Corsair Community

memory for a compaq S5100NX

d7d

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my parents computer. It is a Compaq Presario S5100NX. It currently has the default 256M ram, which is very inadequate for running XP, and doing anything else with it.

I was looking into getting either 512M or 1G of ram. Now, the corsair memory selector identified CMSS512MB-266, which I am assuming would be compatible with the current ram for a total of 768M. Would the VS512MB266 also be compatible? It appears to be the value select brand of the same type of RAM or would I run into differing CAS latency issues with what is already there. Wanted to verify this.

Also, if I take out what is there now and add a 2x512 of value select(VS1GBKIT400C3) PC3200, then it should underclock itself to match the current speed. Right? I was thinking of doing this since PC2100 and PC3200 ram are compariable in price, and would give better upgrade options later.

Thanks for any help provided,

d7d

Shorter Answers:

I wouldn't think the computer's current RAM would conflict with something new you'd buy as the computer *should* only run as fast as it's slowest module. Ofcourse the new RAM will more then likely be faster and be slowed by running with the original.

Getting a newer 3200 RAM shouldn't make a problem at all in the older system. What I've found will happen when doing this myself is that the system will do one of two things. One it may hike the memory back to 2100 and tighten the timings or two it may automaticly put in a divider and run the memory at full speed or maybe at 2700 speeds. I've personally had a A7N8X-MX (a 333 bus board) throw in a divider and run 3200 memory at 3200 speeds.

More info:

Perhaps you could break that Compaq open for us and read off some of the motherboard information so we might beable to get a more definate answer. If you could find a label stating who made the board and a model number it may be helpfull. Usually a package product producer (Compaq, Dell, etc) doesn't actually make the motherboards they put in their systems. Instead they buy a motherboard, burn manufacturer info in to an onboard prom and modify the BIOS to make it look like theirs. It is still the same hardware though and we may be able to look and see exactly what it will do.

System Select memory is made to work with OEM memory, whereas Value Select memory is made to replace OEM memory.

Underclocking memory is a problem on OEM systems, because the PC may see that it's not PC2100 and as such won't know how to deal with it.

Archived