Corsair Community

Fans sound like a jet engine; Commander not visible in iCUE

Hello everyone,

I've been researching this all over the place for the better part of a week since I got my Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro. I'll do my very best to try and explain this as clearly as possible, so bear with me on this.

After installing these fans, they were so very quiet and I was instantly amazed by how quiet they were. Browsing, video, and other tasks didn't even make the fans slightly perk up. They're as quiet as I could ever have hoped and I was super impressed.

With that being said, I started to play a game, and noticed the fans ramped up just slightly. No worries, I thought to myself. Obviously they can't be so quiet as to not be noticeable under much heavier loads. I can handle a little noise. The problem is, they kept getting louder, and louder until they were running at their max RPMs and it was like having a jet engine next to my head. Even stranger is when I changed my active display from the monitor my game was running on to the one I had my browser in, all the sudden the fans would slow down to a whisper again. If I went back into the game, they'd speed right back up to full load.

I thought that was super weird, so I did a little research as to what the problem was.

Oh man, am I a newb, I thought to myself when I realized I hadn't messed with my BIOS. Of course! I need to mess with a few settings to quiet them down. I don't overclock my CPU, so I don't need to have them on max settings. I head into my BIOS, turn silent mode on for all 3 of the fans, take them off CPU for Motherboard, and turn the ramp up time to 12 seconds (all settings I found helped other people). Restarted my system, headed into a game, no change. Ramped up to full RPM, loud as all hell.

Back to more research. I found a couple people state that ASUS ROG motherboards have some issues with Corsair fans. A few people told me to uninstall the Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device and reinstall it as it worked for them. No change. Still the same issue.

Another thing people mentioned was to put the RGB Node and Commander on their own SATA cable. So, I tried that... no change, still full blast.

Then I ran into someone that had an issue where whenever they'd restart their computer, their computer would make a noise like a USB drive was removed. I found I had that same noise. Come to find out, it's the Corsair Commander disconnecting. I know it's that, because as soon as I logged on once, I immediately opened my iCUE software and, bam, there was the Commander. Then the sound of a USB disconnecting happens and the Commander disappears.

Everything is installed correctly, according to the directions that came with the fans.

Essentially, I'm stuck in a situation where I cannot control my fans at all. BIOS won't control them, nor can I get into my Commander node to mess with the settings and prevent them from going to maximum load. Again, I'm not overclocking, nor am I playing super intense games that heat my CPU to the point of needing maximum cooling.

Does anyone have any idea what can cause this? I put in a ticket with Corsair last week, and I still haven't heard from anyone about this and how to fix it, and it's getting to be very frustrating. I don't want to return them, but if I can't stop the fans from going full blast, I'll have no choice. I can't sit there and listen to that noise for minutes, let alone hours. Any help will be much appreciated!

I am a bit confused by your description. Are you running the case fans from the motherboard (and thus BIOS controls fans) or the Commander Pro (in which case CUE controls any fans directly connected to the device). RGB connectors alone do not put the fan under CUE control nor does connecting a Lighting Node Pro to a Commander through the USB port. I will write this for both scenarios.

It's not the fans and I would say you were directed down the wrong path. In the BIOS fan curves you have several choices for a control variable. Most MBs default to CPU temp, which makes sense for a CPU air cooler but not much else. When you combine that with way in which recent CPU power behavior and general characteristics, you should notice your CPU temp jumps around quite a bit. Your CPU may clock up to maximum when you launch iTunes to make it feel quicker and more response loading, but that does not mean you need all your case fans to respond to these 40C - 70C - 40C - 65C rolling patterns. Some motherboards include hysteresis controls or delays to help mute this. Asus typically hides them in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring sections. QFan stuff is way down at the bottom of the list. Set a spin up/down delay of 12 seconds.

However, ideally since the case fans' job is to remove warmer air and hopefully bring in cooler air into the case, an ambient temp sensor is the proper control variable. The "motherboard temp sensor" works well enough for most set-ups and it is generally close enough to the GPU to be affected. That is good since that is the largest producer of internal heat in the case. Some other motherboards have an actual 2 prong sensor probe you can use, but the MB sensor usually works fine. The trick is you have to learn the normal range and behavior of that value. Your baseline temperature and your normal load MB temp will be unique for your set-up and how you use it.

