Corsair Community

Is this failing RAM, or am I doing something wrong that I don't know about?

I purchased a 1gb Dual Channel ValueRAM kit during September of last year, and all was well for quite a while. About a month ago, I started having problems, such as random crashes in programs I was using, or just random system crashes all together.

I decided to run a memory test program overnight, and found a whopping 470,000 errors were reported. I seemed a bit skeptical that it might be the RAM itself, so I threw it in another computer that I have and ran the memory test on that computer. To no avail, the program reported around 450,000 errors, not far off from what I got the first time.

I'm at a loss for words on what it could be. I'm running everything at stock speeds (no overclocking) and my BIOS is up to date.

I'm running the RAM in slots 1 and 3 on my motherboard. I also tried them in 1 and 2, and also 2 and 3, but there was no luck there. Please help! :):

Can you tell us what motherboard you're using, it's major components (like CPU, PSU, vid card ect...) & the voltage used for your memory? Also posting your complete memory part number will greatly help...

Running an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard, with an Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, Thermaltake 480W PSU, and an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.

The voltage for my memory is currently set to 2.6volts.

Part number of the RAM is VS1GBKIT400C3.

Hope this helps a little bit :):

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voiltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

I upped the voltage to 2.7v, and so far, there haven't been any issues. Will post updates after I run memtest+.

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing.

Well, I tested each individual stick, and determined that one of them is bad, and the other is coming up with zero errors.

With that said, I don't suppose there's a chance of me RMAing the bad stick, since they came as a 2-pack, is there?

• Corsair Employees

With Value Select, yes you can jst RMA the failing module.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

With Value Select, yes you can jst RMA the failing module.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Alright cool. I submitted the RMA request. Thank you so much for everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived