Corsair Community

Confused with LNC or buggy one?

MikeRGB74

Recently i had a new "build", as you see in system specs.

There, i bought a Commander Pro and attached to a free usb header on the motherboard.

Then today i received my 3fan kit (SP120Elite) from Amazon, and thougt "give them a try".

The CP i supposed is 100% functional.

I attached the LNC included with fan kit to one of the 2 free usb headers on CP (someone on this forum told me it's possible to to that, no problem).

Then for test, i put one argb fan to port 1 pwm on CP, and port1 RGB on LNC (with PC turned off!)

then switched on... tried some.... well fan is 1400rpm and its a bit loud....

question 1: how to control that damn rpm via Commander Pro and iCue?

Okay i put the other 2 fans and *FRAK!!!* why the 3rd rgb port is not working? defective LNC? i have also a RGB PSU (CX550F) that i know goes on the LNC to control light effects...

Please help me... it was so - or seemed - simple before the fan kit.....

Fan speed control: Get off the three presets for the Commander. It is using CPU temp as a control variable on a curve meant for water cooling or an AIO. There is a simple fix if you do have a Corsair AIO. Performance Tab + to create a custom curve. Top right corner of new graph are the three presets again, only now you can see them, adjust them, and change the control variable to something more appropriate. Coolant temp works if you have a Corsair AIO. If you do not, choose something besides CPU temp.

GPU temp is an easy and logical choice for most people and they know their normal operating range. MB temp will work as a decent measure of ambient case temp as well, although you will need to determine the normal range. Better than that are the temp sensor probes that come with the Commander Pro. Putting one at the rear exhaust is a good assessment of your case internal temp and that is the native sensor for the Commander so the curve will function at all times, CUE running or not. The trick is learning the normal range. There is no you should be between X and Y degrees. Each case is different and moving the temp probe 2-3 cm in a different direction can bring different results. Put it some place you can live with and leave it.

Commander Pro settings: Also change the header setting from Auto to 4 pin for any PWM fans you have. This will bypass the 100% power on fan test when you start the PC.

RGB ports and fan functionality: Unclear at this point. It can be the hub. More often it's the fan. If fan #2 has a bad LED, it will cause problems for any LEDs further down the line. Try fan 2 in slot #1. If port 2 now goes out instead, you are looking at a fan LED issue. If it's always port 3 that does not work no matter how you connect the fans, it may be a problem with the port. However, make sure your Lighting Set-up in the software is correct. SP-Elite/Pro (8 LEDs) x 3 fans. If you select the wrong SP fan (SP-RGB), it will only generate 4-4-4 or 12 LEDs in total and make it look like their is problem half way through the second SP-Elite with 8 LEDs.

Fan speed control: Get off the three presets for the Commander. It is using CPU temp as a control variable on a curve meant for water cooling or an AIO. There is a simple fix if you do have a Corsair AIO. Performance Tab + to create a custom curve. Top right corner of new graph are the three presets again, only now you can see them, adjust them, and change the control variable to something more appropriate. Coolant temp works if you have a Corsair AIO. If you do not, choose something besides CPU temp.

GPU temp is an easy and logical choice for most people and they know their normal operating range. MB temp will work as a decent measure of ambient case temp as well, although you will need to determine the normal range. Better than that are the temp sensor probes that come with the Commander Pro. Putting one at the rear exhaust is a good assessment of your case internal temp and that is the native sensor for the Commander so the curve will function at all times, CUE running or not. The trick is learning the normal range. There is no you should be between X and Y degrees. Each case is different and moving the temp probe 2-3 cm in a different direction can bring different results. Put it some place you can live with and leave it.

Commander Pro settings: Also change the header setting from Auto to 4 pin for any PWM fans you have. This will bypass the 100% power on fan test when you start the PC.

RGB ports and fan functionality: Unclear at this point. It can be the hub. More often it's the fan. If fan #2 has a bad LED, it will cause problems for any LEDs further down the line. Try fan 2 in slot #1. If port 2 now goes out instead, you are looking at a fan LED issue. If it's always port 3 that does not work no matter how you connect the fans, it may be a problem with the port. However, make sure your Lighting Set-up in the software is correct. SP-Elite/Pro (8 LEDs) x 3 fans. If you select the wrong SP fan (SP-RGB), it will only generate 4-4-4 or 12 LEDs in total and make it look like their is problem half way through the second SP-Elite with 8 LEDs.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your kindness and detailed answers.

