Corsair Community

Max power through a 2x8pin PCIe power cable

knopflerbruce

I don't think I'm the first person to wonder if it's OK to use the same Corsair 8pin GPU cable to power a single highend GPU with two 8pin connectors on it. I seem to find different answers here, some insist on using a separate cable per 8pin, others say it's not a problem, when I google this question.

I assume that the two connectors actually have some use (if not, why bother adding a connector that's dangerous to use?), but at the same time, maybe it's not a good idea to go full 300W, on, like, an RTX 3080? I can't see the HX/HXi manuals giving any warnings about this, though.

It would be nice if a Corsair rep would settle this once and for all :)

Sure, it would be nice by Corsair to define max load for one PCI-E cable with the two connectors. I have MSI Suprim 3080 in my mining rig and I want to add another one but using 3 cables per GPU is overkill.

Mining is more of a static load than gaming and in that situation cabling requirements are corresponding higher.

I recently got the CX750F with the PCI-e cables that split into two. Is it safe to use one of these for a 2070 Super, or should I plug in both separate cables? I have some friends online who say that it's not wise to use just one cable for both 8-pin connections, as it might melt the cable. Could someone please let me know what can be done?