able to download it just fine while others encounter an error.

Give us a moment and we should be able to get this fixed.

How can Corsair even remotely consider this an acceptable?

You created a system in which users have to rely on a piece of software in order to keep their machines (and possibly livelihood) running. It is nice that you are looking for a workaround, but the bug in the software needs to be fixed or iCUE needs to be updated to be able to control these older systems.

Turning a $3-4k investment into a paperweight after 3-4 years is not acceptable.

I see that there is a sticky post saying to uninstall Link before doing the Windows update, doing a regedit after the update, and then reinstalling Link.

This sounds incredibly dangerous for the system. During the entirety of this operation the system won't be actively cooled. There is not guarantee that the user can complete this in the short amount of time it will take the loop to overheat. All because Corsair doesn't want to dig out the source code and fix a critical bug in a critical piece of software for these machines.

The kicker is that these systems are out of warranty... its almost like they want the users of these machines to overheat their systems and buy a new one.

• Corsair Employees

For the time being, this update should resolve these issues. Users haven't had any issues updating from 1903 to 202H while Corsair Link was temporarily removed.

You shouldn't have any problems updating Windows after doing the work-around and installing the latest version of LINK. Should that change in the future we'll look into it and provide an appropriate solution. Unfortunately for the time being, by design, the original 2017 Corsair One will require LINK to work.

The link on the sticky is still broken but it should be updated soon. In the meantime, you can download the latest version of Corsair LINK via this link.

You can also get it by navigating to our Downloads page on our Web Site: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads

And when a user DOES have an issue with their out of warranty system overheats because of this 'Fix', will Corsair RMA their system or are they stuck with a paperweight?

Corsair's solution shouldn't be to rely on the CPU thermal throttling itself to keep from overheating. Asking a user to do a regedit is also a no bueno. While the instructions are clear, this is still not something an average user of a pre-built system should be expected to do.

If they don't want to update Corsair LINK, then support for these systems should be added to iCUE to resolve these issues

• Corsair Employees

With Corsair Link uninstalled, your system is still cooled. The top fan will continue to spin and the actual pump will continue to work. This "fail-safe" mode is enough for you to go through one update.

We highly advise that under normal usage you have Corsair Link installed as the curve in Link is much better overall.