Corsair Community

3.2ghz overclocking

i am unsure what settings i should look at or change..i have a 3.2ghz northwood 478pin using a zalman 7000, a asus p4p800-vm board bios 1010 and twinx1024-3200xlpro..what times should i look at ad far as ddr timings, and the other..i have changed a few and rebooted my system and it just reboots itself untill i changee the settings back..i also have 2 rear fans,one side fan and a 500w power supply..

The first thing I would suggest is to watch the Corsair Memory Basics presentation. It will give you some good fundamental info on what you are trying to adjust. Also, upgrade to the latest bios version.

In my experience on that MOBO with XL RAM, you can run the timings (in this order in the bios) at 2,2,3,6 and set the burst length to 8.

Mike.

specmike,

Mike, You must be proud of your rigs here..

ASUS P4C800 E-D w/2.4c @ 275fsb, 3.3ghz DDR550 w/Corsair PC4400.

ASUS P4C800 E-D 2. 3.4e, Lock Free at 275mhz, 3.85ghz, PC4400C2.5

But are you really running the FSB at 1100Mhz?

I'm using a similar setup with the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe using a Prescott 3.0Ghz (locked at x15) and TwinX-4400C2.5 currently at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 1:1 ratio. The CPU, Northbridge, and GPU are liquid cooled, which maintains the CPU at 38C and the Chipset at 31C whilst pushing the frequency to 236Mhz (= 940Mhz FSB and 3.54Ghz CPU).

So I'm curious to know what temperatures you are maintaning at the Northbridge chip if you are running the FSB at 1100Mhz?

Ian

Yes, I am proud of my rigs, thank you. And yes, both are at 1:1 OCs with the bus at 4 x 275mhz. And, I think the 2.4c would go faster. It will run 270mhz at stock Vcore.

I've actually never measured the NB temp on either rig. However, the heatsinks stay moderately cool to the touch. I have attached a 40mm fan to each NB and they stay cool enough that they are stable.

i am unsure what settings i should look at or change..i have a 3.2ghz northwood 478pin using a zalman 7000, a asus p4p800-vm board bios 1010 and twinx1024-3200xlpro..what times should i look at ad far as ddr timings, and the other..i have changed a few and rebooted my system and it just reboots itself untill i changee the settings back..i also have 2 rear fans,one side fan and a 500w power supply..

How is your rig running? Have you had any luck? If you need any more assistance the guys at http://www.houseofmobos.com would be happy to assist.

Good luck, Mike.

Yes, I am proud of my rigs, thank you. And yes, both are at 1:1 OCs with the bus at 4 x 275mhz. And, I think the 2.4c would go faster. It will run 270mhz at stock Vcore.

I've actually never measured the NB temp on either rig. However, the heatsinks stay moderately cool to the touch. I have attached a 40mm fan to each NB and they stay cool enough that they are stable.

Interesting... specially as I'm using the same MB and Memory. From your numbers it would appear that the 2.4c is using a multiplier of 12 and the 3.2 a 14x multiplier, sweet... I'm sad to say that my Prescott chip is locked @ x15 and therefore am pushing very slowly the FSB by increments of one or two Mhz each month. Theoretically if this MOBO is capable of 275Mhz (x4 = 1100) FSB then it's maybe possible to achieve 4.1+Ghz out of that old 3.0 CPU of mine!! Maybe only with superior cooling and a lot of luck... Already I've increased vcore a notch to 1.45volts for an extra margin of stability, as we've been up to 3.6Ghz (which is only 240Mhz on the FSB) before @ stock vcore but was suspicious of it's stability. Meanwhile, I read somewhere that the MOBO temp is measured on this board at the Northbridge chip, what do you think?

Ian

I have no idea about where they measure that temp but it may be interesting to find out. I have not researched how far the prescHott 3.0 CPUs will clock. I'll keep my eyes open. If I see anyone with outstanding results on a similiar setup as yours, I'll send you a link.

Have fun, Mike.

Archived