Then:

1. for the RGB issue: I?ve tried swapping fans 1-2-3 and ports 1-2-3... but at the 3rd port the leds blinked briefly once then *puff* no more power to led port 3 of the rgb hub. By that I'm sure that is the hub... I'll return the kit and then in near future order again maybe... (But you have to tell me, I bought the SP120 Elite BECAUSE of my CXF rgb psu... inside there's a SP120pro! Corsair say to "no mix of fans onto the same hub... sp120elite are simply sp120pro with air flow "flaps", even 8led).

2. The CP question: change setting from Automatic to PWM (4pin) for each fan i connect is easy... the next it's unclear.

I try to explain: in corsair icue (i have 4.9.350) there are some sensors in the software, but i cannot manage how to pull out the GPU temp variable... i have a Radeon RX580 that normally keeps the two fans of "her" off, then powers them up when i start a calculating intensive game (for example my beloved DOOM 2016)...

Then, the rgb fans of corsair, connected to the CP will remain off or low RPM (near silent) and then spin up when i play?

Where i can get the fan curve, to program or alter as i want?

the corsair tutorials i've found are NOT on the latest version of software... very confused with setting that have changed....

btw, i don't have a Corsair AIO water pump...

Sorry for my not-so-good english, i'm italian mothertongue and know english.... i hope that you can understand me....

Hope to hear you soon...

Greets from the beautiful Italy.

Edited by MikeRGB74

1) RGB Lighting Node Core (?) - That doesn't sound good and the hub seems likely. If you have easy return options take them or contact Corsair Support. CUE counts LEDs when it comes to RGB compatibility. So your SP-Elite (8 LEDs) and SP-Pro (8 LEDs) will work together (as well as 8 LED ML-Elite) on the same controller. You do not need a separate controller for that.

2) Fan speed control - You will need to make your own curve in CUE. For CUE 4, it is pretty much the same as CUE 3, but the UI elements are in a different place.

Commander Pro -> Cooling. This will show you all connected fans, temperature probes, and 3.3/5/12v rails. Find the "+" symbol in the bottom left corner. This will create your new fan curve.

All the points will start in standardized curve. You will want to change these to match the temperature range of your control (sensor) choice. You can drag the dots, but it is usually easier to input X/Y values into the Temp and Speed boxes above the arrow. so for GPU temp you probably don't need the fans to do much until the GPU goes above 50C, but this is really user choice. The case fans move hot air out of the case and replace it with cooler (hopefully) outside air. You don't/can't directly cool the GPU with the case fans, but it is a decent indicator of how much waste heat is being generated inside the case.

At the bottom (green arrow) is the Sensor choice. This is a drop down menu of all system detected values. There will be a lot. Somewhere on that list is your GPU and it will be listed by its formal name (Radeon RX580).

t22pbswt47161nc6g.jpg

• Confused 1

Awwww this answer sounds like "god mode" for me!!!!!

My compliments!!!

Well, i have on hand the easy way (return the both the CP and the SP120E Kit by now), but I'll keep this post in my bookmarks (and even give you a positive reputation) for the next near weeks when i'll get a new CP.

I understand now the "creation" of a new cooling profile, then next i'll give it a try. I don't want to use the CP probes (and in case when i can put into the Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB?) to not to let see behind the tempered smoked glass window of my case?)...

Should I find a "GPU Temp" in system detected values?

I thank you very very much for now.....

Little update: I also have a CX-F550 psu (Corsair) and like to control the inner argb fan (8 led, in fact is a SP RGB PRO fan), that fan differs from the SP RGB Elite from the "stator vanes" behind the elite fans... the things that control airflow direction... So you would connect all them to the LNC in which order? (1-2-3-4-5-6 like psu-fan1-fan2-fan3 (fanX on front) or fan1-2-3 then psu on the 4th port of LNC?)...

This lst little confusion is due to different answers i found on this forum: someone tells yes others no, Corsair on the official site states that you can connect CXF fan and sp rgb pro/elite case fans on the same LNC, because fan leds (8 per fan) are basically the same model.

Let me know your ideas/tips...

Edited by MikeRGB74
Anothre doubt, just in case...