Corsair Community

iCUE not detecting / controlling H115i fan speed

PsychoticFrog

Hello,

Just received my PC as prebuilt, checked the cables and everything seems OK I guess, but iCUE doesn't see my CPU fan speed, it is reported as 0. My cooler is a H115i Platinum, and it has the latest firmware.

I can see the speed just fine in the BIOS or using a 3rd party tool like HWiNFO, however iCUE is just unable to see/manage it.

So this leaves me with the fans regularly getting super noisy and spinning at 4000RPM while the system temp is super stable at like 25 celcius (room temperature). Forcing the performance to "Zero RPM" does nothing.

Here's what I see; https://i.imgur.com/hsNtcv8.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

That's not the fan speed you are seeing in HWInfo, that's the pump. The difference you see is due to how many poles the pump motor has. I'd imagine with the fans set to "Quiet", the fans will be set to zero revs at a temperature of 21.4°C. What happens if you play a game or present some other load on the CPU?

If you want to change to another fan profile, you need to select the fans with the left mouse button (control left-mouse for multiple fans) and they will display a yellow rectangle around the fan(s). Now you can select another fan profile ("Balanced" or "Extreme") from the "Performance" panel.

Thanks for the reply, but if it was the pump, wouldn't it be the same as what iCUE reports, aka 2.3k RPM not 4k?

And yes I'd want the fans to really be at 0 rpm at 'quiet', however the radiator fans are running at near full speed almost all the time, with short breaks. If I stress test the CPU fans just continue spinning like mad like they already do (but with a reason this time). Other system fans with Commander Pro are at ~1k RPM.

Changing profiles do not change anything, fans continue spinning at their very loud speed RPM while iCUE reports 0.

Here's an example while stressing the CPU with CPU-Z: https://i.imgur.com/g07ybA5.png

Temperature rising very slowly, fans still going crazy, "0 RPM" in iCUE, pump speed stable at 2300-ish in iCUE and "fan speed" reported at 4k with max of 7k in hwinfo

Blaise is correct and that is the raw pump speed you are seeing in HWiNFO and in the BIOS. The min/max are bit misleading as well, but this particular unit will read double the actual pump speed in a raw form. This is a common reality with some AIO units and all Platinum/XT units are this way. CUE is programmed to divide by two and produce the expected number.

The fan recognition is a bigger issue and this seems to happen sometimes on the Platinum/XT models. Assuming the PWM fan cables are connected to the controller on the pump, you should see a positive speed on both channels. However, we see a lot of prebuilt PCs were the builder does not do this for whatever reason and sticks them on the MB. That would make them zero in CUE and follow BIOS settings. You should have 2 PWM and 2 RGB cables connected to the two pump splitters.

If the fans are connected to the pump, I would force update the firmware to unfreeze the fan controller or contact Corsair Support for assistance.

Ooh yeah I get it now! Didn't realize it the pump speed could be read differently, thanks.

"You should have 2 PWM and 2 RGB cables connected to the two pump splitters"

Well damn, what I thought was the fans headers correctly plugged in were in fact the RGB connectors. Thought it was the fan ones, but I looks like they are supposed to have a shroud around them. By fishing around in the case I finally found the shrouded ones. Just need more fishing now to find/reconnect the fan cables properly. Pretty annoying fiddling around in a PC you've not built and cable managed.

Thanks a bunch!

The hardest part may be finding where the builder tucked away the two PWM wires. They will often do this for either aesthetic reasons or because they do not want to connect it the AIO without guarantee the end user will install CUE so they can manage it. That model has two independent fan channels and it makes no different which fan goes on which connector.

Once you have done that, they will show up in CUE and be controllable through that software interface. There are three presets (Quiet, Balanced, Extreme) that may work quite well for users in cool rooms. However, most of us need to make slight tweaks as the seasons change. You can create a custom curve at any time by clicking on the Performance tab and +. This will add a graph below. In the corner of the graph are three shape tools that correspond to the Quiet, Balanced, Extreme presets. Pick one (probably quiet), make sure you set the sensor to H115i Temp (coolant temperature), then you can start moving the points slightly up or down to get a quiet idle speed or establish a fan speed limit. You will not need a lot fan speed to make this work successfully. Always go with noise determinations if unsure. No one overheats at 1000 rpm but not at 1200 rpm. It is not that sensitive to fan speed except at the zero rpm level.