Specs are as follows:

Crystal 570x

Full HydroX custom loop

360mm slim front

240mm slim top

HD120 fans

GPU 5700xt & CPU 3600x blocks

pump res combo with 16mm OD hardline

I built the system nearly a year ago and used purely distilled water.

My problem is the temperature readings.

I feel like the CPU is running too hot on such an overkill loop.

Does the pre-applied silkscreen thermal paste degrade this quickly?

Current ambient temperature is 29 degrees C

Loop temp via commander pro is 38 degrees C

GPU temp is 46 degrees C

CPU temp is 60 degrees C

These are temperatures at idle.

If I use Prime95 to stress the CPU it holds at around 85 degrees C

With Heaven Benchmark @4k ultra, GPU holds at around 80 degrees C

I'm not running an overclock on either the CPU or GPU

Should I re-mount the blocks with new thermal paste?

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what to do.

I'm running an i9-9900k and 3090 off a slim 280mm and slim 360mm, with 14mm hard tubing. At ambient of about 21 deg, the coolant is sitting at 28, GPU at 30 and CPU at 31.

I haven't run Heaven or Prime lately, but if I run Kombuster for 30 minutes, with an decent overclock, my GPU will max out at about 61, and CPU about 59.

Clearly, not an apples to apples comparison and yet I do think you potentially have a thermal issue. Wondering if ambient at 29 is your biggest problem?

Looking forward to hearing what the experts think.

I'm running an i9-9900k and 3090 off a slim 280mm and slim 360mm, with 14mm hard tubing. At ambient of about 21 deg, the coolant is sitting at 28, GPU at 30 and CPU at 31.

I haven't run Heaven or Prime lately, but if I run Kombuster for 30 minutes, with an decent overclock, my GPU will max out at about 61, and CPU about 59.

Clearly, not an apples to apples comparison and yet I do think you potentially have a thermal issue. Wondering if ambient at 29 is your biggest problem?

Looking forward to hearing what the experts think.

Wow !!! Your temps are incredible !!!

Wow !!! Your temps are incredible !!!

I'm generally happy with them, and yet given there is nothing else to do these days, decided to try and improve them by swapping out the slim 280mm with a 45mm thick, 360mm, and also a rear mounted slim 120mm.

It's stupid and likely only going to net me a couple degrees but boredom and idle hands are dangerous to the wallet.

Back to your issue, if you can move the rig to a cooler environment, or reduce ambient, it should help.

if you ran it on pure distilled water there's a good chance you start to have corrosion in the blocks and radiators. If your blocks are transparent, can you see if you have gunk in the fins?

your idle temps are what you should see under full load so either you have thrashed waterblocks, a pump that runs waaaaay too slow with very slow fans, or a thermal paste issue on both blocks at the same time.

Before tearing the loop apart i would check water flow, ensure the pump runs sufficiently fast (set it to 100%, does the temp go down a lot?)

Check tubing for collapsed bends on hard tubing, anything obvious that would restrict the flow a lot. if you used the silicon insert to do the bends there shouldn't be any problem there..

that said, 80°C on the GPU is insane. it's either clogged or has very bad contact with the waterblock, really weird. the 5700XT isn't really a high TDP beast.

I'm mostly worried about the state of your waterblocks, running them on distilled water. that thing can strip nickel plating in a matter of weeks sometimes. By all means whatever you do, flush it and refill with watercooling fluid,

Were the temps that bad when you first put it together?

if you ran it on pure distilled water there's a good chance you start to have corrosion in the blocks and radiators. If your blocks are transparent, can you see if you have gunk in the fins?

your idle temps are what you should see under full load so either you have thrashed waterblocks, a pump that runs waaaaay too slow with very slow fans, or a thermal paste issue on both blocks at the same time.

Before tearing the loop apart i would check water flow, ensure the pump runs sufficiently fast (set it to 100%, does the temp go down a lot?)

Check tubing for collapsed bends on hard tubing, anything obvious that would restrict the flow a lot. if you used the silicon insert to do the bends there shouldn't be any problem there..

that said, 80°C on the GPU is insane. it's either clogged or has very bad contact with the waterblock, really weird. the 5700XT isn't really a high TDP beast.

I'm mostly worried about the state of your waterblocks, running them on distilled water. that thing can strip nickel plating in a matter of weeks sometimes. By all means whatever you do, flush it and refill with watercooling fluid,

Were the temps that bad when you first put it together?

I wouldn't say my temps were terrific to start, but

they weren't this bad neither.

The nickel plating hasn't come of. The whole thing still looks prestine.

The HydroX series blocks are all clear and I don't see any obstructions.

I have noticed the "flow indicator" of the 5700xt block is stuck, but

like you said, the CPU and GPU aren't really high TDP parts.

That said, I just ran a stress test with the pump and fans at full speed.

pump ~3400 RPM

fans ~1800 RPM

Ambient temp 24C

Loop temp 36C @ idle

CPU 50C @ idle

GPU 40C @ idle

CPU 70C @ 100% load

GPU 74C @ 100% load

Using Ryzen Master CPU stress and Heaven Benchmark simultaneously.

I think I'll have to chalk it up to inefficient static pressure fans.

The temperatures steadily increase as the stressing progresses.

I don't have the patience to wait half an hour for the loop to equalize.

Also, the HD120 fans are pretty loud at full speed. Almost annoying, in fact.

I guess I'll have to take it all apart, reapply thermal paste and replace water.

the pump at full speed should read ~4800 (effectively 2400 rpm) that's odd you get 3400 for 100% PWM.. that's what i get at 75% on a D5. i believe DDC should be the same.

Do you remember the water temperature under load?

At idle, 36 water temp and 40 GPU temp seems okay-ish, but that 12°C difference between water and ambient is huge. The HD fans are still fairly good, despite being very noisy. Maybe the case is a tad restrictive and get you those temps yes...

The only test i red about this case was fairly positive regarding cooling, but you could test that yourself by popping the front glass out, and see if your idle and load temps go down. At least it would give an idea of how your loop performs. If it suddenly becomes awesome, you know your waterblocks, and paste, are still OK.

the pump at full speed should read ~4800 (effectively 2400 rpm) that's odd you get 3400 for 100% PWM.. that's what i get at 75% on a D5. i believe DDC should be the same.

Do you remember the water temperature under load?

At idle, 36 water temp and 40 GPU temp seems okay-ish, but that 12°C difference between water and ambient is huge. The HD fans are still fairly good, despite being very noisy. Maybe the case is a tad restrictive and get you those temps yes...

The only test i red about this case was fairly positive regarding cooling, but you could test that yourself by popping the front glass out, and see if your idle and load temps go down. At least it would give an idea of how your loop performs. If it suddenly becomes awesome, you know your waterblocks, and paste, are still OK.

Popping the glass out seems like a great idea !!!

I'm just lazy because "my smart self" decided to put

it on a pedestal near the ceiling in a corner high above my desk.

Its awkward to reach and take down.

I do see a tiny bit of dust on the filter, but nothing to be concerned about.

I'm thinking maybe the rads got dust on them, but I'd have to

deconstruct the whole thing to know for sure.

But yes. You're right. Removing all the air restriction could tell me if

the blocks and paste are still fine. I'll try that first.