Corsair Community

iCUE 4 crashes on launch

I recently tried to switch to v4 from v3 and haven't been able to get to use it a single time since it crashes a few seconds after launching 100% of the time. The devices all populate on the main screen and then the app goes unresponsive a moment later and then crashes and closes itself a few moments after that. I've had the same issue with the latest version as well as the previous two. v3 worked mostly fine before. I tried to look at the log file myself but only saw lots of warnings and no errors, so I don't know where to go next. Below are things I've tried plus my hardware and I've attached my log with all my devices connected and my existing profile from v3.

Things I've tried

• Rebooting pc
  • Deleting profile data
  • Fully uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling
  • Disconnecting all devices (excl. Node PRO & GPU)

My devices

• K70 LUX RGB
  • M65 PRO RGB
  • VIRTUOSO SE
  • Lighting Node PRO
  • RGB Fan LED Hub
  • Some ML RBG fans
  • ROG STRIX 1070 OC

2021-04-22T01-08-24.log

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to point out that I had the exact same issue including doing the total uninstall and it still crashed on startup. One thing I noticed is it wasn't loading my motherboard before it would crash so I went to Program Files\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE 4 Software\plugins\ASUS and disabled the ASUS dll file and that finally fixed it for me. So at least for me clearly there is an issue with something ASUS related and maybe you might be in the same boat!

I can't control the lights on my motherboard from ICUE anymore but at least it doesn't crash on startup! Maybe one of the plugins they're loading can be disabled and fix it for you too.

I just want to point out that I had the exact same issue including doing the total uninstall and it still crashed on startup. One thing I noticed is it wasn't loading my motherboard before it would crash so I went to Program Files\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE 4 Software\plugins\ASUS and disabled the ASUS dll file and that finally fixed it for me. So at least for me clearly there is an issue with something ASUS related and maybe you might be in the same boat!

I can't control the lights on my motherboard from ICUE anymore but at least it doesn't crash on startup! Maybe one of the plugins they're loading can be disabled and fix it for you too.

ASUS plugin indeed was the cause! Thank you so much. I don't have a motherboard with addressable LEDs though, only a GPU.

I had exactly the same problem too a couple of days ago so I rolled back to iCue 3 using an old installer file.

Found your post this morning, updated to iCue 4 again, disabled ASUS dll & it no longer crashes at launch. Cheers for that.

Hey guys, what do I need to do exactly to disable the ASUS dll file?

Change it from asus_plugin.dll to something like asus_plugin.bak.

Just be aware that every time the software updates if they don't fix the bug you might have to redo this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Registered an account just to say thank you for this. I couldn't figure out what had changed, and other google searches didn't yield an answer. Thanks again!

Edited by 0 RWHP
typo

• Corsair Employees

If you are experiencing iCUE crashing on startup the cause is one of two things, and both are related to third-party software being installed but not updated. The first one is utilizing the original Aura software, specifically version 1.07.79, The other is running outdated MSI Dragon Center/Mystic Light software.

For Aura you are going to need to uninstall it and download and install Armoury Crate as Asus has discontinued development and support for the original Aura software and their provided plugin for motherboard and GPU integration is not compatible with the original Aura software.

For MSI Dragon Center/Mystic light you will need to uninstall the software and then go to the MSI website and make sure you download and install the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...

My corsair icue 4 software folder is empty? could this also be a problem and how do I fix that? I have uninstalled already and nothing...

P.S. I also registered just to solve this problem (First time making an account for a forum...ever).

If you are experiencing iCUE crashing on startup the cause is one of two things, and both are related to third-party software being installed but not updated. The first one is utilizing the original Aura software, specifically version 1.07.79, The other is running outdated MSI Dragon Center/Mystic Light software.

For Aura you are going to need to uninstall it and download and install Armoury Crate as Asus has discontinued development and support for the original Aura software and their provided plugin for motherboard and GPU integration is not compatible with the original Aura software.

For MSI Dragon Center/Mystic light you will need to uninstall the software and then go to the MSI website and make sure you download and install the latest version.

I'm not running either of these things but it still crashes for me. I've got an Asus Prime Z370-A board and indeed renaming the asus_plugin.dll to asus_plugin.bak fixed the app crashes. Like others have said, my motherboard lights no longer sync with the rest of the system now. This is a real shame as it was all working fine on iCUE v3. If this is a known compatibility issue why doesn't the software display an error and warn us about this? I only realised the software was crashing when my CPU started getting hot and the logo on my H100i v2 cooler started flashing red. I now note the cooler isn't being picked up in iCUE any more either, what happened? iCUE v3 was working perfectly, this is really frustrating!

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem. iCue crashes on startup. I have also tried the instructions to completely remove and reinstall. I DO NOT have and Asus motherboard (or anything Asus). It used to work perfectly before today. The only change is a network card. (Had to go fiber.) CatX no longer available. 

K100
Dark Core Pro SE
MM1000
Virtuoso Pro
iCue Nexus
Vengeance Pro RGB 3600
6x LL120 Fans

i have a similar problem  on starup

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE 4 Software\iCUEDevicePluginHost.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    iCUEDevicePluginHost.exe
Application Version:    4.16.194.0
Application Timestamp:    6155f8bd
Fault Module Name:    NahimicOSD.dll
Fault Module Version:    2.2.19.0
Fault Module Timestamp:    611112ab
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    00000000000149f0
OS Version:    10.0.19043.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Information 1:    7143
Additional Information 2:    71435c61e518309516a9a2efd8420ff8
Additional Information 3:    0101
Additional Information 4:    0101ee5156c1d8413815826f6e79554e

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    be7b01995f18f0ac3aead17ee9eb83ef (1939592932557030383)

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE 4 Software\iCUEDevicePluginHost.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    iCUEDevicePluginHost.exe
Application Version:    4.16.194.0
Application Timestamp:    6155f8bd
Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version:    10.0.19041.1288
Fault Module Timestamp:    a280d1d6
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    0000000000063416
OS Version:    10.0.19043.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Information 1:    f593
Additional Information 2:    f593f03531d6646001b05dc832ff4863
Additional Information 3:    8f74
Additional Information 4:    8f74fda24c58164c82bbe6cac5f24916

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    cea7b4abe1ec8a07e31ad106c54fa17c (1376642463125447036)