Corsair Community

New to the Loop. Fan Profile Help temps

Hi everyone hopefully some one could recommend for me how to set up my fan/pump profiles. Currently I have XH305i RGB loop kit. I havent added anything extra to the loop just what it came with. Im running a Ryzen 5800X cpu and 360 rad. What is a good custom profile for the fans and pump in quite mode untill needed? I currently have the fans set to Hydro X fans which keeps them off and then speed up as the temp goes up in the case. The one I dont get is the pump I have that set to Hydro X pump and it runs a 2180rpm all the time which I think is full speed and you can hear it. I would like to get it as quite as possible and there is where I dont know how to change it. Right now these are my temps at idle. Thoughts?

Thanks

At idle my 5 fans are 715 rpm

Room 24.44cc

Water Temp 37.04c

Exhaust Temp 36.83c comes out the back of case

Center of case 35.8c messures heat around video card

CPU 43.88c

1660 ti not part of loop yet 43.00c

There is no specific universal minimum pump or fan speed that works for all people or systems. Fans you can decide on for yourself. Obviously noise is the prime factor, but at present your internal case temp at idle appears to be about 13C over ambient. That’s on the high side and probably adds about 9-10C to your baseline temperatures over active fans. It is that ambient temperature and not the cpu keeping the liquid temp at the current level. If you wanted to test more fan speed vs temp reduction you could try more on the intake and exhaust case fans while leaving the radiator fans at nominal levels. The resistance from the rad usually makes those louder. However, I now am wondering if you have the 360 front mounted and thus their fates are intertwined. If so, radiator fan speed is always going to be a prime factor in the case ambient and plays a dual role. That’s a fact of life with front mounting the radiator as the only intake. I tend to prefer active fans at a low state vs completely off, but this is a user choice and the differences are usually easy to see.

The pump is trickier to find the minimum since flow rate is going to be highly dependent on loop design. With one cpu block and one radiator, you should have a relatively low resistance and a direct tube path vs a lot of up/down travel between multiple components. There is some minimum pump speed where the fluid does not exit the cooling fins fast enough at 100% load and adds an extra 10C to the max, which in combination with a higher baseline coolant level would be a problem. This would only matter if you have sudden bursts of all Core load while working on the desktop ( or start a stress test in this state). Aside from that, I think you can knock it down to 1500 rpm without issue and that probably is still above the stagnation point for 1 block/radiator. You’ll be able to tell if you hit that even at idle with an extra 5C or so on the cores in their normal state.

There is no specific universal minimum pump or fan speed that works for all people or systems. Fans you can decide on for yourself. Obviously noise is the prime factor, but at present your internal case temp at idle appears to be about 13C over ambient. That’s on the high side and probably adds about 9-10C to your baseline temperatures over active fans. It is that ambient temperature and not the cpu keeping the liquid temp at the current level. If you wanted to test more fan speed vs temp reduction you could try more on the intake and exhaust case fans while leaving the radiator fans at nominal levels. The resistance from the rad usually makes those louder. However, I now am wondering if you have the 360 front mounted and thus their fates are intertwined. If so, radiator fan speed is always going to be a prime factor in the case ambient and plays a dual role. That’s a fact of life with front mounting the radiator as the only intake. I tend to prefer active fans at a low state vs completely off, but this is a user choice and the differences are usually easy to see.

The pump is trickier to find the minimum since flow rate is going to be highly dependent on loop design. With one cpu block and one radiator, you should have a relatively low resistance and a direct tube path vs a lot of up/down travel between multiple components. There is some minimum pump speed where the fluid does not exit the cooling fins fast enough at 100% load and adds an extra 10C to the max, which in combination with a higher baseline coolant level would be a problem. This would only matter if you have sudden bursts of all Core load while working on the desktop ( or start a stress test in this state). Aside from that, I think you can knock it down to 1500 rpm without issue and that probably is still above the stagnation point for 1 block/radiator. You’ll be able to tell if you hit that even at idle with an extra 5C or so on the cores in their normal state.

You are correct on the 360 being mounted in front. I have the 4000x rgb case and was the only choice. Hind site I should have pieced this together unstead of a loop kit. But I am going to change the case out to the 5000x which will give me top, side or front for the 360 rad. The old case after adding the pump looked like there was no room to add the 3080 gpu I plan on next. Should I add an extra 360 rad run one on top and side then have fans pulling from the front then pushing out the side and top and one pushing out the back? Any recommendations? I ran far cry 5 last night and cpu got up to 72c and gpu 80c

With a 3080 you will need another radiator, just one 360 for CPU and GPU will be pretty toasty unless you leave your fans at full speed, and still, better take the front panel and filter off :p

As C said, i'd usually advise against stopping the fans completely. Ryzen tends to heat up a bit at "idle" so you'll likely have the fans start, stop, start every few minutes.

When you'll have two rads, you can still turn off the fans on one and leave the others running slow, could work too.

Lastly, if you are using the default HydroX fan curves, definitely get rid of these and create your own. with 25°C ambient you could aim for like 30°C water temp at idle, or less, depending on how restricitive the case is. your current water temp would be what you see at full load typically.

A 360 for a 5800x is very easy game, it only comes down to airflow, and not having a ridiculously slow pump speed.

I personally keep it at 50% with two blocks and 3 radiators. 50-70% should be good enough, try to find a speed that doesn't resonate too much with the case. Usually there's no need to change pump speed with load, the temperature changes are too slim to be useful.. Like crank it to 100% for your 3Dmark runs to get that little bit of edge for a good score but that's it :)