If you did connect the fans to the Commander Pro directly, then it is the same issue with a different correction. The fan controller defaults to CPU temp as the hidden sensor value. This is terrible, but standard behavior and the one guaranteed element present in every PC build. Go to the Commander Pro -> Cooling and click on the + to create a new custom curve. A graph will appear below.

Super quick fix is to set your fan curve with a sensor choice of GPU temperature. Most people know the range and understand the operation. It might cause the fans to slow down abruptly when on loading screens or maps that don't use major GPU power, but it will be much better than the current situation. Ideally you do the same as above and need a better sensor for ambient case temp. The motherboard temp sensor is here too. That is another quick fix with the same caveat about finding your own temp range. The other is to use the thermal probes (wires) that come with the Commander Pro. Those are the native sensors for the device and work at all times, whether CUE is running or not. CUE cannot detect GPU or MB temp unless it has the software to fetch the data from the MB. Stick the sensor end somewhere near your rear exhaust, in or out of the case. That is an excellent measure of internal temperature. You can put one in the front too if you want to contrast intake vs exit, but the exit will be the control temp. Again, you'll need to determine your normal range during load.

I'm sorry if there's confusion. Attached is a picture of my current BIOS Chassis fan setups. There's a slight difference in my Q-Fan control and Q-Fan source options. I changed them to PWM Mode and VRM mode respectively and also did a ramp down speed of 12 seconds. I was still having the same problem.

1634446007_FansBIOS.thumb.jpg.6de6334cb84dc5afd45a77fa4361d446.jpg

I've tried running the fans from both, but BIOS is the only ones I can actually run them from because the Commander PRO node is missing in iCUE. I can't even attempt to run it from there because that option is just not there. Yes, I did wire it up right, and it has its own dedicated SATA cable, because I heard it might help (spoiler alert: it didn't).

iCUE.thumb.jpg.6bf829b639ce576d1e51c236c7670a78.jpg

Essentially, I can only control my fans from BIOS because my Commander Pro keeps getting disconnected whenever I restart my computer (the problem I mentioned in my original post; where my computer will make the familiar sound of a USB device disconnecting). The BIOS options, however, will not change a thing and the computer still ramps everything up to unbearably loud noises that sound like a jet's intake. I've tried just about everything to be able to get into the Commander Pro, but nothing has worked thus far, so I'm stuck with fans that go balls to the walls on games like WoW. I've never had a situation like this before to where I cannot control the fan output at all.

Edited by Strathaczar

eeeh you may want to use the ez mode for the fan curve configguration instead of using default presets ^^

Also setting the control variable to VRM won't help much. They barely warm up until the CPU is under a massive load, so it must have interesting results right now yes.

You may be better off downloading AIsuite from Asus and setting fan curves in windows with it.

As for the disconnect issues with AMD, are you on the latest bios? AMD released an AGESA update not long ago to adress that very problem with bugged USB connectivity.

Maybe have a look there :

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=204534

After installing that utility and messing with my fans, I found out it's not the chassis fans at all... it's my GPU that's full throttle. It's completely strange though, because I don't overclock, nor do I use any extravagant settings. I just plugged the card in and started playing, so I'm unsure why it's going full bore. There's so much air flow within the case, and the back has a giant amount of air holes for the GPU to breath out of, the tower is on top of my desk and not on the floor to prevent it being confined to a smaller space, but after feeling the back plate while running my games, the GPU is HOT HOT HOT!

This new build was a bad idea... everything that can go wrong, is going wrong. I checked all settings in my GPU control panel, and if I slow the fan down even slightly, the temperature spikes hard.

I don't know if it might just be a thermal paste thing, but I don't want to fry this card since I just got it about a month ago. Do you think it could just be the thermal paste, or is it possibly defective? Again, all settings are at default, there's no overclocking, and I even put my chassis fans back to their default setup to make sure there's no outliers that could cause issues. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also, to make things even stranger, as I stated above, the GPU fan will react according to which of my displays is "active". If the monitor I have the game on is "active" (i.e. I'm clicked in it and moving around/playing normally) the temperature spikes and the fans go full load. If I click on the monitor with my browser open, or a movie playing, or whatever I have happening on that display, the temperature drops dramatically, and the fans shut up until I start playing again. This is super strange.

Edited by Strathaczar