Corsair Community

H150i RGB PRO XT Coolant Temp ?

Hi guys, i have a Question

I have a i9 9900K and a Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AiO

I looking for a great Fan Curve, now my Question, what for Coolant Water Temps are good and what is to High?

When i play for many hours my CPU got about 60 - 65 Celsius and the Coolant Water temps about 40 - 42 Celsius. Is that ok, and what is to high?

The absolute max for most systems from a physical standpoint is 60C coolant temp. That's not a good place to be for a prolonged period of time. However, for most users on newer CPUs your effective limit will be lower. Coolant temp is the minimum possible CPU temperature with zero volts. The CPU temp then builds on top of that depending on Vcore level, load, instruction type, etc based on the CPU type and physical construction. You can take an assessment of this by loading up something with a fixed 100% load, like the bench stress test in CPU-Z. Check your coolant temp and start the test. You only need to run it for a few seconds. That immediate jump in CPU temperature, minus the initial coolant temperature is your CPU-Coolant differential. Most users will see a value between +35-50C depending on CPU and clock/voltage levels. This represents the worst case scenario and allows you to calculate a maximum coolant temperature for your personal CPU temp limit. So if your differential is +40C and your personal limit for CPU temp is 85C, then 45C coolant is your limit.

The above is useful for setting a maximum fan response point and establishing a temperature ceiling. For everything underneath that, it's down to user preference and noise tolerances. Your idle coolant temp is going to be determined by your room and case temp. Most people will sit around 5-7C over the room, but regardless of the actual number you can set a quiet 750 rpm baseline around that number. You won't be able to lower it at any fan speed -- at least for any meaningful change. Keep it relatively flat for 2-3C after that as this value will shift up on warmer days or warmer parts of the day.

Now you need to find an acceptable load fan speed. 120mm fans have a sweet spot around 1300 rpm where they are fairly effective for dissipating heat, but not unreasonably loud. Most people will be happy a little above or below that line. It really doesn't matter and the noise should be the determining factor. You want this speed to be set to match that 40-42C coolant peak you normally see. Set the max (or something high) for that coolant limit discussed in the first paragraph. Smooth out everything in between.

The other approach is a simple idle/load toggle. Set a flat curve with an emergency fan response up near 50C. This will keep the fans at a quiet idle level all the time. When you know you are going to have a period of extended load like gaming, CPU renders, etc., then toggle to fixed PWM % for the fan curve. Set that to acceptable load fan speed (~1300 rpm). The fan curve becomes a low/medium toggle switch. This keeps it simple with not fussing about temperature changes or shifts. You cannot overheat a cooler because you are running 1200 rpm instead of 1600 rpm. The difference between 1300 rpm and 2000 rpm might be 2-3C at most and if your CPU is within 2C of thermal throttling, you have other issues not related to the cooler. If you are seeing max CPU temps of 60-65 after long sessions, you don't really need to change anything.

• Corsair Employees
That is perfectly normal. 30-45 is the wide range of acceptable "good" coolant temps at load. Anything more you should your case check air flow or for blockages in your radiator. Anything less, and you must have a lower ambient temp than most.